HELLO ALL! Newb to the Datsun 720 here!

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
Turbo_mits
Car: 1986 Datsun 720

So, My names Paul, I've had numerous Nissans (89/90/91/92/93/97 240sx, 91 300ZX, 88 Nissan Pulsar NX SE, 86' turbo 200sx, 88 V6 200sx, 99 Sentra SE-L, and now 86 720!)

My truck is an 86 720 base. No rear opening window, 2 speed wipers, manual steering, no a.c. standard cab short bed 5spd.

It has 145,000 original miles, came from a 1 owner family, 100% frame rust free ohio truck, not much body rust, fairly clean interior (aside from cracked dash) and I got it for $450 running absolutly perfect!!

I've re-adjusted the idle speed about 5 times, and I put gas in it lol, no other tech work has been needed.

I shot the whole truck in satin black, taped off all crome and kept it clean. Removed front bumper, still has lower lip ( I LOVE IT!) bumper signals hidden behind grill against high beams. Yellowed high beams as driving or "not so dark yet" lights, high beam wiring was extended to the low beams to keep bright lighting for night.

has 14" A/R outlaw2 wheels (They look okay on it for now)

No cat, 2.25" exhaust with higher flow muffler

Added a Pioneer CD player and Sony front speakers.

This truck is so bottom of the line, it doesnt even have a 12v plug inside the truck lol. Theres just a rubber plug where it belongs.

It weighed in at 2700lbs with me in it, stuff in the bed, a 40lb tool box in the cab, and a full tank of gas with no parts removed YET. So roughly 2450lbs at stock weight.

Plans:

I have no clue... I've always thought these trucks look badass, I've never seen one well modded. I LOVE the way they look, and its light... So I'm obviously intruiged. RWD, light, easy on parts cost, parts are easy to find, engine swaps are pretty much whatever my imagination and welder can bring me, and it looks NASTY (kind of a "rat rod" look right now).

So, I need you all to open my eyes to the light here, show me what I can do raping a different Nissan at my local scrap yard... I can see bringing parts from other nissans to this and with some fabbing, having something good like a 240sx steering rack, maybe a KA24E-T since the Z24 looks damn near Identical from my knowledge of the KA. Z32 black leathers, Z brake calipers and plenty of other things I dont feel like listing.

I dont know what CAN be done (at least simply), I dont know what HAS been done, and I need links, forums, build threads, pictures, and everything else I can find to help me get this thing where I want it.

I drift (for fun), and I've competed in autocross in my old STS2 1985 MR2. I've been down "Dragon 129" in my Sentra 12 times, I simply LOVE driving like a crazy person down some mountain road. Thats what I'd like this truck to be fun for.

So handling, and sliding are on my grin list!!

I'm thinking about doing a cammed, ported KA head, with a twin carb, or 2bbl carb maybe even side drafts. Lowering it out back, cranking the torsions up front, and getting the stiffest shocks I can find...

Other than just thinking this up while looking at it, I dont know if the KA head fits, I dont know if they make a side draft Mani for it, and I dont know if they make Upgraded stiffer shocks for it...

SO HELP ALL YOU CAN!!

Thanks in advance, I look foward to getting into this thing deeper than I am now!

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see what you decide.

Turbo_mits
Car: 1986 Datsun 720

Added 2 more speakers, sounds great now, not too much, just nice clean sound.

Also, I fitted and installed the 94 Civic SI seats today as well, and I'm going to give some input on issues I had, and what you'll find when trying to install honda seats in a 720.

More updates as the days go by.

I'll post a bunch of pics as soon as I get the chance.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I have both motors needing to be torn into, I just havent had Time.

I have a Z24 that needs a new head, and a KAe with a blown HG.

After seeing if they are direct swaps or not, I think I am just going to build the KAe.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Oh and from what I have seen, Carb'd KAs are sick. Its just toobad the SOHC didn't have a better head.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

the SOHC KA head is fine! miles better than the Z head!

Return to “Datsun Chat”