Heavily modified Armada in Asutralia

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Where its know as the Patrol and comes with a 38 gallon fuel tank stock.
And the guy added another 38 gallon fuel tank to it for a total of 76 gallons of fuel.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

LOVE this!

I've never been into off-roading or crawling, but I totally get the appeal of an overlander-prepped vehicle. I'd like to build one!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

AZhitman wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:02 pm
LOVE this!
I've never been into off-roading or crawling, but I totally get the appeal of an overlander-prepped vehicle. I'd like to build one!
Same here....
Let me get on a soap box here a bit...

Also Amazing how this V8 cant just take to the forced induction on stock internals and then be beaten on in all this offroading.

But my main thing is fuel.
What do I mean?
We are being told by fawning automotive journalists that "The Landcruiser is an ideal overlander" or that vehicle XYZ, is an "ideal overlander" because its a lifted 4WD lifted with aftermarket skidplates...

But that is not what overlanding is.. overlanding is not rock crawling... its not even offroading... overlanding happens mostly on dirt roads with maybe traversing the occasional washout.

So why is everyone focused on lifts and skidplates?
Because it looks cool and is easy for an afermarket firm to just bolt on and then charge for.

You know whats not easy but goes to the core of overlanding?
A properly integrated enlarged fuel tank.!

Overlanding is mostly about covering a long distance in austere driving conditions on poor surfaces in the absence of support systems... but has nothing to do with rock crawling.
But austere conditions and the absence of support systems means no gas stations.

So when internet channels present a factory lifted GX460 as "ideal overlander" or hype a Landcruiser as "ideal overlander".. its nonsensical when you look at the sizes of their fuel tanks.
They just equate "overlanding" with offroading.

A 2017 Armada with proper off road tires and a australian market 38 gallon fuel tank is a better "overlander" than all those super $$ vehicles put together.
(I am still hoping for a PRO4X Armada to come out)

But whats really important is a vehicle that either has a very good stock unrefuelled range like some of the Chrysler Corp Diesel 4x4s, or feature extended fuel tanks.
And that is what this in the vid truck has. :yesnod

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”