Heater issues, new to forum, help please...

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
jg02altima3.5

Hello Nissan folk!!

I’m new to this forum so I figure I would ask you guys if this has ever happened to you or if you have any suggestions. I did a search using the word heater and not much info came back.

Our 02 altima has this weird heater issue that will only blow warm air if the car is accelerating or if your pressing the gas in neutral. If your sitting still or release the accelerating pedal it will blow out cold air (because it’s cold now).

Any feed back would be greatly appreciative!!

JG

cocheeze
Car: 1982 Datsun/Nissan Stanza 4d hatchback

that is almost exactly the same problem I am having with my '82 stanza. ..

Do you hear the sound of water gurgling under the dash when you hit the gas after the car has been idling for a moment?

I don't know if our cars have similar heating systems, considering mine is 20 years older than yours, but I am pretty sure that my problem is a obstruction between the heater core and engine block, and the only time water gets past enough to heat the air blowing through the heater core is when I hit the gas, and thus speed up the water pump and increase the cooling system pressure.

Maybe that's your problem?

jg02altima3.5

Yo cocheeze

I do hear the water moving beneath the dash from time to time but I wasn't sure why.

How would you get rid of this?

Thanks for the reply.

JG

cocheeze
Car: 1982 Datsun/Nissan Stanza 4d hatchback

I only wish I knew!

I assume there is some kind of semi-permanent sediment blockage that the water forces by at higher rpms...

I am not sure but I assume that the heater core is an offshoot of the main cooling system, so if the core is offering resistance the water probably just takes the path of least resistance and skips the heater core entirely. But that is just a guess!

I am going to look into it very soon and I will report my findings. In the meantime, does anybody else know what might be causing our problems???

casey

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”