Heated / Cooled Seats

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Stoodo

I just picked up my 2006 M35 (non Sport w/Journey and Tech package)

The Heated / Cooled seats don't seem to do anything.

Full heat doesn't seem to make them warm. Full cold doesn't seem to cool them.

Are the changes subtle or does it sound like mine aren't working?

Thanks.

bamaSAAB
Car: '06 M35 Liquid Platinum/Bourbon journey/nav '91 Saab 9000T, '05 Mazda3, 3 other older Saabs

I leave my cool on full all the time...it is noticeable. My passengers seem to notice the cool immeadiately. The force is low, but on a longer drive (hours) it is very comfortable. The heat, I've not experienced. I don't expect that its anything like the seat heaters in my old Saabs..more of a warm breeze..

ghstudio

I suspect the only way you will be able to tell that they are cooling at all is if you drive with a kilt

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ghstudio wrote:I suspect the only way you will be able to tell that they are cooling at all is if you drive with a kilt
LOL!

From others responses, ive heard you cant really feel the coldness in the seats however it helps so that your back and legs dont get sweaty and sticky against the leather...

Also, which i kinda think is a bummer, the heated seats will not warm up until you are at full operating temp. Remmeber that the heated and cooling seats run off the HVAC system..... theres just a tiny fan inside the seat that circulates air. If you look at the HVAC diagrams youll see things going from the HVAC to the seats, much like vents.

jshattner

In fact, they do not run off the HVAC system. I also thought that was the case, 'cause mine never seemed to heat up until the car was warm. But it was ponted out to me through a link (which I'm now trying to find) that the seats in fact have their own "ecosystem" - a chip embedded in the seat that cools on one side and heats on the other when current is applied in one direction or the opposite, and a fan that blows the air from the chip surface through the seat.

Sounds great in pronciple, and the manufacturer claims their's is the one used by Mercedes et al as well, but to me it needs work. The heated seats were useless in my Montreal winter.

jshattner

Found the post. Since this forum deems not to accept links, you'll need to get to Amerigon's site on your own:

The seats are heated and cooled by utilitizing the PELTIER Effect. The Peltier device is manufactured by AMERIGON.

- Tied to the HVAC system? No, not really, but warm air doesn't hurt. - They do need air to circulate through them so they have integrated fans in the seats. - Heaven forbid you put ANYTHING under the seat and block the filtered air intake. - Maintainence on the filters is important. - To avoid damage due to hot/cold expansion/contraction, the seats run on low power for the 1st 60 seconds.

--> AMERIGON

--> Installed In These Cars [Including the M35, M45, Q45 and Nissan FUGA]

--> PELTIER Effect [Scroll Down]

- - - - - -

- - - - - -

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Feel free to post the link. We like people linking to other sites for techical information, but not for the sake of posting on other forums. I think you can understand that

jshattner

Ok Wes.

Seat climate control system is made by Amerigon (www.amerigon.com). Check the "Products" section for engineering overview. Interesting stuff, but, as I said before, the heating side (at least) doesn't cut it in cold climates. I have not owned MB climate-controlled seats, but I have owned their (and Lexus's) heated seats on both E and C-Class, and I doubt their top line climate seats perform worst by relying on the Amerigon system to heat. Must supplement it with a real heating element. Infiniti M's heat sucks big time.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Thanks... I may turn this info into an article for the INFINITI ARTICLES. if you wanted to make one, I can post it for you (only moderators can post in the artilces forums) and you woudl get full credit

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

Stoodo:Welcome to the forums.

And welcome to a common grip with the "heated" seats. They aren't worth much compared to the more common heated seats with a heating element in the seat. My wife's FX can toast your buns. But my M leaves you wondering why Infiniti bothered.

Now that it's warm, I'm able to enjoy the cooling. That has worked quite well.

Stoodo

Thanks for all the replies. My wife is annoyed because she enjoyed the heat properties that can help a sore back. I guess I am out of luck on the M.

The cooling is starting to kick in nicely though.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”