Headunit Swap

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack
Sold - 14 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Premium, Sport Pack

Thoughts on this Alibaba head-unit?

I don't see the Gromm vline as worth it vs going with something like this. Any one have any experience on this unit/similar? Any potential issues to expect (besides the normal Alibaba concerns)? All of the ones I've looked at claim to be "plug and play", just concerned with issues with the Bose system/cameras.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I think one or two people here have tried those and there is some issues, just like there is with the GROM. Basically, it depends on the user and what they are willing to put up with. I love my GROM so much I got another (the VLite new one) for my wife's QX60. That one is strictly AA/CarPlay, no other apps, etc.

Lutkis
Car: 2009 Nissan Fuga 370GT Type S

conaigh wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:43 am

I don't see the Gromm vline as worth it vs going with something like this. Any one have any experience on this unit/similar? Any potential issues to expect (besides the normal Alibaba concerns)? All of the ones I've looked at claim to be "plug and play", just concerned with issues with the Bose system/cameras.
I have this https://www.realmediashop.de/10-Touchsc ... i-Q70-M37X
and I have major problems with it. Can't get any signal to my aftermarket amps and none of the buttons below the screen work. I haven't tested the OEM rear camera but I assume it doesn't work either, let alone the side view mirror camera.

I've been in touch with their support but it doesn't look good. I'm guessing it's the harness that's causing the problems.

conaigh
Car: Current - 18 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa, Stone - Essential, Sport, Proactive Pack

Lutkis wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:20 pm
conaigh wrote:

and I have major problems with it. Can't get any signal to my aftermarket amps and none of the buttons below the screen work. I haven't tested the OEM rear camera but I assume it doesn't work either, let alone the side view mirror camera.

I've been in touch with their support but it doesn't look good. I'm guessing it's the harness that's causing the problems.
In the 45 minutes or so I spent browsing, the linked one seemed to be the "best", at least in terms of advertised specs.

The lack of reviews is concerning but I'm sure the # of people willing to and buying these are pretty limited.

I'm somewhat willing to roll the dice on it / a similar unit as I browse more - I'm more-so concerned with how it will effect / interact with the Bose Audio. It looks like most have a setting in the headunit for "Factory" vs "Aftermarket" amp and looking at the one you linked Lutkis, it seems there is a menu for that https://www.realmediashop.de/DOKU/LDS_HANDBOOK_EN.pdf, page 13 of the link, if you haven't tried that yet. I don't plan on going aftermarket amp / subs / speakers anymore with the issues I had trying to add subs to my 2014 but it also seems like swapping to something like this would make that easier, if the aftermarket amp settings works.

conaigh

Ilya wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:05 pm
I think one or two people here have tried those and there is some issues, just like there is with the GROM. Basically, it depends on the user and what they are willing to put up with. I love my GROM so much I got another (the VLite new one) for my wife's QX60. That one is strictly AA/CarPlay, no other apps, etc.
I think what I struggle with when it comes to the Grom is the specs - do you primarily use the VL2 in your car for Car Play, or do you use some Android apps with it? Any freezing/stuttering/sluggishness to it?

The VLite looks interesting - any idea of the specs on it? I'm assuming same guts as the VL2, just minus the Android OS side.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

conaigh wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 am
Ilya wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:05 pm
I think what I struggle with when it comes to the Grom is the specs - do you primarily use the VL2 in your car for Car Play, or do you use some Android apps with it? Any freezing/stuttering/sluggishness to it?

The VLite looks interesting - any idea of the specs on it? I'm assuming same guts as the VL2, just minus the Android OS side.
I used to use my VL2 with it's native apps for Waze, Google Maps, YouTube Music, PlexAmp and Torque (for OBD-II info on screen). It's definitely not the fastest system and isn't going to be as snappy as your phone, but I think the biggest gripe I have is Infiniti's screen which is not very good for a touch screen. That being said, I never expected it to be like my phone so other than the audio/video delay when using YouTube or YouTube TV, I'm very happy with the rest of the system.

The VT2 is in my wife's QX60 which has a MUCH better touch screen and it feels much snappier.

Since getting the VT2 for our QX60's, I've switched to using both the VL2 and VT2 strictly for Android Auto. Works fine for my needs. Better than the crap OEM systems Infiniti put in these cars.

conaigh

Thanks for the feedback - pretty torn now. I hadn't seen the VT2 (sort of dismissed Grom as a fallback option based on the VL2). I don't mind CarPlay only with the VT2 - there are workarounds to get non-CarPlay apps to function with CarPlay.

Reading up on the VT2, if you could confirm, it looks like it hijacks the USB audio input/display mode on the factory screen. I'm assuming that means if you want to listen to AM/FM/XM/other bluetooth device, it won't display CarPlay? Cameras display pretty quickly?

Nice video btw

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

conaigh wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:26 pm
Thanks for the feedback - pretty torn now. I hadn't seen the VT2 (sort of dismissed Grom as a fallback option based on the VL2). I don't mind CarPlay only with the VT2 - there are workarounds to get non-CarPlay apps to function with CarPlay.

Reading up on the VT2, if you could confirm, it looks like it hijacks the USB audio input/display mode on the factory screen. I'm assuming that means if you want to listen to AM/FM/XM/other bluetooth device, it won't display CarPlay? Cameras display pretty quickly?

Nice video btw
That is correct, it’s one or the other. I’ve never had any issues with my front or rear cameras interacting with the VL2

Lutkis

conaigh wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:30 am
Lutkis wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:20 pm

In the 45 minutes or so I spent browsing, the linked one seemed to be the "best", at least in terms of advertised specs.

The lack of reviews is concerning but I'm sure the # of people willing to and buying these are pretty limited.

I'm somewhat willing to roll the dice on it / a similar unit as I browse more - I'm more-so concerned with how it will effect / interact with the Bose Audio. It looks like most have a setting in the headunit for "Factory" vs "Aftermarket" amp and looking at the one you linked Lutkis, it seems there is a menu for that https://www.realmediashop.de/DOKU/LDS_HANDBOOK_EN.pdf, page 13 of the link, if you haven't tried that yet. I don't plan on going aftermarket amp / subs / speakers anymore with the issues I had trying to add subs to my 2014 but it also seems like swapping to something like this would make that easier, if the aftermarket amp settings works.
Thanks for the users guide. I found the aftermarket amp setting when I went through the settings but it didn't make any difference. My main goal now is to get all the buttons to work and then figure out the audio issue.
Who knows, maybe they are related and one fixes the other.

The support told me that leftmost plug in the picture is for the information from the HU to display, so maybe the cable is damaged. It's the only original cable that wasn't replaced by the new harness.
Attachments
2023-04-05_9-05-35.png
2023-04-05_9-05-35.png (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

Ilya

conaigh wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:26 pm

Nice video btw
In my M56x and QX60, it effectively hijacked the iPod source. But yes, all other sources (AM/FM/XM/Disc) work just fine as do the cameras. My M5x only has a rear camera but my wife's QX60 has 360 and they work just fine, as do the AC controls. The only thing I don't like about both systems is that the AC controls (if you want to get to the climate screen) takes like 2 or 3 button pushes of the climate button for some reason. It doesn't respond on the first push. It's been that way since the beginning, years ago.

Not sure which video you are referring too, but you can find both of my reviews (plus my 1yr VL review) on my YouTube channel FstLaneUkraine.

conaigh

Ilya wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:42 pm
In my M56x and QX60, it effectively hijacked the iPod source. But yes, all other sources (AM/FM/XM/Disc) work just fine as do the cameras. My M5x only has a rear camera but my wife's QX60 has 360 and they work just fine, as do the AC controls. The only thing I don't like about both systems is that the AC controls (if you want to get to the climate screen) takes like 2 or 3 button pushes of the climate button for some reason. It doesn't respond on the first push. It's been that way since the beginning, years ago.

Not sure which video you are referring too, but you can find both of my reviews (plus my 1yr VL review) on my YouTube channel FstLaneUkraine.
It was the video on the QX60 VT2.

I've put a pause on this (my lead foot has gotten me in trouble), though I think I've decided on the VT2. Cost is slightly less than an Alibaba unit/ VL2 (which I'm sure functions fine, I just can't get out of the mindset of it seeming dated in terms of specs) and I don't want to deal with the headache/frustration of the Alibaba unit not working when at the end of the day, all I really need is CarPlay.

Appreciate the help - wouldn't have looked back into Grom as I didn't know about the VT2.

conaigh

According to Grom support, won't work on an 18. Was there harness/wiring changes from 17-18?

Lutkis

I got that Realmedia display to work. One of the provided harnesses blew the audio fuse. Button for side view mirror camera doesn't work and some other minor problems but overall it works.

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Ilya wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:53 am
conaigh wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 am

I used to use my VL2 with it's native apps for Waze, Google Maps, YouTube Music, PlexAmp and Torque (for OBD-II info on screen). It's definitely not the fastest system and isn't going to be as snappy as your phone, but I think the biggest gripe I have is Infiniti's screen which is not very good for a touch screen. That being said, I never expected it to be like my phone so other than the audio/video delay when using YouTube or YouTube TV, I'm very happy with the rest of the system.

The VT2 is in my wife's QX60 which has a MUCH better touch screen and it feels much snappier.

Since getting the VT2 for our QX60's, I've switched to using both the VL2 and VT2 strictly for Android Auto. Works fine for my needs. Better than the crap OEM systems Infiniti put in these cars.
Ilya, do you think the VT2 is snappier because of the on board processor, or is it because of a better head unit in your wife's car compared to what we have?

Ilya

Big_Tone wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:13 am
Ilya wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:53 am

Ilya, do you think the VT2 is snappier because of the on board processor, or is it because of a better head unit in your wife's car compared to what we have?
It's hard to say, but based on my 20 years of IT experience I'm going to say it's because GROM put a better chip in the VT2 vs the VL2 which has been around for a few years. I will say that the touchscreen in particular in my wifes car is better than mine. I usually have to touch the screen multiple times in the M than I do in the QX...but I don't think our M screen was really intended to be used that way other than just inputting a GPS address a couple of times a week.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

conaigh wrote:

Be glad you didn't. bait and switch seller!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”