Headset

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

So I have an adorable dog who decided to bite through my turtle beach dx11 headset wire and now I'm in the market for a new headset. Seeing as how I don't trust my puppy to not bite through another one, I'm definitely going wireless. I've been doing my research and it seems like there's a lot of options out there. As of right now, I'm really liking everything I see about Astro's....except the price tag. Gaming is my hobby and I can use the headset for multiple things, so dropping the cash isn't really too big a deal as long as I'm getting my money's worth.

Anyways, I was just curious what people out there are using and/or anyone has the turtle beach xp400 (another one I'm considering) or the astro a40's or a50's?

At this point I'd really like to hear people's suggestions or what they think about these headsets.

Thanks

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I just bought the wired PX21s. They are tight but the wire is annoying and the volume controls hang and fling around so I clip it on the mic. As far as wireless, the extra options like presets for volume and other worthless thing I will never use it came with, and the price tag just wasnt for me. Couldnt tell you anything more really besides I have a perfectly good bluetooth for you, $30 shipped :)

orangeNblue

I have an old BT headset to...sadly 90% of my gaming will be on an xbox. The surround will actually help a lot more than you'd expect. You'll have to get used to it, but once you do it really helps your game....

I'm really leaning toward those astro A50's. I'd get the A40's but they're pretty much out of stock and I don't wanna buy used bc of my luck with needing manufacturer's warranties.

I'm trying to find another dolby surround headset with all the same features and a higher rating, but I just haven't found anything. The closest ones are the Tritton Warhead (xbox only), the Turtle Beach PX3's or XP500 (which only work on the 2.4GHz bandwidth, which means a lot of popping noise bc my router is in the same room), or the TB Tango or Sierra (which are priced high enough to just go ahead with the Astro's).

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

I dont know how feature oriented you are, but I bought a Plantronics wireless headset, 29.99, and works great, I can go to the fridge on the other side of the house and still hear, battery life is about 3 hours. You cant use this set when hooked to the charge cable though, thats about its only drawback.

RCA

I'm currently using TB HPA2s PC headset for Xbox and PC.

My brother is selling TB refurbished x31s.

orangeNblue

Thanks for the recommendations....

The only issue I've had really with the turtle beaches is that they do get really uncomfortable after playing for a while. Their cups don't rotate so you can set them on your shoulder while playing...I do like the fact that they have built in explosion control (as in if you've got em cranked up to hear footsteps and a grenade goes off, the sound is suppressed so you don't go deaf) but I'm pretty sure the astro's do this as well.

I have been looking at the TB XP400 which is pretty much the only TB headset I like that's under $215. The TB Tango and Sierra look really awesome too, but at their price range it makes more sense to get the astro's based on specs alone.

is there anyone out there has experience with astro's and could tell me their thoughts??

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

stebo0728 wrote:I dont know how feature oriented you are, but I bought a Plantronics wireless headset, 29.99, and works great, I can go to the fridge on the other side of the house and still hear, battery life is about 3 hours. You cant use this set when hooked to the charge cable though, thats about its only drawback.
You can't go wrong with Plantronics. Their main market is professional call center headsets so they know their s***. Their build quality can be a bit iffy but they always have great audio and mic quality and their noise-canceling mics work better than most.

I have two headsets at home:
A $30 wired Plantronics 510 (non-USB). The ear cups are small and get painful after a short while, but audio is good for the price.
A Sony Wireless Stereo Headset. On the PS3 it supports 7.1 virtual surround. On the PC it just does stereo. Range is a lot shorter than I'd like. But they're not overly bassy like a lot of gaming headsets are, which is great. They work best with the PS3 but I'll use them on the PC when the Plantronics get uncomfortable or when I can't afford to be wired (watching Youtube videos while ironing, etc.). The frame is well padded and quite comfortable. Battery life seems inconsistent, but I think it's a charging issue. I've gotten 6 hours out of them on several occasions, but I've also had them die after 2-3 when they wouldn't charge any further.

orangeNblue

So....after some thought and input I may end up going with the XP400 from turtle beach....

I really want the astro's but these have a lot of really good features and will only end up costing me around $185, which is much less than the $320 the astro's would cost....

I wish that turtle beach would show the price for the upcoming BO2 sierra model, just so I could compare it to these....

Thanks again for all the input guys....I'll write up a review when I actually pick them up in sept just in case anyone is interested...

Return to “Gaming”