Heads-up Sunroof leaking?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Bern123
Car: 2006 Infiniti FX35, 2008 Infiniti EX, 2005 Traxxas Revo Nitro (ok RC car)

Before we purchased the EX, we did some research and only found some EX problem posts about leaking sunroofs (we found about eight reports). So the day we picked up our EX, I checked the sunroof seal and guess what, it had a tear in it already!! I pointed it our to my sales person and they got it replaced in a couple days.

What we came up as the cause was that the seal is VERY thin to start off with. When they remove the protective plastic that they ship the vehicle with to protect the paint, they could potentially cause the damage when removing/ripping it off. With it being on top of the roof, very few people notice it...until you take it to the carwash or it rains.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Thanks for the tip, Bern and welcome to our group!

Here are links to a couple of threads related to sunroof leaks:zerothread?id=342116http://forums.nicoc ... ?id=325134

Cheers,David

Bern123
Car: 2006 Infiniti FX35, 2008 Infiniti EX, 2005 Traxxas Revo Nitro (ok RC car)

Thanks for the links dividedhighw. I need to play around with the search feature on this site, not getting the results I am looking for. My issue is definatley a little different and more of a physical damage issues during the detailing process at the dealer. So far no leaks from my new sunroof!

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

When I went for an oil change last week, I asked them about reports on sunroof leaks and they service manager told me it was normal for some condensation and water to come in and that there was a built in drainage track in the back of the sunroof to catch and keep water from entering the cabin. Sounded like BS to me. Has anyone heard that one before?

joeydbme
Car: 2008 G35XS

Well i can tell you that I own a 2008 G35Xs sedan (love it). However, I have been living a real horror story dealing with leaks in my sunroof when going through our local power wash. It does not leak in rain but has leaked in a major downpour (very little). Trust me, I'm not trying to downplay this but instead trying to talk myself out of a visit with a lemon Law attorney as I have discussed this problem with both the smug dealership and Infifniti Services (what a joke). I was told that the power wash was not considered normal conditions and that they cannot recreate the rain effects I have mentioned several times to them. To make matters worse, the dealer, has scratched my bumper, repainted my roof after they wet sanded it down to the metal and proceeded to buff my black car with a buffer that left swirl marks on the entire paint surface...and then had the pair to say that I was a very particular customer.

Wheew! I feel better now. To answer your question...yes the Infiniti moonroofs have leak issues.

I'm sorry..I should also mention that my car has had the moonroof fixed three times and has been in the shop on and off since August 2008.

sublime1017
Car: ex35 journey with nav and premium package. RWD

Yes, sluday, I was told the same thing about the drainage track as well. I have leakage when I go through a high pressure wash or drive through a bad storm. The water doesn't come into the cabin as Infiniti claims. I do feel some sort of metal track in the back of the sunroof area. I still wipe the area dry with a towel after a high pressure wash or heavy drain. Kind of disconcerting but, again, nothing appears to be coming in the cabin and I don't see water stains on the sunroof visor.

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

sublime1017 wrote:Yes, sluday, I was told the same thing about the drainage track as well. I have leakage when I go through a high pressure wash or drive through a bad storm. The water doesn't come into the cabin as Infiniti claims. I do feel some sort of metal track in the back of the sunroof area. I still wipe the area dry with a towel after a high pressure wash or heavy drain. Kind of disconcerting but, again, nothing appears to be coming in the cabin and I don't see water stains on the sunroof visor.
I was wondering where the water drains to if the have a so called "drainage track"???? I am guessing that it just sits in a tray and then dries out. If Infiniti knows about a water seepage problem in the roofs, why not just build a better roof seal then have a drain system track?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”