Headroom in a 320 truck

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
swingaxle

Hello

I am gioing to buy an L320 here in a few weeks and was talking with a friend who had owned one in the past. I am 6 feet tall and he said I would have a very hard time fitting into and driving one due to headroom and the distance from the seat to the pedal cluster. Is this true? I have never driven one but want one...if I cant drive it semi comfortably and see out the front window I might consider getting a 520/521 truck instead. I have driven volkswagen bugs for years and have no problems but I believe just from pictures that the trucks have less room front to back and top to bottom. Any inputs/pictures of a 6 foot tall person sitting in a 320 would be appreciated

Brian

Ohio L320

Hello SwingAxle

I've got a 320 pickup that I drive back and forth to work every now and then. 

I'm 6'2" tall.   The head room is not the problem. There is plenty of head room or at least ample head room. 

The leg room is not the greatest, and it takes a little bit to get used to braking, clutching etc.  It took just a little while to get used to putting on the brakes without pressing the clutch, brake, gas pedal all at once.  I've even thought about reconfiguring the Clutch pedal, so it is more to the side away from the brake. 

The seat is pretty much a 90 degree angle.  Straight bottom and straight back, and pushed all the way back for us 6 foot plus drivers.  My butt is what gives up before my legs.   I'm thinking about redoing the seat with a little more cushion some how.  But there isn't a whole lot of room in there.

It's still fun,  around town and back and forth to work about 12 miles.   I certainly wouldn't want to take it a very long trip consistently.

I've got a couple of pics I'll try to post up here later on if I think about it.

swingaxle

Thanks Ohio

Appreciate al the info and insight. I kind of figured the seat would be all the way back anyway which doesnt bother me too much. I will use mine primarily for fun and driving to and from work 1 mile each way. If you get a chance to take some pics that'd be great, take care.

Brian

Pac. coast Datsun

Same problem here with my 65 320. Im bout 5 foot 7 so headroom is not a problem. I feel a bit cramped when i drive it but i get used to it. Im also running the stock bench seat.

swingaxle

Sounds like ill go ahead and just get the truck. I grew up overseas and drove some pretty small vehicles in europe and japan so it's probably not any worse than anything ive been in in the past. I have always wanted a 320 (since 1985 when I saw one in Sacramento) so it's do or die. I know ill have a blast restoring and driving it, take care guys.

Brian

Kansas

Ohio L320

I think you will enjoy it -  Those little 320's sure do turn some heads ,  just from being unique.  Here in Ohio ,  I think I may have the only one for miles around and it's a curiosity for people that's for sure. 

Well enjoy your truck and keep us posted on it.    I never did post those pics.  I never remember once I'm at home on my other computer.  I'll try.  Good luck !

swingaxle

I am usually a pretty easy going driver, especially over railroad tracks. I have driven lowered volkswagens for years and those can be killer on the kidneys and suspension. Ewalther I might be coming down to OK city for a Volkswagen show at the end of summer. Ill post here when I come down, love to see your NL320, never seen one in person. Ill post pics of my l320 when I get it in the 320 pics section.

Brian

1963 NL 320
Car: 1963 Datsun NL320
1964 Datsun NL320

The NL320 have about 6" of extra cab length, but the head room is the same.  I am 6-2 and used to use one of my NL's as a daily driver.  I sat in a standard 320 once and would not recommend as a daily if you have long legs.

Dave

IMH

Not much for comfort.  I'm 6-2 and even with the Subaru bucket seats which are more comfortable than the stock seat, I'd rather not drive it for more than a hour or so.

[img]http://i1.tinypic.com/6ap0z9u.jpg[/img]

Return to “Datsun 320”