Headliner sagging...07' M35

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
LukeM35Tirondola
Car: 2007 Infinity M35 (Ivory Pearl - exterior) (Wheat leather - interior)

My headliner is sagging in the rear of my 07' M35. Any quick fixes? Or best coarse of action to get it repaired? Thanks.

BDanny
Car: 08 Infiniti M35S

Had the same issue. I fixed mine by purchasing E6000 Auto/Industrial adhesive from Lowe's, applied it and liberally and then used a couple of devices to hold it to give it time to cure. Had a couple of folders in the back and used them to hold up the headliner.

LukeM35Tirondola

thank you very much

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I have noticed a small area of headliner near the rear roof mounted video screen that is sagging slightly. I bought this 3M headliner adhesive on Ebay for $20.
I haven't used it yet. My dealer says it won't work and the entire headliner needs to be replaced for about $2,500. Big surprise there, LOL. I am going to take the car to one of the custom auto upholstery / leather shops who claim they do great work on headliners. Based on that estimate, I may decide to have the fabric changed to a similar shade of suede or attempt a DIY re-glue. Worst outcome is that I'm out $20 for the can and I'll have the custom shop change the entire fabric to suede.

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

I had a 2007 M45 Sport with the same issue. I was putting in a stereo so I figured I would tackle the headliner. How hard could it be, right? HA!!! Really freaking HARD.
After you have pulled out your entire interior and still possibly cracked the headliner backing trying to squeeze it out the door, you’ll notice that all the Velcro tabs that hold the backing to the roof have come unglued from the backing due to heat.
Then, you’ll peel the original material off only to find that it wasn’t the adhesive that gave out, it was the thin foam that the OEM material had on it that dried out and came apart from the material, and stayed stuck to the backing. So, you can’t reuse the original material. If you do....like I did.....you get to see every little bump from the backing show through the material since the foam isn’t there anymore. That means you have to buy new material.
It also means you get to spend five hours scraping the old foam and adhesive off the backing.

Oh, and it took me 5 cans of headliner adhesive to finish the job. I am never ever ever ever EVAR doing that again.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Sstupid wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 am
I had a 2007 M45 Sport with the same issue. I was putting in a stereo so I figured I would tackle the headliner. How hard could it be, right? HA!!! Really freaking HARD.
After you have pulled out your entire interior and still possibly cracked the headliner backing trying to squeeze it out the door, you’ll notice that all the Velcro tabs that hold the backing to the roof have come unglued from the backing due to heat.
Then, you’ll peel the original material off only to find that it wasn’t the adhesive that gave out, it was the thin foam that the OEM material had on it that dried out and came apart from the material, and stayed stuck to the backing. So, you can’t reuse the original material. If you do....like I did.....you get to see every little bump from the backing show through the material since the foam isn’t there anymore. That means you have to buy new material.
It also means you get to spend five hours scraping the old foam and adhesive off the backing.

Oh, and it took me 5 cans of headliner adhesive to finish the job. I am never ever ever ever EVAR doing that again.
sounds to me like im just going to end up using some tacks to put it back :)

this car's interior quality is the worse of any Infiniti I have owned yet(still pretty good in general honestly), my 98 q45 and 2001 I30 had far superior material choices inside for the interior..it ain't even close

LukeM35Tirondola

Very helpful thank you and I will keep everyone updated.

Sstupid
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport

Wow, I really went on a rant back there. I was a little drunk. :) I wasn’t lying, though. Worst job ever.

I recently was given a 2019 QX50 as a loaner while I was getting my airbag recall done and I loved the interior on that thing. It had alcantar pillars and headliner. I wish I could afford to have someone do my M with that stuff.

LukeM35Tirondola

lol no worries, airbag recall is next on the list...

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Fellow member and authorized guru for our cars, EdBwoy has several videos on YouTube detailing the horror of DIY headliner removal, etc. Anything referring to paint correction, detailing, and interior restoration, I'm DaMan (or at least one of them, lOL). However, I am most certainly NOT DaMan for this sort of project. I can see it now. I've spent the better portion of an entire day removing the steering wheel, the rear seats, detaching trim pieces, and generally turning my car into the twilight zone. The dogs will be scared after hours of my cursing, complaining, and generally going completely mad. Then, my lovely misses brings a cuppa tea and asks " So ... do you wan to visit carmax for a new car now, or shall we wait till morning" LOL.
I reckpo0n I have two choices. Either pay the dealer a couple thousand to replace the bloody thing, or find a custom shop and have them remove the fabric and replace it. Hopefully they can recover the mold without removing the mold from the car. I will update when I have details.
I highly recommend checking out Ed's youtube channel for ANY issue and complete DIY videos on many many topics:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EdBwoy/videos

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”