Headliner 95 240

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
Toddles82
Car: Computers, Water Skiing, Cars

I was wondering if I could get another price quote.

I drive a 95 240sx but the previous owner put in a sun roof so it's not a factory sun roof. How much would the materials be to replace the headliner, and I don't know much about this kinda of work, but I'm not a moron. Just wondering about the time frame and difficulty level.

rcfryer
Car: 62 Buick Invicta convertible

The headliner in your car is not a difficult one to replace or recover. Since there is an aftermarket sunroof installed, I have no way of knowing if the original headliner shell is still there or if it has been discarded. Either way, you will only need about a yard and a half of material. The cloth usually runs about $15.00/yard and comes 55" wide and has a foam backing. The vinyl with the foam backing is $18.00/yard. Either material can be glued to the original board once the old foam has been sanded off. If the original board is missing, you can use the sunroof for support in the center of the headliner and just glue the edges under the roof surround moldings. The easier way to do this is to glue the headliner in around the edges, then mount it to the sunroof frame. As with any product you purchase from us, free live support is available by phone or email. Best Regards, Ron

Toddles82
Car: Computers, Water Skiing, Cars

rcfryer wrote: If the original board is missing, you can use the sunroof for support in the center of the headliner and just glue the edges under the roof surround moldings. The easier way to do this is to glue the headliner in around the edges, then mount it to the sunroof frame.
This appears to be what the previous installed did. Either he used bad glue, bad technique or bad products but the around the perimeter of the headliner, it has sperated (top cloth like layer, and something similar looking to a filler layer). Around the sunroof, it is anything but attached right now. It looks as if the installer attempted to glue it to the sunroof frame, but that did not work. I have it tucked into the frame so it doesn't dangle on my head.

Would I be able to make a new shell? say cardboard, or plexiglass? (brainstorming out loud. Trying to come up with a thin light material.)

rcfryer
Car: 62 Buick Invicta convertible

The original shell was molded and had compound curves or contours, do it would be almost impossible to make another one. The easiest way would be to glue it around the edges and to the sunroof frame with a good contact cement. Use a foam-backed cloth or vinyl and a high temperature adhesive like vinyl top glue or Formica cement. That will hold for several years. Eventually the headliner will separate and fall down again, as that is the nature of the beast, but if you keep it out of the sun it should last for a good ten years before you have to do it again.Best Regards,Ron

Return to “Interiors”