Headlights won't switch to high beam and remain on

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
MrNomad
Car: Nissan Quest 2000

Hi. My 2000 Quest low beam headlights work fine. When I pull the stalk to switch into high beams, I hear a click, the lights go to high beams but go back to low beams as soon as I let go of the stalk. Low beams work ok and both headlights lite up on high beams as long as I hold the stalk.

Checking the manual, it says that the switch is on both sides of the steering wheel but the clicking comes from under the radio in the center console.

I'm pretty handy and could use some advice. Thanks.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Hi there, and welcome to NICO!

How long have you had your Quest? I ask in passing because some Nissan vehicles have a two-position bright stalk control. Meaning that if you pull the stalk toward you, it flashes your brights. If you want your brights to come on and stay on, you push the stalk away from you.

I don't know much about the Quest, and I'm sure you know your vehicle if you've had it awhile, so if this isn't the case, disregard my advice, and it's probably an issue with the stalk switch itself.

MrNomad

Thanks. I bought it new. When u push the stalk and jiggle it, the hi beams come on but they won't remain on. Under the console there is a relay that clicks when I push the stalk. Could that be the problem or should I assume it's the stalk switch, remove it, test and replace if defective? During this morning's test, the hi beams actually remained on.

What's involved with removing the stalk and do you have any idea what they cost? Thanks.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Okay, well it was worth a shot. I would say it's a problem with your stalk switch. For a full parts listing with exploded diagrams and prices, check out www.courtesyparts.com.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

I ask in passing because some Nissan vehicles have a two-position bright stalk control. Meaning that if you pull the stalk toward you, it flashes your brights. If you want your brights to come on and stay on, you push the stalk away from you.
I verified this since i have 2002 quest; i pushed the stalk towards the front & high beams stay on... i don't have "play" though & shouldn't be able to "jiggle it" to make it work :gotme

(1999-2002 generation with mercury villager)

may be cheaper to get one from a salvage yard since not many of these are defective.

try this section of the FSM:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/quest/2000_Quest/el.pdf

for the location of the headlight control box, but that's not the issue

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/quest/2000_Quest/st.pdf

page ST-10 will show you the part #7 & hopefully it's as easy as removing the cover #8 then unscrewing 1/2 screws to unplug the unit...

there's a better drawing on the following link:

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/2000-N ... uest-4.htm

this gives you a better view of removing the covers (1/2) then you can remove the stalk/switch :whistle:

MrNomad

THANK YOU and thanks for manual section.

MrNomad

My thanks to all who responded. The switch arrived and fixed the problem. One dealer wanted $115 to "diagnose", another wanted $213 for the switch, a third wanted $130, but the online store sold it for $43 plus shipping.

10 minutes later, it was done and the wife is happy!

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

:domo: thanks for the update & $ saved!

i recently did a blower motor resistor replacement & saved a boatload of $ as well :thewave:

Return to “Quest Forum”