headlight nightmare II

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
KSee777

my battery died as I was retracting the headlights a few days ago. I just got a new battery and now, the headlights won't go up or down. :bash

SWIFT_DRIFT

This is prolly a wierd suggestion, but will take 5 seconds. Unplug the headlight motors, plug them back in, and then push the headlight popper-upper button inside your car. See if that works?

KSee777

i tried that but no go

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

isn't there a manual crank? Think I remember seeing one on my old '89, looks like one of those 7 ounce beers but shorter. If so lower the headlights down and then hit the button to pop them up and see if it works.

Just a thought :)

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Dude i had the same problem... but mine went down again when i charged the battery...

SWIFT_DRIFT

Yeah if they didnt automatically reset, like after you tried replugging them in...try doing the manual method, that should reset them.

KSee777

i did that, but still no go..... AAARRGGGHHHH.... POed now.... :help

FrEaK

maybe your battery doesn't have enough juice... take it somewhere and have them try a bunch of diff batteries... then go from there....

SpeedingMonk
Car: drifting, nissans, and keeping all other cars behind me

doesnt it take more power to start the car than to turn on the headlights?

"KSee777 my battery died as I was retracting the headlights a few days ago. I just got a new battery and now, the headlights won't go up or down "

are thay all the way down? or stuck in the middle?

if thay are althe way down my guess would be a short or defective headlamp motors ( possably due to a short) i would make sure there not cought on some thing holding the lights down/ inplace prob not too probable... tho id still check

i say a short cuz ur battery died... if ur new battery dies id say its most defently a short but theres know way to tell how long that would take... u can go get a multimeater/volt meater and check the volts w/ every thing off should be 12Volts + and than check it again while an assistant turns the lights on if theres a draw or a big loss of power (volts)... short ill check what the draw is on mine if ud like peace good luck

KSee777

i found out it was my fuse. I replaced it, pushed the button, but no response. I turned on teh headlight and I heard a poping sound. Ended up the fuse blew again. now I REALLY don't know what to do know. The lights worked perfectly before my battery died. I dunno whats causing the short. :help :help :help (I now bump this help to a category 3)

SpeedingMonk

"if the headlampsdo not open on the 240sx 1st check the fuseable link for the head light motor (under the hood) also chect the reactor switch. if the do not retract check the reactor control relay."

MANUAL OPPERATION the manual opnerfor the 240 is located under the hood, to the inside of each headlamp. disconnect the negative battery cable and turn the opener knobs to raise or lower the head lamp" also dont let them freez closed check all your connections if u cant find it take it to a shop be for it shorts n e thing else

KSee777

I have tried that... I don't understand how I can get a short. I didn't cut anything or rewire anything. It was working perfectly before the battery died. I hate it when everytime I fix something, somethign else goes wrong. :( But I'm a 240 nut, so I'll stick with it... :help :help :help

FrEaK

Dude try another battery...

KSee777

FrEaK wrote:Dude try another battery...

it's a brand spanking new battery.....:confused: :confused: :confused:

FrEaK

well it's like getting a second opinion... you may have the best docter in the world dianose you.. but getting a second opinion can sometimes help eleviate a problem.. just try it.. pull it out of a running car.. if that dont work.. you have a mess..

SpeedingMonk

shorts suck. u get them basicaly when ever 1 seprate wires touch this can be by cuttin / splicing wires, heat(melted plastic), water, electrity( too much) thay just happen...

bboybuya

The headlights on my car only goes up but doesn't go down.Go figure?

SpeedingMonk

lol thats what im talkin bout

KSee777

i think mine's the other way around... it goes down but doesn't go up... I haven't had time to pin point were the short is, but I'll get back to you guys on that later. :help :help :help

SpeedingMonk

good luck man

KSee777

ok... this is now pissing me off. I took everything apart/out: H/L DOWN relay, H/L RET CONT (control) relay, even both headlights. With everythig disconnected, the fuse continues to blow. What else is there that I haven't touched?

Bumped to 4: :help :help :help :help

KSee777

bump'n

topless@vabeach
Car: Electronics, anything that has trons in it.

One side of the fuse has power on it the other side goes to the equipment, in your case its the headlights. Verify that you only have your lights wired up to that part of your fuse box. It sounds that there might be other items wired up in the same circuit.

Quick trouble shooting --- Disconnect both headlites and motors from their connectors. Put in new fuse and apply power. If fuse doesnt blow then you know its towards the motor and lights. Then just add one item at a time till it blows.

If you have the haynes manual or another fix all book it will show you the whole wirring diagram for your type of car.

KSee777

i did that.... I went all the way, taking out the relays, and it still blows out.

:help :help :help :help

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Ok, haven't been in this too much. But could the Manual pop-up switch(the one on the left, above Cruise buttons) be messed up. That would allow them to come up but not come down.

KSee777

well, right now, it's not going up OR down. I took out that button also to see if that was it. But when I turn the lights on, the fuse blew again.

topless@vabeach
Car: Electronics, anything that has trons in it.

Do you know anyone who owns a Volt/ OHM Meter. If not go to radio shack and buy a cheap one. You can normally find one for well under 20$. Set the meter to the Ohm scale and put one lead on the equipment side of the fuse (thats the side leading to your headlights) the other to your car chassis. Make sure you have a good ground point (otherwords make sure you are touching bare metal not a painted surface) If it reads 0 Ohms then you have a short to ground. Just because you are blowing fuses doesnt mean you have a short. I hate to say this but make sure you are putting the correct fuse in. If you have any more info on the problem please post it.

FYI, I had a guy bring his car over my house the other night and we found his short in the fuse box. The equipment side of the fuse holder what touching chassis ground because the person who owned the car before him was very creative with some after market wirring.

KSee777

I am still having trouble finding the short... does anyone have a diagram on how the headlights work? This might help me understand more on how I can have a short in the first place.:confused:

R240NA

KSee777 wrote:I am still having trouble finding the short... does anyone have a diagram on how the headlights work? This might help me understand more on how I can have a short in the first place.:confused:

Strongly recommend buying an FSM. In the meantime, narrow it down like this, unplug everything: lights, motors, relays, AND switches. Replace the fuse and start eliminating components, unless you have something else tied into the circuit you'll know which item is bad. Start with the switch on the stalk, then the retractor switch. I'm willing to bet it's either of those two. My old 210 had a bad headlight switch when I bought it. If the fuse blows with all those items unplugged, then the output wire coming from the fusebox is bad even before it goes anywhere. You'll need to trace it through the car.

KSee777

R240NA wrote:Strongly recommend buying an FSM. In the meantime, narrow it down like this, unplug everything: lights, motors, relays, AND switches. Replace the fuse and start eliminating components, unless you have something else tied into the circuit you'll know which item is bad. Start with the switch on the stalk, then the retractor switch. I'm willing to bet it's either of those two. My old 210 had a bad headlight switch when I bought it. If the fuse blows with all those items unplugged, then the output wire coming from the fusebox is bad even before it goes anywhere. You'll need to trace it through the car.

I took out everysingle thing. I use either the stalk or the side button and the fuse still blew. So that means nothing is wrong with my stalk or button, but must be a faulty wire inbetween the fuse and whatever it goes to? BTW, where does the wire go to after the fuse??:help :help :help :help

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”