Headlight/Foglight auto on/off issue

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
yorker
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 with Premium & Driver Assist,
2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD Black/Black with Prem & Nav,
2005 Acura TSX

When the foglights are enabled in the JX, the auto-headlight feature keeps both the headlights and foglights constantly on even in broad daylight (turns off when engine's off). Only when the foglights are turned off, the auto-headlights turn off properly.

This has been confirmed by several other owners, as well as my dealer. However, this is ridiculous (what's the point of manually turning foglights on/off with auto-headlights?), and my EX properly turns both headlights and foglights on/off in auto mode.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, that's odd. It's not that way in either of my G's nor my recent Maxima.

Sinecure

This is more of a 'feature' than a 'bug,' to use tech terms. The idea being that if you need your fog lights, then the headlights should also be on. I just tested this on a brand new JX, and it works as described above (headlights on auto, they're off during day, fog lights also on, both regulars and fogs stay on all the time, even during the day).

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I can bet you if you look in the owners manual it will say they are normal. Why I cannot tell you...

I actually called Infiniti tech support on this. They are not offering an explanation why the fog lights cancel the auto on function. When I first saw complaints of this in '11 with the M37/56 we all thought it was odd, they told us it was designed that way. There is nothing at all we can do to alter its function. It is logic within the body controller that handles all aspects of light control.

The QX56 actually has a tone similar the one when you leave the headlights on and try to walk out of the car for two seconds when you cut the ignition off and it only happens when you have the fog lights on....sounds incorrect to me but I was schooled by a guy at tech support when he read the QX56 owners manual to me where it says that the normal.

yorker
2005 Acura TSX

Thanks Steve. I'm sure what'll happen is that everyone will forget the fog lights are even there and never use them (then what's the point of having them?), or unknowingly have both lights on all the time, like my wife did. Idiotic.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

I think you are completely correct.

My little Mazda has fog lights integrated into the main headlight assembly. I hate it, and only use them when needed....guess it worked on me.

In all honesty with Xenon or HIDs fog lights do little more than flood the the blue light and blind oncoming traffic.

There is nothing wrong with driving with the headlights on, it's better to be seen and most people would never think that a headlight system would function like that.

yorker
2005 Acura TSX

Wouldn't having the headlights (and fog lights) on all the time cause them to burn out much quicker than necessary?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

There is a life span of the lights but it is quite long. Now-a-days replacement is not a very common concern even if the lights are used all the time. The most wear happens when turning the lights on and off. If you drive through tunnels and or under bridges during the day with the lights in automatic mode the lights probably wear as much if not more than if they were on all day.

I wonder if that has been studied...

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”