Headlight adjustment

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

I posted about this a while ago, but I dont remember what screws to mess with.

I need to lower my headlights (S13 pop ups) so they shine on the road more, its too high.

I took off the black molded surrounding and there are two screws at the top that hold the glass to the lamp, a screw to the right that holds the lamp, a spring in the upper left and 2 screws on either side that are a b**** to get loose. Id fiddled with a few screws, but nothing that lowered the lights.

Anyone know?

drjohn

Should be a screw at the top or bottom in the center, I don't recall for sure, this screw adjusts the up and down. There should be detents in the trim you took off that shows the position of the screws.

DuKyle Motorsports
Car: Body Repair, Welding, Sheet Metal Work, Painting, Detailing, Custom Work

I just replaced my headlights on my S13. Upon replacement I had the same problems as you, and let me tell you, it is a pain to get the headlights to adjust to that perfect level, but anyway..here is the best I can do for you.

The screw to adjust the headlights (UP/DOWN) is on the bottom center of the headlight housing. You do not have to remove anything to get to this! Its like drjohn said, there are areas in the plastic showing which screws you adjust. Anyway, to lower the lights screw this screw "in". This should work. If not, there is a simple logic behind why it isnt.

Here, let me explain. The screw you are turning has a groove in it. It looks like this. This is the groove.

3--||------->

This groove goes between two pieces of metal attached on the lights housing (The metal basket holding the headlight).Check and see if this is bent They should come down flat, and have a little space between them for the groove of the screw to fit in. If it is, and the screw has jumped the slot, then you will have to take all the headlight out and fix that problem, its not very hard to do, it just takes a little time and skill. Be sure to coat the back of the housing in the places that metal rubs metal with grease, this makes it adjust so much better.

Well I hope this helps out man, later.

rc240sx

When I got my s13 a few years back my headlights were also disgustingly out of alignment. However the adjusting screws did next to nothing. I had to reabuild the whole headlight housing. Taking it apart and putting it back together. It has been working fine ever since. .

On another note. Some of the headlight screws may be rusted out and rounded. what I did was get a small saw and cut a groove into there so I could get it out with a flatblade screwdriver, then I replaced the screws. You could also use a screw extractor but be careful.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”