Headlamp / DRL refinishing

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Today it was time to clean the lenses of the headlamps, tail lamps, turn indicators, and DRLs. I used Meguiars M-101 compound and a 3-inch microfiber pad with my polisher. A single cut over lenses, then a second cut by hand on the problem areas (edges and corners). I hand rubbed the DRLs and fog lamp lenses to avoid buffer trails with the polisher. Small lenses like fogs and DRLs cannot be safely or successfully done with any polisher. Even my 1-inch Rupes I-brid does not cover small lenses like DRLs unless you remove them and do them in your hand as you do side markers, wheel lugs, etc.

I bought the last set of Vled 'flank / wedge style' amber 194 / T10 LEDs for the parking lamps about a month ago on close-out and finally installed them today. They only carry the standard 360 degree models now. You can still buy them, just not from the folks at Vled. I like the way the wedge design lights up only the outer rim of the housing. The flank, or wedge type has LEDs on one side only and no front or top LEDs. You can see the design in the close-ups below.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE .... DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE CHANGING BULBS - Our cars will melt all sorts of expensive things if you don't !!!!
Very nearly 11 years, 108,000 miles but still looking new (well ... new-ish anyway, LOL)

My detailing GuRu is Jim at White Details back home in East Midlands. People have their cars delivered / shipped to his shop where they spend the better part of a week and are returned in pristine condition. My dad has a 2009 Bentley Brooklands coupe (with 7,000 km on the clock) that lives in a garage increasing in value and it gets the "gold package" every 2 years at over 600 pounds each visit. His tips and techniques are the best education one can get for DIY detailing. I recommend his channel on YouTube to everyone who wants to keep their car looking showroom forever. Here is a different Brooklands he made an amazing transformation on:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Lookin good!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”