header question

Discuss topics related to the QR series engine.
dr_specv
Car: 04 spec v

I am new to this site and just bought my first nissan (an 04 sentra spec-v). I need to replace the stock manifold because the precat is going out and I want to go with an aftermarket header, preferably stainless and in the $300-500 price range. I have a Greddy cat back installed, I think EVO2, and I would like to eliminate the second cat too, or at least get a high flow. Any suggestions?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Header will get rid of the first cat unless it's the NISMO w/precat unit. You'll need the second cat (high flow will do) to move the 2nd sensor back for emissions, unless you use an anti-fouler or electronic sim on it.

Stainless (which, IMO, is the better way to go) best bet is an OBX with a Megan midpipe.

dr_specv
Car: 04 spec v

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going with stainless. Another question though...Are there any benefits to keeping the OEM cat or having a cat at all, other than the emissions thing?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Emissions and keeping squirrels alive or some such nonsense. All catalysts do is help get rid of some of the pollutants that would otherwise be emitted from your tailpipe.

spec_v03
Car: 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R

If you know for a fact that your precat's going out dont waste your money buying a header now cause its too late. if youre burning oil and have bad compression the damage is already done, save up for a new motor.

Return to “QR Series”