head unit wiring color troubles!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
mah_sushi

i am trying to install a stock clarion head unit from a 98 pathfinder into a 91 240sx...the harnesses dont match up and im trying to solder the wires using an aftermarket harness (it was there from a previous install to a tape deck) ...but the colors don't exactly match up...on the head unit plugs there are the following colors:

[1][2]space[3][4] [5][6][7][8][9]

[10] space [11][12][13][14][15]

1-green2-brown3-pink w/green stripe4-green w/white stripe5-red6-black w/ white stripe7-red8-blue w/ yellow stripe9-pink w/black stripe

10-empty11-orange12-empty13-black w/ yellow stripe14-light green15-black w/pink stripe

the harness im trying to solder to has the following colors:

bigger plug-white (left front positive)white w/ black stripe (left front negative)gray (right front positive)gray w/ black stripe (right front negative)blue (antenna)yellow (battery/constant)orange (illumination)red (12 volt ignition)black (chassis ground?)

smaller plug-purple (right rear positive)purple w/ black stripe (right rear negative)green (left rear positive)green w/ black stripe (left rear negative)blue w/ white stripe (? Turn on ?)

im sorry for the length of this post but ive tried searching online for info, can anyone help match the wires? Im just a newbie to the car audio thing. thanks in advance

also: i was wondering if it is possible to install this deck since i believe it isn't amplified....because the s13 has some weird speakers with the whole active speaker thing....help pls!

1991240xs

you were probably better off buying a cd player and a wire harness to hook up to the stock harness....that's what i'd do first..go buy a wire harness from hifi buy...or any audio store for that matter..then you've got the 240sx side figured out..and all you have to do is figure out the pathfinder side. The way i'd do it is buy a pathfinder wiring harness..look at where the wires come out of the plugs and write all that down..then return the pathfinder harness and use what you found out to hook it up...then you'd only have to chop the pathfinder radio harness up..and not the 240 one..

mah_sushi

sounds like a good idea kyle...thanks i never really thought of that one... :doh

but just so i can save a trip to the shop can anyone shed some light on this?

thx

1991240xs

lol..i love stereo problems man..it's my specialty...first one i installed was my sisters car..for some reason every time you hooked up the front right speaker the system lost power..(fixed)...second my girlfriends car..blew the fuse to the reverse lights everytime you turned the system on(fixed)...and in my toyota...there was no ignition power(fixed..used cigarette lighter:)) ..then my 240..the guy had tottally chopped upt he harness...i use a 1.5 volt battery to test wires to find the speakers...used a tester to find the power and ignition..and he had chopped the antenna into the new one...so i just fixed that...

I wish my head would get stolen...i even leave my car unlocked occasionally so someone doesn't have to break a window to get it..lol..not really.but i do want a new one with more than one set of preouts on the back..tee hee...i need to amp my highs , my front mids, my rear mids, and my tweeters....much fun :)

delusion_s13

yea i got a problem wit hooking up my radio/cassette to the stock wires.. when i bought my 89 s13 there was no head, only the wires hanging out wit covers on the ends.. i bought a repair manual from Discount Auto parts, and they dont tell u anything about what each wire means. i need to find out exactly what each wire is for, so i can hook up my head. ive searched and looked in the FAQ, didnt find anything.

thanks

1991240xs

One day I'll go outside and take apart mine and tell everyone what each wire means...there was a system to figuring this out though.1. You first need a constant power...this is easy..if you don't have a 12 volt tester(many different types..but usually some type of light up device when you have a full 12 volt circuit)...test all teh different wires while the car is off until you find a 12 volt source. Test your volt tester on the battery just to make sure it works real quick)tape them up...write down on a notepad the color labels..or write on them..or use masking tape and write on it...just make sure you don't loose them-2. Ignition power....same thing with the volt tester....just turn the car until the ignition is on(don't actually have to crank the car)...find those and label them.3. Next is the speakers. Grab any 1.5 volt battery(not 12 volt..you're screw up your speakers)...and just test random wires until you find two that crackle a speaker a little when you hook them up...then label...do that until you find all 4 speakers....4. The antenna is the thick black wire with the thin black wire attached. The antenna from a nissan stock harness needs an adapter to hook up to the new head unit...you can buy this at a store..or you can ghetto ring and splice it in with the use of an old trash antenna cable from another car..do youself a favor and buy the adapter.5. The antenna power is tricky. I did it by running a 12 volt power into the car(through an extrra car battery..you can use to stock one)...and hook it up to wires until your antenna goes up...6. Ground is simple...you should have grounded your tester to the chasis (any metal around the radio) when you were testing for power. Now just hook up to your constant power and test with the left over wires until you find one that makes the tester lightup too..that will be your ground...7. Unplug the battery and then splice all the wires into your new cd player/tape player/8 track/laserdisc/dvd/mp3...you get the point...cut on the car...test the player......set a preset station...make sure it stays set after you turn off the car and turn it back on...then make sure each speakers is getting power...8. roll the windows down, turn the radio up....turn the bass up to power your three 15 inch subs and then go get a ticket for having your system too loud...now that's fun :)

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”