Head oil drain plummed into catch can?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

So doing my own research i came across this post on skyline owners forum talking about the oil drain mod a lot of people like on rb25s

the prob is crankcase pressure stopping the oil returning and not to much oil going into the head,after a dyno run a couple of years ago on the test run mine through a load of oil out the breathers after turning the boost up,so thinking i'd blew my engine when i got home i did a comp test it was 175psi across the board so it was perfect so after reading posts on numerous forums i decided to use my 30 years of hydraulic experience to use, and looked at how the engine is plumbed up,so basically all i have done is connect the head drain pipe to the turbo drain which is way oversized anyway then the free connection where the head drain used to go run a pipe from that uptp the cam cover and tee into the breather pipes then to the catchcan so therefore it equilizes the crankcase pressure with the pressure in the top of the head then it allows the oil to run back down to the sump,and in the 2 years its been done i have upped the boost twice with mapping sessions with no issues
Pic for reference

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

Alot of different ways to deal with crankcase ventilation.. The only reason you push oil out is because its there to be pushed out to begin with... restrict oil passages as recommended by Tomei. port match all the oil return passages in the block and especially the head.

I have my catch can drain back to the block using the factory spot for the front head drain on RB25, it will also act as a vent.

I make 800whp and run 35psi dont have any issues.. and my motor is far from new..lol

ANVIL
Car: RB25DET S13.5

RRRRB wrote:Alot of different ways to deal with crankcase ventilation.. The only reason you push oil out is because its there to be pushed out to begin with... restrict oil passages as recommended by Tomei. port match all the oil return passages in the block and especially the head.

I have my catch can drain back to the block using the factory spot for the front head drain on RB25, it will also act as a vent.

I make 800whp and run 35psi dont have any issues.. and my motor is far from new..lol
Do you have pics of your catch can setup/routing?

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

I run a vacuum pump so my setup is a little unique compared to most.. but the oil drain/vent is on the bottom of the can, i didnt have it welded in place in the fab picture i think its a -8 runs around the back of the engine to the front oil drain spot on the RB25 block, Im using a 26 head so it doesnt have a front return.... The outlet uses a single -12 hose that goes to a vacuum pump, you can see most of it as it goes thru above the fenderwell into the bumper area.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”