Head light restoration DIY 3M Headlight Lens Restoration

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Six_Legs
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport
1995 Nissan 240SX SE 5spd

I used to do this but I've found an easier and quicker way... No masking or 3 stage sanding involved. I use Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish and a buffer. Polish goes straight on the lens and buff. Usually takes about 5min per side, that's it! IT'S LIKE MAGIC!!! One of the greatest hacks I know!

Shong1121
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35

Kirkland91 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17 am
nolmt50 wrote:What year is your car? Where do you live that they got that bad so fast?
This is 2006 m35 sport. For 5 years it has been in Texas, now it lives in Pacific Northwest Seattle. :rolleyes:
I live in Dallas and I have that problem, bought the car September of last year and my headlights are not as bad but I don't like the fact that I can see it starting to turn. I am going to purchase this and see how it do.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I use my orbital buffer and Meguiars Plastic-X polish, then apply wax after the lens is completely clean. And you DO need to mask around the headlamp as repetitive polishes of any kind will remove wax, clear coat, and damage the finish of your car's paint.

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my 2 cents. I've tried the 3M kit, and it does work. But I found that it will fog up again over time. I've heard that this is because the protective coating has worn off, which is the reason your headlight cover got oxidized/fogged up in the first place.

I found using using Flitz metal polish periodically after helps. I wouldn't use it right after using the 3M kit, but a couple months after or when you notice it starting to fog up again. I really like Flitz polish, and can't recommend it enough. It works great for lightly oxidized clear plastics, and less prone to scratch painted surfaces. You don't have to tape off the headlight, as long as you're careful.

I've heard applying a protective transparent clear headlight cover or a clear bra after cleaning/clearing up the oxidation works, but have yet to try it myself. I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

Also heard of another method is applying a clear coat after polish. But, you have to be very careful to evenly apply the clear coat, though.

Charles Bird

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Thanks. I was thinking of applying a 3M Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film or something to it after I polished it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”