Head Gasket changed now IAC code

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
jonnydclark
Car: 1995 Maxima GLE over 205k miles, 1997 4wd 4-Runner

Hello,

I changed both head gaskets last weekend for a friend on her 99 Pathfinder 3.3l. It was a pain to say the least...22 hours in mostly sub-freezing temperatures. :blush:
At this point it runs good except:
Check engine light is on - Idle control malfunciton, idle air control valve codes
idles at 500 rpm which makes it a bit sluggish when you first hit the gas and it has died 2 times at startup due to the rpm drop after initial start

I know where the IAC valve is and its position could not be any worse. I can feel both of the electrical connectors with my fingers and they are in position but may or may not be completely seated.

So the $50 questions:
If I got 2 of the vacuum hoses switched could it cause these engine codes or is it definitely electrical? Does anybody have a vacuum hose diagram I can view online?
If I have to take the throttle body off to fix the electrical connection do I need to use a new gasket? (its paper not a compression style)

Any sympathy or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

06_blkout
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V (Sold)
2003 Nissan Sentra GXE

Do an idle air volume relearn, even though it's a cable throttle (I think), idle air relearns cure 90% of ISC codes.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”