"HD" classic game releases: your thoughts.

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Recently I've been enjoying a slew of updated "HD" releasese of classic games that I either loved or didn't have the chance to experience the first time around. My 3DS and it library of virtual console and 3D upgrades on classics is the sweet spot for me. And I've snagged the re-releases of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus and Beyond Good and Evil for my PS3. I'm also a regular customer at gog.com (though those are real classics, not remasters).

I love that this is happening. I love that Hyrule's grass now has a texture resolution and color depth that don't make my eyes try to gouge themselves out. I love that I can view the spectacle of Shadow of the Collosus in HD widescreen.

But apparently some people disagree with me. I don't remember where, which is a shame, but I was reading a top-10 (or -8 or -5 or -something) list of gaming trends that need to go, and one of the trends mentioned was HD re-releases. The author went on to talk about how he thinks the direction in which the games industry should be looking is forward, not back. Which I find frankly ludicrous. So let's just pretend System Shock 2, Diablo II, X-com, Half Life, Monkey Island, Super Metroid, and hundreds of other agelessly-brilliant games don't exist anymore because they're not forward-thinking? What a tool.

I'd say anyone who believes that re-releasing Shadow of the Collosus and Ocarina of Time with improved visuals and honed interfaces is a bad thing can find the nearest cliff and trip off it. Good games are good games. Not allowing them be held back by the limited tech of their day only makes them better. And developers of good games deserve to profit off them for years to come, not just for the span of time during which they are "current."

The era that spawns a game is not what's important. The game itself is. Anyone who can't see that shouldn't be writing anything games-related.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I absolutely agree. There were alot of good games with block graphics. I've always said graphics arent everything. Some of the best ones are the first ones.

In other news, I got really excited that The Simpson's game is available on PS3. Now I dont know if you ever played them MoD and maybe youve seen it in the PS store, but the one Simpsons game I thought was legendary was the one where you could be Bart throwing tomatoes in front of the school, trying to time it just right to hit someone. Also its the same one where you can swim as Bart and had to choose between a purple or green door or something like that (I was really young). I dont think the one for sale is the same one though and I dont wanna spend $10 to find out Im wrong.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've got Plus so I snagged the Simposons game for free.

In related news, PSN is pissing me the Hell off YET AGAIN today (and yesterday). I want to buy the Jak and Daxter HD collection but the store is bork'd. Keep getting errors. I really, really hate Sony. They get an F for quality of service.

And, in case you're asking why I have Plus and continue buying PSN games when I hate Sony so much...the answer is "I want to get the most out of the console I spent hundreds on."
I love my PS3 but I hate Sony from a services perspective.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

MinisterofDOOM wrote: I want to buy the Jak and Daxter HD collection but the store is bork'd. Keep getting errors. I really, really hate Sony. They get an F for quality of service.
You get what you pay for. ;)

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

BusyBadger wrote:You get what you pay for. ;)

No you don't. Steam and Evolve both do FAR more than XBL for free with at least the same quality of service, and neither of them are anywhere near as ugly as the new "You will learn to love our new Windows 8/Windows Phone 7 tile-based horribleness whether you want to or not" dashboard. And I do PAY for Plus. Doesn't improve the service quality, only feature count.

The problem is not the pricetag. The problem is that Sony is a truly horrible, terrible, scumsucking abomination of a company whose area of expertise is treating paying customers like s*** on their shoes.
Microsoft, on the other hand, has at least a semblance of understanding of customer service, and XBL benefits from that.

RCA

Why does it always come down to console wars?

Screw consoles. My first serious PC title that I've been playing is Skyrim and I'm soo lucky I decided to go with PC. Skyrim without the "console" to type in codes to skate around bugs and glitches would be a nightmare. And now with the Skyrim Steam workshop I am making the move to PC gaming.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Buying ANY Bethesda game for an console is stupid. There's a MONUMENTALLY HUGE community out there making mods for their games, and you only get access to them with PC versions.

alms24sebring

lol, its always a consule war. I think PS3 is getting better. I dont have the hatred for Sony as MoD does but I understand why. Atleast you are getting more from your $50 PSN Plus than before. PSN servers could burn in fire I dont care, Ill still play single player games all day.

But my one complaint, 2 days ago I wanted to watch Cloverfield so I bought it in HD, dl'd it, and watched it. Apparently the sound was seriously like 15 seconds ahead the movie. I stopped and retried from the beginning but it didnt change. THAT pissed me off. Needless to say I rolled the dice and rebought it and dl'd it in standard, and it worked. But it seems like a lost cause to get a refund for a 5.99 movie that didnt work. How do I send that complaint? Movie rentals overall I think are fairly expensive too.

But back on topic. Im glad they are bringing back old games. I really want Kingdom Hearts II to come back with a trophy system.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

The only reason people apparently don't agree with it is they be jealous of all the money they be makin.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Games I would like to see re-released with updated graphics, music and processor compatibility:

X-Wing
TIE Fighter
Space Hulk
Rise of the Triad
Half-Life (still waiting for "Black Mesa")
Mechwarrior (need the reboot, but would like at least Mechwarrior 2 re-released)
Star Control 2

Console Games
Donky Kong Country
Super Mario Bros 1, 2, & 3 (NSMB for Wii was close, but no cigar)
Castlevania & Simon's Quest
Megaman
Rygar
Phantasy Star
Conker's Bad Fur Day (although the N64 cart still has remarkable playability even now)
X-COM: UFO Defense(in production -- yay!)
Altered Beast
Clayfighters
Chrono Trigger
TRON

alms24sebring

^ Nooo!! You totally stole my post. I was ganna mention Clayfighters! Awesome game that just came to mind before opening thread.

Also Commando and Killer Instinct

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Encryptshun wrote:Conker's Bad Fur Day (although the N64 cart still has remarkable playability even now)
Conker was re-released for the Xbox with updated graphics and multiplayer modes added as Conker: Live and Reloaded. It looked pretty good, with some great-looking Fur. Unfortunately, for some unfathomable reason, the Xbox release was censored pretty heavily. Most of the profanity was bleeped. Something's wrong when you can get the more adult version of a game on a Nintendo console. The Xbox release plays on the 360.

z06hellcat
Car: altima v6

:inoutgay:

alms24sebring

^ hey sexy

Im still waiting for the best re-releases from PS1 and PS2. That would be great for Gran Turismo 3 to come back with trophies system

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Encryptshun wrote:Games I would like to see re-released with updated graphics, music and processor compatibility:

Chrono Trigger
Agree with all of these except this one. For one it's been re-released twice on the psx and DS, and secondly I just don't see CT getting any better than it already is. The point I'm trying to make as well is 2d games don't benefit from an HD upgrade near as much as 3d titles.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I dunno about that. Square's 3D re-releases for FF III and IV for the DS worked very well.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

I picked up the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for the xbox 360 and all I can say is holy hell I really wish they had made the controls customizable. The controls are so horrid and a** backwards from what I'm used to that I stopped playing it.

I'd like an HD collection of all the Legacy of Kain games.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:I'd like an HD collection of all the Legacy of Kain games.
Hell yes!

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

I was pretty dissapointed with the conker release for xbox. I had lost the copy i had for n64 and figured it would be the same.

alms24sebring

Ive only payed one Legacy of Kain (which also played with Soul Reaver), but it really was an awesome game. I have great memories of it, I just wish I could remember which one it was.

But I remember being about 1/3 of the way through it and a door wouldnt open so I was stuck but I didnt know it. I would cuss at it for about a week for eunning up and down the same trail 50 times before restarting the file, then the door opened when I got back there.

Edit: Im pretty sure it was LoK Defiance

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

Defiance was the last game in the series, I love LoK so much that I have the soundtracks for all 5 games and have put serious consideration in getting Kain and Raziel tattoos ( one on each leg).

alms24sebring

I wanted Sweettooth from Twisted Metal on my back next to my other one since I was 17 (like 7 years ago). Ive been a diehard fan since the first.

Return to “Gaming”