Having an issue and could use a hand - shuddering engine

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
Pixilox
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

I have had my 2008 Altima Coupe for just about two years (bought used). In that time I haven't had any issues, but now I do! Last month I had to replace two ignition coils and the brake petal switch. This month brings more fun and a parked car (for now). I drove to the store on Wednesday and all was well. Started fine when I went to leave, but when I put it in gear it shook violently and quit. Tried it again and was able to limp it to a clear area to have it towed home, thinking it was another coil that had to be replaced.

Well, I scanned it and had P0725 pop up so I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, cleared the code and took it for a spin around the block, where it shuddered violently halfway through, though it didn't die. Tried to scan again and got no codes, so I unhooked the battery and let it sit for awhile, hooked it all back up and scanned again, no codes. Decided to take it for another spin and only made it two houses before it shuddered again so I scanned a third time, thinking since I made it do something it would have a code. Nope.

So this weekend I plan on replacing the Cam Shaft Sensor, but I was wondering if there's anything else I should check while under the hood? Could any other sensors have gone bad and not register a code? Should I have the dealer take a look as well, since it's still under warranty (though I doubt this sensors are covered)?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Is it the 4 cylinder or 6?
If you're driving when its shuddering, and you put it in neutral and try to rev it, does it still shudder, or is it smooth?

Pixilox

It's a 4 cyl. It's not as pronounced when idling but when put into gear it's very bad and the only way I can describe it is it feels like someone is slamming on the brakes continuously.

I did replace the sensor and take it for a spin but that wasn't it. I rescanned and got that Number One was misfiring, so I replaced that Ignition Module, cleared the codes and tried again. Still did it, so scanned again and this time I got P0304 and a message that Number Four is misfiring.

Pixilox

RESOLVED:

Ended up replacing all of the Ignition Modules. Three out of the four had cracked boots and were arcing and while I could have just replaced the boots I just replaced all of them. Scanned and no codes. He runs much better :).

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Good deal. Thanks for following up!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”