Haven't posted here for two years...a few updates and photos

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
frans-c

Hi, guys!

Like the topic says, I haven't posted here in about two years - guess an apology would suffice .

Well, let's see. In the past two years the Datsun's brakes have finally been sorted out - seems the master cylinder had some or other bleeding/adjusting screw that was loose and leaked out all the brake fluid. Must say, I'm amazed at the all-drum setup's stopping abilities :D . Just a pity they aren't self-adjusting, though.

I've also fitted brand new, correctly sized tires. Was rather expensive, but I think worth it. The old re-treads were starting to scare me :D .

Some unfortunate stuff also happened. I recently backed into our driveway's one corner wall - I should probably add that I was going at some silly speed. I'll be the first to admit that it was my fault, but the stupid floppy side-rearview mirror is also partly to blame - if it would've just stayed in place :D .  The result was a badly pressed-in bumper and some nasty body damage. Luckily all that was required for the bumper was some good ol' muscle power : . Can't even see it was busted in, not even a scratch!

Well, not long afterwards, I decided to do something about the rear-view mirrors. I replaced them with new aftermarket ones which are originally intended for the old Datsun 1400 pick-ups (don't know if you know which one I'm referring to). They're not chrome, unfortunately, but at least they didn't require any modification.

Some might recall that the original Nikki carburetor was replaced with a new Weber. Unfortunately the fuel consumption of the Datsun isn't too great (what do you guys average?). So, in an effort to drive as economically as possible, I fitted a tachometer. It fits in quite nicely with the rest of the instrumentation - it even lights up a nice green like the instrument cluster : .

I recently had the Datsun serviced, so I'm yet to check on its consumption. 

Well, guess that's it for now .

dat521gatherer

welcome back. nice truck. you must be located outside of the us. i've never seen tailgate handles like that. what year is your truck? how about another interior pic and under the hood? does your bed not have a fuel door?

IMH

dat521gatherer wrote: Quote »welcome back. nice truck. you must be located outside of the us. i've never seen tailgate handles like that. what year is your truck? how about another interior pic and under the hood? does your bed not have a fuel door? [/quote]Those almost look like L320 handles mounted on the back instead of the side like a 320.  Must be a market variant because they do look like they are original.

frans-c

dat521gatherer wrote: Quote »welcome back. nice truck. you must be located outside of the us. i've never seen tailgate handles like that. what year is your truck? how about another interior pic and under the hood? does your bed not have a fuel door? [/quote]Check out my other thread of two years' back in the 520 Albums section .

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome back frans-c!

You have a very nice ride. :dude:

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”