Have you got your transmission replaced to fix the noise?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
denrama

I just want to keep track of people that are considering to fix noise issue in Rogue.

desiguy

I just got a call from the Nissan dealership and they said that Nissan Canada has identified my car as a faulty tranny and a new one is on the way.

I reported it to them 6 - 8 months ago.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hey desiguy,

I am curious how so many of us are getting slightly different stories from our dealers. Most of us are told that the problem hasn't been solved yet, Nissan is working it, and just wait for a fix. I wonder how Nissan identified you as a faulty tranny that requires replacement?? Do you know if it had anything to do with the manufacture date of your Rogue, or perhaps you've been waiting so long they decided that 6 months was too much, and you deserved a new tranny? Most of us are told that changing the tranny doesn't guarantee the noise won't return, so Nissan recommends waiting - did you get this message too?

Thanks for sharing, it is much appreciated.

desiguy

I have had the vehicle since Sept 2007. I complained about it shortly there after. They had said that I was the second client to make complaints about it and they said that Nissan is looking into it. I received a voice mail from the dealership saying that an upgraded Tranny was authorized by Nissan and they have ordered it. They said that this should resolve the tranny problems. I am going to call them today and confirm what I was they left on my voice mail.

alloveru
Car: 2013 - JX35
2011 - loaded suburb outback aka garbage

i would definately be interested in hearing if it is an actual fix or just the same tranny with hopes you don't have the problem.

i called my dealership yesterday after I read your post, they said they have heard nothing in regards to a fix.

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

alloveru wrote:i would definately be interested in hearing if it is an actual fix or just the same tranny with hopes you don't have the problem.

Well from what I am being told now, that's exactly what it is. The same tranny with the hopes you don't have a problem.

Of all the people that have had their tranny's replaced, is there anyone that has had the same problem with the 2nd tranny?

kerrton

KCFM, did you decide to have your tranny replaced or wait?

If you did get it replaced, I really wouldn't worry about the noise returning. Nissan approved this as a viable solution to your problem, and if the problem returns later, they'll still be responsible to fix it properly as long as you're still within your warranty period, of which you have years left and tens of thousands of kilometers. So don't worry!

kcfm
Car: former rogue owner

kerrton wrote:KCFM, did you decide to have your tranny replaced or wait?

If you did get it replaced, I really wouldn't worry about the noise returning. Nissan approved this as a viable solution to your problem, and if the problem returns later, they'll still be responsible to fix it properly as long as you're still within your warranty period, of which you have years left and tens of thousands of kilometers. So don't worry!
I decided to have it replaced. I spoke with the service manager last night and he is supposed to order it today. He said it might take a few weeks though.

After making a few calls to dealers parts departments, I now found out that there are actually 3 different part numbers for the Rogue FWD tranny. I asked why there are 3 different part numbers. I was told that they could just be from different vendors. But, to my knowledge, JATCO makes all the tranny's so it cant be that reason. So maybe there have been revisions to the tranny which would result in 3 different part numbers..?? Who knows...everytime you find something out it totally contradicts what you were previously told!

Kerrton, I did give him that part number, again, that you gave me. I requested that he order that one, for obvious reasons I didn't want the same one ordered that I have now. So who knows what I'll end up with..?? I just hope that it doesn't have the damn rattle!

kerrton

Wow that is so interesting, we keep learning new little pieces of information, although it's frustrating because like you said, it's not consistent and any individual you talk to never seems to know the whole story, or is holding back something. The 3 different part numbers, according to my buddy who is the parts manager, indicates 3 revisions to the design of this part. To me this makes more sense than the explanation that there is a different part number for different distributors, because with other Nissan parts the number is always the same regardless of the source, they don't create their own part numbers (perhaps some with more experience could confirm this, for example OEM headlights etc...)

But the bottom line is you're making the right decision, because you'll be getting the current CVT model for the Rogue which is being mass produced as we speak and this wouldn't be the case if Nissan knew it had a defect. Mine has almost 1000km on it and it is running absolutely great - and I'm sure that you'll have the same result.

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Since my vote I have had the transmission replaced to fix the rattling noise. And, yes it fixed it!

kerrton

Update:

After having my rattling 2008 Rogue tranny replaced 2000 km ago, I couldn't be happier. The tranny performs flawlessly, is smooth as can be, I get great gas mileage and lots of power, and best of all no noise - it is completely silent. My conclusion after all of this is that the CVT should be silent, if anyone tries to tell you otherwise they are either misinformed or lying to you. My original tranny started getting noisy quite soon after I bought it and it quickly got prgressively worse, and I think the performace was going downhill too. My dealer replaced with no questions asked, stated that this was the only course of action given that the noise was a sign of internal failure - just one of those unlucky bad parts which affect all vehicle manufacturers, not a bad design. So the new CVT is great and I would encourage anyone with CVT noise to insist that the problem be addressed by your service department, because it is an indicator of internal failure, and this is an expensive fix that you don't want to incur after warranty expires. The good news is the defective ones always seem to show up early, so if you don't hear a noise I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about a decade or more into the future.

desiguy

Has anyone had there transmission replaced in the dead winter. In Manitoba, the winters are quite cold ( up to -46 w/ windchill). The reason that I ask is the dealership is calling me to install the new tranny and am hesitant because of the cold weather

Would the cold weather effect the tranny break in period?

This is not meant to hijack this thread

kerrton

Hey desiguy, it looks like nobody has a real answer for you, but the way I see it you don't really have a choice since the dealer won't store that expensive tranny for you indefinately and it could be months before it warms up. Anyway, I don't think there is anything to worry about, people buy brand new vehicles in the winter time and there is no special instructions for break-in. Just take it easy every time when you first start out until things get warmed up, then you can gun it after!! If you baby it for the first thousand km's I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll be rid of your old rattling tranny so go for it!

desiguy

Part of the reason that I am concerned is that I park outside right now so the car is pretty frozen when I start it in the morning.

I will be parking in a garage but that wont be until next month.

hmmmm

Jerry98vert
Car: 08 Rogue 98 Cobra

What I don't understand is when I first started to read about this issue it was only for the AWD models, but reading this post the FWD has the same problem?

I now have like 1,100 miles and hear nothing unless I don't know what to listen for.

kerrton

We on this forum just guessed that it was related to AWD, we aren't experts of course. It turns out that it's just a very low number of tranny's that are affected, just like any othe rmanufacturer sometimes you get a bad part and it needs to be replaced on warranty. Personally I don't think the tranny replacement has anything to do with the fact that it's CVT, as conventional tranny's need replacement as well from all other manufacturers, it's just a fact of life that there are defective parts from time to time, nothing unique about this situtation except the trouble some are having gettting Nissan to approve the fix. If you don't hear the noise, nothing to worry about.

sckeith
Car: 2017 Versa Note SL, Red

In Winnipeg. I've had our Rogue since Jan 2008, starting complaining of noise in Feb or Mar (when I had the fan turned down or window open). Got a call from the dealer in late Oct that it would be replaced. Had the tranny replaced yesterday Jan 7 . I park outside but let it warm up a bit before driving. I heard the noise the day before having the tranny replaced and so far the new one is quite. I asked the dealer if I need to do anything since it is a new tranny and they said no just drive. Couild someone post the part number of the quiet tranny, I'd like to see if I got the same one (I don't have the paper here so I can't post which one I got)

Thanks

philipa_240sx

Re Part No's.

There is more than one part number as Nissan has 4 variations of the CVT used on the Rogue:

2WD - Federal Emissions2WD - California EmissionsAWD - Federal EmissionsAWD - California Emissions

The part number posted by a particular member may not the same for your vehicle.

Return to “Rogue Forum”