hatin on dealer parts, any redneck icm options?

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
dreadsiren
Car: nissan 720 1982-1985

what a shock that the cheapest I could find online even was over 150.00 (almost 500 from napa) for an "ignition control module" (much to my "nothin over 30.00" pocketbooks dismay) which brings me to wonder, there has to be some one who had to adapt something strange to replace the over priced piece of metal and plastic that fits in someones hand... maybe a way to use a 3 prong one instead (bypassing the condenser somehow...) or a different setup (ford, chevy or gmc unit routed through the dizzy to the coils? i dunno... figured i'd see if anyone has been down this road and didnt have acess to a pick and pull or more than about 30 dollals to work with... sadly its my only truck so I'm on foot till I rigg something up. will try to keep all posted if I figure out a way arround this, just incase some poor sap ends up in my position...

*edit: I have replaced the icm with one from an older 720 (1982) the 3 wire kind... sucked to get the old one off (the reluctor is a bword and almost as bad to get the new one on (had to replace the heatsink with the older dizzy one as they are not the same size) I'm gonna try and bypass the condenser on the 1984 wiring harness I put in. will post back within the day to let all know if it worked... still want the real one though :(

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Have you checked ebay?

dreadsiren
Car: nissan 720 1982-1985

yup... they have new ones but I cant afford the price till I get the truck runnin (no truck no job no money) was hopeing I would find a creative solution to the delima but nothin... :frown: was also hopeing some one might have one for trade for other nissan parts but so far no good either. go figure though, I have 3 nissans (2 for parts) 82-84 and only one dissy for a z24... with faulty module :cry:

Return to “Datsun Chat”