Has this been done?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Dystopia

ka24de into a b13 or b14?

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

First question, why would you want a Ka24DE in a B13 or B14? The SR20DE is a far better motor IMO and a lot more potential.

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

OneFastStanza wrote:First question, why would you want a Ka24DE in a B13 or B14? The SR20DE is a far better motor IMO and a lot more potential.
Corey,What was all that oil burning stuff you were talking about up at tom sawyer the other day? Is that a new sentra problem?

Dystopia

OneFastStanza wrote:First question, why would you want a Ka24DE in a B13 or B14? The SR20DE is a far better motor IMO and a lot more potential.
no replacement for displacement, the torque is much better on the KA24

Nismo241

The thing is, it really wouldn't work, you'd have to replace the whole rear end, being that the B13 and 14 are FWD and don't have independant rear suspension, you'd have to get all new suspension for the rear so you could fit the differential, and axels. Then you have to consider that the SR20DE is transverse mounted in the Sentra's, meaning no room for a RWD motor.

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

KA24DEs were also in the Altimas in a FWD configuration so I highly doubt he is talking about the one out of a 240. As for the there is no replacement for dispacement, the SR20 is a far more stable engine at high hp levels than the KA. Not to mention far more aftermarket. You can easily work a SR20DET to 400+whp wheras you would have to get pretty innovative to do it in a KA24DE. IMO 150hp at the crank isn't worth it for the money invested into swapping the engine.

The oil burning issue is only relavent to the new QR25DE motor so basically the new SE-Rs and 2.5 Altimas. Apaarently the new engines will burn a lot of oil during break in but this seems to only have happened in the cars made before January of 2002 and only a small number of them it happened to. I got lucky mine does not consume lots of oil but I know quite a few who have ones that do and they got new motors out of it. Apparently it was supposedly from the rings not seating right but I am not 100% sure.

AVERAGE
Car: my car

love the avatar dystopia!:wideeye:

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

OneFastStanza wrote:The oil burning issue is only relavent to the new QR25DE motor so basically the new SE-Rs and 2.5 Altimas. Apaarently the new engines will burn a lot of oil during break in but this seems to only have happened in the cars made before January of 2002 and only a small number of them it happened to. I got lucky mine does not consume lots of oil but I know quite a few who have ones that do and they got new motors out of it. Apparently it was supposedly from the rings not seating right but I am not 100% sure.
That's exactly correct. Apparently the rings differ from the ones used in japan. The rings put in the U.S. cars are stiffer, therefore causing more seat time. My Spec burned a 1 qt of oil on one oil change. Haven't noticed any problems since. This all occurred between 14K-17K range.

NISMOingen
Car: This isn't a hobby. It's an obsession.

If anyone is truly interested in getting real streetable power out of a KA24DE, call Mark @ http://www.import-autoperformance.com/

He's spent the last few years developing turbo equipment for the KA24DE.

I've often wondered about a RWD B14. There should not be much if any modification needed to the firewall. And an S13 rear-end should be about the right track width for a B14. I tell ya, it'd be one slick ride.

NISMOingen

I've spent the last 2 weeks checking into it. Working with my mechanic, it looks like going RWD on a B14 is not all that difficult if you use a Tri-link rear-end setup. Using a Ford 9in rear-end and not including engine, parts would cost about $2.5k to $3k and labor about $3k unless you don't do it yourself.

To go with independent rear your looking at another $5-7k in labor or lots and lots of your own time. rear independent suspensions have to be much more exacting (relative travel angles) or they bind. To go with an independent rear you will probably to a lot of remeasuring and reattaching after test runs.

But yes, it can be done on an enthusiasts budget.

dixjo
Car: drums, computers, cars

Quote »I've spent the last 2 weeks checking into it. Working with my mechanic, it looks like going RWD on a B14 is not all that difficult if you use a Tri-link rear-end setup. Using a Ford 9in rear-end and not including engine, parts would cost about $2.5k to $3k and labor about $3k unless you don't do it yourself.[/quote]

So how different would it be to set up the b14 as AWD? The sr20's normally have an AWD tranny anyway, so, would it be the same, but just using the AWD tranny, or what?

NISMOingen

It doesn't appear to be as simple as it sounds. First of all the mounting points for the rear drive suspension simply aren't present on the US B14. Additionally, I've received mixed information about the dimensions of the AWD tranny as well as the relative orientation of the output shaft points.

In other words, it appears to get so complicated (read expensive) that it would actually be cheaper to import an actual JDM car.

Although the AWD option may be feasible, it doesn't appear any cheaper than a RWD conversion.

NISMOingen

Yeah. I found the data I needed and worked up some basic layouts in AutoCAD. It would be way more expensive to make a B14 AWD than it would to just import a Pulsar.

tonynalli

Quote »KA24DEs were also in the Altimas in a FWD configuration so I highly doubt he is talking about the one out of a 240. As for the there is no replacement for dispacement, the SR20 is a far more stable engine at high hp levels than the KA. Not to mention far more aftermarket. You can easily work a SR20DET to 400+whp wheras you would have to get pretty innovative to do it in a KA24DE. IMO 150hp at the crank isn't worth it for the money invested into swapping the engine.[/quote]

are you kidding. take off the turbo from a sr20 and see what it does. probably like 130 or something. put that same turbo on a ka and see what it does. think about it. do people who race cars put a small engine in it? hell no. they mod the hell out of the one that is already exisiting in it or get a BIGGER one. all you would have to do it upgrade the internals in a ka and you would have a screaming engine, that would smoke an sr20

NeedMore$4SE-R
Car: Hip Hop, Fine Females, Cars

Swapping the KA into a B14 would be very expensive due to the custom motor mounts and wiring required. That will be one wiring nightmare. The only reason I would see would be if the KA has a stronger tranny. Then again is that worth the ~$2000+/- you'd spend to get just the engine/tranny installed?

TheSil80

Dystopia wrote:no replacement for displacement, the torque is much better on the KA24

true.. all my friends that have srdet's in their car lack torque..... and they miss driving with the KA becuase after all, it was a truck engine.

Anyways, you can't put a RWD engine in a FWD.... there isn't a FWD tranny designed for the KA and it won't work. The reason why an SR20DET block will fit into the B13-15 chassis is becuase there are several variences of the block... from the S13 redtop to the S15 to the SR from the Pulsar GTI-R (which was AWD) and the bluebird from the b13-14 SE-R.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”