Has anyone tried making a Ram Air?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Scott McLellan

When I got my 95 240sx SE the front air dam was chipped up really bad and so I took it off to get it repainted. I noticed there are two vents on each side of the air dam and the only thing that I'd have to do is cut a hole in the plastic cover thing that is under the engine on the driver side and hook up something to the vent thing and connect it to the intake to have a ram air, right? Has anyone tried this? Would it be worth much power? Also, where do cold air intakes end up on these cars? Is it in that area? Just curious. Hey, every little bit helps right?

I am Technoman
Car: ???

Just make sure you get the coldest air possible into the intake without sucking up water.

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

I like mine thats why its still in there :) I know it makes more power but hell if one could find it on a dyno due to the way it operates.

I have that sucking in cold air (forced at speed.... I tested 0 psi to .25 psi at 80 with it not 100% sealed at the time) then the intake tube heat wrapped and then the throttle body coolant line removed..

BTW ram air setups are usually sealed. If not it isnt a true RAM air and just some elaborate ducting work :)

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

I had a ram-air on my truck for a while. Unfortunately it was in the middle of summer and I was cleaning my filter every week from all the road dust out here(the ram air opening was below my bumper, which is like 10" off the ground when I drive). it worked though, ran like a mother on the high way.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I cut the lens of my Silvia's corner light and then the back so it bacame a scoop, worked very well and people never saw it was there.

S-14boy
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE

I made something similar to 96_s14_se's ram air, I used the duckting that sticks out of the side of your house for the dryer but mine doesnt wrap around the filter and I am currently building a heat sheild. I did notice the filter sounds a lil louder i guess cause it ecos through the duct work.

Scott McLellan

Thanks for the info.

96_S14_SE
Car: 96 S14 SE - 05 VW GTI 1.8t - 89 S13 coupe "gold on brown"

Mines actually quiter :)

The ducting I used is actually the bendable dryer venting tubing. But its the sheetmetal one (not the flexable stuff) that has sections that can be rotated to get the desired angle. Then I wrapped it in aluminum tape to seal it off. WOrks good and wont deteriorate like the flexable stuff.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”