Has anyone tried an iPod or MP3 player with the stereo yet?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Beagle_Hauler
Car: 1996 Suzuki X-90 & 1944 Ford GPW

Well I've been rather electronicaly challenged for several years (err..Decades..). I know what iPods are and MP3 players and all that (last thing I ever got like that was a walkman..the cassete style walkman...Yikes...) but would I like to know is if anyone has hooked theirs up yet? I presume the aux jack on the front of the stereo is for this purpose? If you've hooked up your music players, how well do they work? Any recomendations on brands in general? I'm not big on music but I think my wife want's to get a iPod and Santa will bring one this year, assuming it hooks to our Bose stereo and works properly. I'm guessing we have to have recording music in a certain format (MP3 or ??)Thanks in advance! ~Mark

jaywhiz21
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue Gotham Gray SL AWD

After getting the Rogue, I ran out and bought an MP3 player, a SanDisk Sansa View. I have the 16GB model, and I have burned my entire music collection on it -- hundreds and hundreds of CDs! It sounds awesome through the Rogue's Bose stereo system. Yes, you get a simple cord from Radio Shack that hooks up from the earphone jack of the player to the AUX input on the stereo.

What you do is rip your CDs onto your computer using either Windows Media Player, iTunes (for iPod and other compatible players) or other 3rd party software. Then you sync (burn) your music down to your MP3 player.

There are many opinions out there on which MP3 players are the best, so I'll leave that to the others. As for me, I never thought I'd own an MP3 player before, but once I got the Rogue and now have ALL my music on one device, I am absolutely hooked.

-Jimmy

rogueish
Car: 2008 Rogue SL

I did the same thing. Used my Sansa to hook up to the radio. Sounds great! A lot better than packing around all kinds of cds.

Dakota4791
Car: Nissan Rogue

Yep, I hooked up my iPod - love it! Though I also have a dash unit of Sirius and the 3months of XM ... plenty of music that all sounds great on that Bose stereo!

lozen13

Ipod to Bose system and also love it

mwhatiam
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I'd just love more bass in the Bose! :D

EZ300
Car: '08 Rogue S AWD

i have the base model and hooked up a couple of mp3 players.worked really well, but i think it doesn't sound as well as the Bose system. i feel it lacks Treble, but love the Bass, but i don't mind. that's easily fixed with an aftermarket upgrade in a couple of years.

RogueDream79

I plugged my IPOD into my new rogue before I drove it off the lot. Beautiful sound quality. Be careful not to blow your tweets when you are playing your ipod on the bose radio.... I'm not sure if I blew one of mine or not. Somtimes when I listen really closely I think I can hear a little static coming from one of my speakers. IPODs push a lot of sound out and give the already awesome stereo a huge boost.... I find I like the ipod hooked up better when I turn off the auto volume increaser on the bose radio.

poconosmama

i hook up my iphone everyday and love it. never had a problem with sound quality

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

I don't have an MP3, but went out and bought a new cell phone that has Blue Tooth capability. It's an LG8350 and also has music playing ability so I bought some additional memory for it and a cable connection at Radio Shack and plugged it into my Aux. It works pretty well but sometimes it quits on me. I think it is more a phone problem than a problem with the Rogue.

henrysmom

I use my ipod in the rogue, but have noticed that I really need to turn the volume up. If I accidentally unplug the ipod before I turn down the volume it blasts me out! Any suggestions? I am truly electronically challanged, so I am sure it is something simple. Also, is there a way to charge the ipod in the car ? Do I need a seperate cord?Soon I will attempt the blue-tooth stuff Scary!!!!

Lakerfan1975
Car: Nissan Rogue

Make sure that the volume on the ipod unit itself is turned up all the way or the music tends to sound like crap(atleast it does on mine). With the sound turned all the way up on the ipod I don't need to turn my stereo volume anywhere close to where I have to turn it for radio or XM as the ipod actually amplifies the sound a little bit and it sounds a whole heck of a lot better than stereo or XM. Yes, you can purchase car chargers for ipods and it is an add on piece that you'll need to buy seperately.

thekingbozo

A simple small pre-amp may be used if you can find them for sale. You can probably get some headphone pre-amp on ebay.

However, that means an extra battery will be required, or alternatively, just jack up the volume on your player to a limit where distortion does not bother you.

takeshi

Better yet, find an adapter that uses the dock connector instead of the headphone jack. You'll get better quality audio.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

I carry a Sony Ericsson W580i Walkman phone, which I've used in the Rogue's aux jack before. Works fine.

You can also burn data MP3 CD's that hold a lot more music on them than the standard CD format and play those directly in your player, but you'll have to import your music in the MP3 file format. The Rogue CD player will not recognize Apple's AAC format.

That way you get artist/song info on the Rogue's radio display.

philipa_240sx

MP3 CD's will only play on the BOSE systems. In Canada there is an available mid-level audio system (SL Premium package) that will also play MP3 CD's.

If you happen to burn your own plain audio CD's, make sure you add CD-Text information. Even the base systems will show Artist & song name if the CD-Text info is available. Hint: Press the DISP button to toggle between track#, artist, and song title.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I use mine with an Ipod sometimes and it works great, but mostly I use it with my Sirius Satelitte radio. I love the aux input because now I don't have to use those stupid fm transmitters which are a pain in the butt and give marginal sound quality at best.

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I use a 120G Classic and its works fine. I recommend the Sansa for the novice as iPod is often a pain in the a$$ with iTunes. I have a Sansa Clip that I got for $20 and it holds 1 or 2G of music. I love that thing. My Classic has my whole music library in it totally 7500 songs. Close to 40gig of music and counting. Anyhow, you'll find that the AUX works great and you will get hooked fast.

kingjman
Car: Rogue AWD SL

henrysmom wrote:If I accidentally unplug the ipod before I turn down the volume it blasts me out! Any suggestions?
that will happen with any stereo...the same thing would happen on your home stereo if you unplug a selected input with the audio cranked...touch the tip of a hot input and you'll get hum thru the speakers..unplug your PC speakers and you'll also get the same thing...in most pro audio there are set limiters to protect against damage, but not in your car....gotta turn it off, or down.

someone else said keep the volume on your ipod up, this is true to keep a good signal to noise ratio....not quite full blast, but close....it's a good idea to match it to the volume of your other sources, and then remember the mp3 player volume setting.

My stock 6-cd bose(clarion) is maxed out!....I keep 6 mp3 CDs loaded(in case I leave my ipod behind, = to about 60 CDs of music)...lifetime XM w/best of sirius sub, and a 160gb ipod classic (with approx 1500 CDs loaded at any time)Plan on upgrading the sub soon....the current wiring harness to the stock sub supports 10amps and the audio line is already active low pass..no need to run new wires...plan on wiring in a Molex connector so it's easily removed when I need room..I think a 100w amp and single 10" in a nice custom ported box should fit and work well
Modified by kingjman at 8:08 AM 8/24/2009

Return to “Rogue Forum”