has anyone ever pulled their fenders to accomodate wider rims?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
fjirousek
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45, 1991 Plymouth Laser RS

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing some new rims for my Q. I am probably going with 19 x 8.5 in the front and 19 x 10 in the rear. I will be putting a 2" drop on the vehicle and I have concerns about both rubbing and I certainly don't want the rims/tires to stick out from the body. I am willing to modify the fenders if neccessary to make things work. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on how to best do this. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, any ideas about camber adjustment?

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

The best way is for a body shop to do it with a fender roller. Call around to see what local shops to you have them, someone will. If you try yourself, you'll probably crack the paint, so it's best to leave to the pro's, besides, it shouldn't cost more than like a buck fifty. Good luck on your VIP ride!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

fjirousek wrote:I am in the process of purchasing some new rims for my Q. I am probably going with 19 x 8.5 in the front and 19 x 10 in the rear
What offset wheels did you have in mind? Too high will not work (will hit suspension components!)

Quote »I will be putting a 2" drop on the vehicle and I have concerns about both rubbing and I certainly don't want the rims/tires to stick out from the body. I am willing to modify the fenders if neccessary to make things work.[/quote]With those wide wheels, and tires to match, and a 2" drop, you have to roll the fenders to make it work, IMHO, let alone look good without sticking out from under the car!

I'd say get a professional shop to do it rather than attempting it yourself.

Quote »Also, any ideas about camber adjustment?[/quote]Hmmm, I am not an expert on this, so I would recommend searching for posts by Q45tech ... I am sure he has commented on this in the past!

Z

PoorManQ45

Just wondering: Whta made you decide to go with different sized wheels? WIll the overall tire diameter be the same?

Can you post a picture or two of the wheels you're using?

fjirousek

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and advice. I am really looking forward to getting the new rims on the car. They have a 35mm offset front and rear. I decided to go with a staggered fitment both for aesthetics and in case I decided to supercharge the Q in the future Below are some pics. Let me know what you guys think.

fjirousek

angle view

fjirousek

lip....

PoorManQ45

SEXY !

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

LIke I said eariler, theyre going to be perfect in the front, and theyre going to stick way out in the rear... if possible Id try and se if you could get hte 8.5s for the rea.r

szh

fjirousek wrote:Thanks for your comments and advice. I am really looking forward to getting the new rims on the car. They have a 35mm offset front and rear. I decided to go with a staggered fitment both for aesthetics and in case I decided to supercharge the Q in the future Below are some pics. Let me know what you guys think.
The wheels look very, very nice indeed! I am a big fan of what I call the BBS look ... multi-spoke wheels like this look awesome, imho.

However, I think the rear 10" width 35mm offset will not fit - it will touch the suspension stuff! As Wes said, you should consider using 8.5" width in the rear too ... then the 35mm offset will work in the rear.

The front is borderline ... at a 8.5" width, the 35mm would probably work, but if you drop the car 2" as well, then it might have problems too.

I suggest that you should look for 30mm offset, particularly since you are planning to roll the fender anyway! This lower offset would make the wheel stick out a tiny bit further and prevent contact, and the rolled fender would be needed to make it look good and not hit upon lowering.

Please definitely talk to an expert to confirm or correct me ... SR_smith (in the Wheels and Tire forum) has a lot more knowledge and expertise about this than me and can offer the right advice.

So, I would strongly suggest contacting him (please post there or e-mail him directly), or finding a local wheel and tire place who can do a test fitment before you spend the money on the wheels and tires!

Regards, and good luck,

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

szhosain wrote:The wheels look very, very nice indeed! I am a big fan of what I call the BBS look ... multi-spoke wheels like this look awesome, imho.

1. However, I think the rear 10" width 35mm offset will not fit - it will touch the suspension stuff!

2. The front is borderline ... at a 8.5" width, the 35mm would probably work, but if you drop the car 2" as well, then it might have problems too.

3. I suggest that you should look for 30mm offset, particularly since you are planning to roll the fender anyway. The lower offset would make the wheel stick out a bit further, and the rolled fender would be needed to make it look good and not hit upon lowering.

Please definitely talk to an expert to confirm or correct me ... SR_smith (in the Wheels and Tire forum) has a lot more knowledge and expertise about this than me and can offer the right advice.

So, I would strongly suggest contacting him (please post there or e-mail him directly), or finding a local wheel and tire place who can do a test fitment before you spend the money on the wheels and tires!

Regards, and good luck,

Z
1. Your correct, except basically its going to extend 20mm in both directions... It will probably not clear suspension and will stick way out..

2. I had 8.5 with 37mm offset and it was perfect... Just so you know, the drop has nothing to do with it because the hub always stays in the same position relative to the 3rd link. so no matter how high the car sits (or low) the wheel is always going to be in the same position (in a straight line) relative to the 3rd link

3. 30mm offset in an 8.0 would look good.....

Falkdesigns

IMO, the people with experience in this stuff are mostly on the VIP site. You'll find people there that have actually done this and can give real world recomendations if you want to go the extreme route. Otherwise, I know you can go with 8.5 f's and 9.5 r's and not rub suspension or need to roll / pull fenders.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Curious which tires you are planning to put on these rims.

fjirousek

maxnix wrote:Curious which tires you are planning to put on these rims.
I'm not quite sure yet. I am looking at 2xx/40/19, but as far as type of tire, i'm not sure yet. I run kumho's on my DSM, but I would want to go with an all season performance tire most likely.

szh

elwesso wrote:2. I had 8.5 with 37mm offset and it was perfect... Just so you know, the drop has nothing to do with it because the hub always stays in the same position relative to the 3rd link. so no matter how high the car sits (or low) the wheel is always going to be in the same position (in a straight line) relative to the 3rd link
Good points. However, my concern has to do with the fact that if somebody uses a larger wheel diameter than the ones you had - I believe - (like the 19" wheels being discussed here), they no longer have curvature in the tire profile "helping" out in tight situations!

With a 19x10 or 19x8.5" wheel, you have to use a shallow sidewall tire (like a 265/35 or 255/40 or something like that) to get the right overall tire diameter, and this means that the sidewalls are more "straight" - more up and down. Thus, less room inside the wheel well!

So, with 2" lowering - even with just 8.5" wheels, the net result might be rub ... somewhere in the wheel well. I would not be surprised if 35mm was insufficient to prevent that with 19 x 8.5 wheels and if you hit a bump!

I am not saying it cannot be done, just a concern that would worry me!

While I am personally not a fan of wide wheels and tires, I can understand that some folks want this look! So, I think the best alternative is to get 30mm offset and roll the fender. Then, things are likely to work and look reasonably good too!

Z

Falkdesigns

Quote »So, I think the best alternative is to get 30mm offset and roll the fender. Then, things are likely to work and look reasonably good too!

Z[/quote]Good advice. As I said, I know it can be done. The white Y33 Q45 in my "nice Y33's w/ TEIN's" thread has 19x8.5 & 19x9.5, low 30's offset, didn't have to roll fenders and has no rub. However, he did go with smaller rubber so his tires are a little "stretched". IIRC he's running 235f, 245r like myself, but he's on .5" wider wheels F&R.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”