Has anyone driven the 08 Rogue and the 08 Altima?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jlsatt00

My husband's Pathfinder was getting the transmission flushed today and they gave him a rental Altima with the 2.5L engine. I actually really liked how it drove and I was surprized by the power, but I want a crossover. Has anyone driven both vehicles?

I am anxiously awaiting the Rogue to arrive here in KY. From talking to a dealer today they are suppose to get one next week and then more toward the end of October. My salesman said he would call as soon as they get one in, but I doubt it will stay on the lot long! So, it might be awhile before I get to drive one. I am trying to decide if the Rogue is worth waiting for. If the engine and steering are anything like the Altima, I want to wait!

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I owned a 2007 Altima 2.5S from November 2006 to this month, and just sold it to a cousin; at the same time I traded in my 350Z for a Rogue SL, so I'd say I fit the description of someone you're looking for advice from...

The Altima 2.5S sedan's ride is slightly smoother and softer, but also a bit more floaty/wallowy. The amount of body roll is similar between the two cars. There is less dive and squat under braking and acceleration in the Rogue compared to the Altima. Wind noise and road noise on the highway in the Rogue is barely higher than the Altima. Acceleration in the Altima is better due to there being somewhere around 200 to 300 pounds less weight to move around. The throttle and particularly the brake pedals are WAY more sensitive in the Altima than in the Rogue--it's easier to drive smoother in the Rogue because of this difference in calibration. Steering feel is close, and the steering ratio feels a bit quicker in the Altima than in the Rogue. The weight of the steering calibration in the Rogue is heavier/sportier than the Altima 2.5S.

All in all, the Rogue is sportier and less sloppy while the Altima is smoother and more comfortable. The interior of the Rogue is best described as sporty/intimate, while the Altima has more space and the seats are wider, less deeply bucketed. There's more rear seat hip/shoulder room in the Altima, but you sit a good deal lower and less upright compared to Rogue. Believe it or not, I believe the Altima's trunk will fit more cargo than the cargo area of the Rogue, if you do not count seats folded and you are not willing to block any of your rear view with stacked cargo (as I am, as I consider this a safety hazard from lack of visibility)--the trunk of the Altima is just that big!

Do note that I have not driven an Altima 3.5SE, so I do not know how that car's ride/handling compares to Rogue, but the Rogue is definitely sportier in both departments than the Altima 2.5S sedan.

As a person who prefers sport over comfort, I actually prefer the Rogue's feel over the Altima's.

-Ed

NeverOutofTune
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008 SL AWD

My wife just bought the '08 2.5 Altima S Dark Slate with the SL and Connection packages and I bought the '08 Rogue SL AWD Wicked Black with the Premium, Leather, and Moonroof packages (at the same time, aren't we cute ).

They have the same engine and very similar equipment. The Altima has a much better sound system, a few more luxury items and, of course, rides better. We love them both.

I came from a '02 Passat, which I also loved, and my wife had a '03 Saturn L200. The Altima is a step up from the L200 and for about the same price.

I had one rattle in the Rogue cargo area inside a panel that the dealer took care of with some insulation. No other problems.

The vehicles handle very differently but easy to get adjusted to. I have read a lot about the dislikes of the Rogue such as blind spots mostly due to the small rear window but I am used to driving vans and box trucks and just use the side mirrors all the time so the small window does not bother me.

I am pleased with the gas mileage in the Rogue ~26 with a mix of 50/50 city/highway and its not broke in yet. Best feature for the Rogue for me is the seating. I have the drivers seat almost has high as it will go. This position allows me to have comfortable leg room and not be too far away form the steering wheel and controls. I don't have to lean to reach anything. I am 5'9" average build.

As Eddnog stated, the Rogue is sportier, i.e. more fun, and the Altima is smoother. So, for us, the Rogue is the Saturday afternoon play vehicle and the Altima is the Saturday night date vehicle.

Return to “Rogue Forum”