Has anyone done an engine swap on a 1970 Datsun Roadster?

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
FSP
Car: 1970 Datsun Roadster SPL311

I have a 240SX that I can use as the doner car. I need to know if anyone has the specifics as to what I need to modify on my SPL311 to install the engine from my 240SX

akwikz
Car: 1973 Skyline

I did an SR20det swap into my '67.5 back in 2001.

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/nov02fairlady.htm

The first thing you quickly realize is just how tight that engine bay is. With the SR, I had to notch the crossmember to clear the oil pan. This is the only real body modification I had to make. You might be able to avoid this with the KA swap. Yours will still have the front sump pan, but you can get a rear sump pan from a D21 Hardbody 4x4 with the KA ('90 to '96 I think). The 4x4 is the best bet as the oil pan has clearance for the front diff.

You will need to make an offset mount for the transmission. The Roadster tranny is nearly 4 inches shorter. If you don't offset the mount, the motor will sit too far off the firewall.

I used a stand alone, but it's not required. The factory harness and computer will work fine if you have a complete car to work with. I also found that the driveshaft from a 280ZX fit perfectly without the need for a custom one.

I used an aftermarket radiator from a Honda Del Sol and had no problems.

Good luck with your swap.

Brian

FSP
Car: 1970 Datsun Roadster SPL311

Thanks Brian, much appreciated.

Froebel

Return to “Datsun Roadster”