Has anybody used 0w30 Mobil One Syn. oil??

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have heard it has a green tint to it. Does anyone know this to be fact??I am thinking about trying it in my 08 Rogue for gas savings but I do not want that tint(if there is)visible at the next oil change to the dealer. Might run across warrenty issues if something goes wrong in the engine and Nissan might blame it on the wrong oil.

blueis300
Car: 2007 nissan maxima 3.5 se

Ive heard good things abour mobil and amsoil 0w-30. Im gonna try it when I need to change oil.

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

wbloomfield wrote:I have heard it has a green tint to it. Does anyone know this to be fact??I am thinking about trying it in my 08 Rogue for gas savings but I do not want that tint(if there is)visible at the next oil change to the dealer. Might run across warrenty issues if something goes wrong in the engine and Nissan might blame it on the wrong oil.
Mobil1 is an approved sysnthetic, so it won't void your warranty if changedat the 7500mi interval. The only reason to use the 0w30 over the 5w30would be cold weather starting, after the motor is warm, they both are30wt.....so, how much gas savings are you going to get just with theinitial start-up??...not much, if any??

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

It really depends of your commute: If you do a lot of short trips, you will probably a gain of about 1 to 2 mpg (which could pay for the price difference at the end, and you got the extra protection for free ).If you have a long commute, the gain of fuel mileage during the start up phase will be diluted in the long mileage, not sure you will see the difference.

BTW, only the bottle is green (in fact the cap), the oil looks normal. The oil with a green tint in it is the German Castrol 0W30.Mobil1 and Castrol are API certified, Amsoil is not.

mistergib

[QUOTE=Pescakl1]It really depends of your commute: If you do a lot of short trips, you will probably a gain of about 1 to 2 mpg (which could pay for the price difference at the end, and you got the extra protection for free ).If you have a long commute, the gain of fuel mileage during the start up phase will be diluted in the long mileage, not sure you will see the difference./QUOTE]

....again, IF you only do one short trip, then let the motor cool before yournext short trip, then your statement is MAYBE correct.....but, once thatmotor is warmed up, (from the first short or long trip), the oil is at 30wtfrom then on, (if not given ample time to cool back down between trips).....Istill say that unless you're just wanting the cold weather initial start-upprotection, (when cold, 0wt would circulate and protect faster than 5wtwould), that you would not recognize any appreciable gas savings.....I would run 0w30wt if I lived in a very normally cold climate.

Pescakl1

mistergib wrote:....again, IF you only do one short trip, then let the motor cool before yournext short trip, then your statement is MAYBE correct.....but, once thatmotor is warmed up, (from the first short or long trip), the oil is at 30wtfrom then on, (if not given ample time to cool back down between trips).
I totally agree with you, I should have precised it more.

For example, if you compare my commute (55 kms one way) to my wife's (15-20 minutes drive to work), you MAY see a increased fuel economy for my wife's commute but probably not on mine.After 15 minutes, in winter, the oil didn't reach its operational temperature and after 2 hours seating in the cold, you have to restart the process again.Of course, if you take your car less than an hour later let say, it will warn more quickly as it is not gone back cold, and the gain of the better pumpability of the 0W oil will fade.

BTW, at operational temperature, most of 0W30 oils are heavier than the 5W30s, so theoretically, more you have a long commute, better is the fuel mileage with the 5W30 oil compare to the 0W30.

mistergib

you wrote..."BTW, at operational temperature, most of 0W30 oils are heavier than the 5W30s, so theoretically, more you have a long commute, better is the fuel mileage with the 5W30 oil compare to the 0W30."

Now thats a new one on me.....who told you that? ...I've been messingwith cars for over 40 years...since muscle car days...my dad worked forMobil Oil.....the beginning number is the weight of the oil cold, the endingnumber representing the oils weight when at normal operating temp. So,you are saying that when hot, that it should actuall be 0w35 or higher??Why do they call it 0w30 then, and if the rating is not accurate, howdoes someone buy the proper weight? Doesn't make sense to me.....

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Now I get confused, which oil is heavy in weight 0w30 or 5w30 ?

mistergib

tikus wrote:Now I get confused, which oil is heavy in weight 0w30 or 5w30 ?
...he is saying that the 0w30 is actually heavier viscosity than the5w30.......which, with all do respect, I'm unable to agree with. 0 weightoil has always been the preference for cold weather starting because ofits lighter viscosity which allows it to lubricate various parts of the motorquicker than heavier viscosity oils.To answer your question.....5w30 is the heavier oil when its cold....theyare both 30wts when warm......imho

Pescakl1

Sorry to confuse some, I play with the words here, but it is still true.

An 30 weight oil can range from about 9.7 to 12.2 cSt @100C.If you look at the specs of the oils, you will see that to get an 0W30 oil, manufacturers/blenders achieve that only with an oil being in the upper part of the scale (GC is 12.1, Esso XD-3 is 12.1, M1 is 11.0) with an higher figure for the 40C viscosity (GC is 66.8, Esso XD-3 is 71.0, M1 is 63.1) when 5W30 oils are, usually, in the lower part of the scale (PP is 10.5, Formula Shell synthetic is 10.5, Synpower is 10.9) with a lower figure at 40C (PP is 59.7, Formula Shell is 57.5, Synpower is 61.7).

It is peanuts and you won't see the difference in real life, I wrote that just as a "kinda joke" (Just have to put more than just the gapteeth icon, my bad).

mistergib

Pescakl1 wrote:Sorry to confuse some, I play with the words here, but it is still true.

An 30 weight oil can range from about 9.7 to 12.2 cSt @100C.If you look at the specs of the oils, you will see that to get an 0W30 oil, manufacturers/blenders achieve that only with an oil being in the upper part of the scale (GC is 12.1, Esso XD-3 is 12.1, M1 is 11.0) with an higher figure for the 40C viscosity (GC is 66.8, Esso XD-3 is 71.0, M1 is 63.1) when 5W30 oils are, usually, in the lower part of the scale (PP is 10.5, Formula Shell synthetic is 10.5, Synpower is 10.9) with a lower figure at 40C (PP is 59.7, Formula Shell is 57.5, Synpower is 61.7).

It is peanuts and you won't see the difference in real life, I wrote that just as a "kinda joke" (Just have to put more than just the gapteeth icon, my bad).
...whew!....too much info for my old brain to worry about....just say'n0w30 or 5w30 is close enough for me and the applications we use itfor....its for sure, I'm not THAT technical. Thanks for try'n though...

Pescakl1

As you can see, I did some study since I asked you for advices on oils

But you are right, you won't see a lot of difference, if any, between 0Wxx and 5Wxx oils, too many variables in play.

Doing a lot of short trips (with quite some times between them) may be the only place where you will notice the difference.

Me, living in Quebec, I will continue to use 5W30 in winter with confidence as the 0Wxx is mainly important below -30C, and except in Alaska or North Canada, you don't see these conditions often.

Not going hard on the engine while it is not warn up yet is more important than the oil type.

gi'me

Pescakl1 wrote: Not going hard on the engine while it is not warn up yet is more important than the oil type.
Good Point!

For what it's worth, I took a bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 and set it out on a cold, 5F night in January. The next morning, it poured very well. The 0W-30 isn't necessary. Moreover, the manufacturer (as far as I know) recommends 5W-30. The metal-to-metal tolerances in this engine may be too great for the zero weight.

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Well, decided on 5w30 M1 after all. Just bought it at Walmart for just a shade under 24.00 I will see what happens. I based my discission on your talking about tolerances. Makes a lot of sence. My wifes car uses the same oil and she gets 28mpg on combined city and highway driving using a 2005 Chevy Malibu V6 4 speed auto which is incredible!! Will try to update you on how its going.
gi’me wrote:
Good Point!

For what it's worth, I took a bottle of Mobil1 5W-30 and set it out on a cold, 5F night in January. The next morning, it poured very well. The 0W-30 isn't necessary. Moreover, the manufacturer (as far as I know) recommends 5W-30. The metal-to-metal tolerances in this engine may be too great for the zero weight.

Return to “Rogue Forum”