harsh shifting(2005 6MT)...please help

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
vula

at times it's harsh to shift from from 1st to 2nd gear regardless of rev range but i never had it with downshifting to 2nd(it gives like a "crunch" sound on the shifter...i think)I addressed the problem to the dealership and they said they could not reproduce the sound....please help me narrow down the problem.any comment is appreciated

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The key is to try to be observant as to when it occurs. You want to try and be able to narrow down when it occurs, this way, you can reproduce it and help the dealer's technician reproduce it as well.

Jamaica2G
Car: 2005 Red G35 6MT Coupe

05 6MT G as well...I have the same exact problem.... just learn to shift harder! I know it doesnt sound like it is the answer, but it helps a lot.

I get a clank sometimes from 5th to 6th

and if I didnt shift it hard enough, I would get a grind sometimes from (with clutch to the floor):6th to 3rd, 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.

After shifting much harder when driving hard, I hardly have the grinding problems anymore, save for the 5th to 6th clank. Next time I take it to the dealer I will complain as well.

If you do searches on other forums, you'll find out that this is the 6th or 8th generation of this tranny by Nissan (I can't remember which number). The shifting has been notchy and grindy from the very beginning on the z's and g's and up to now the problem hasn't completely been solved.

You'll also read that many end up having their transmission completely changed at the dealer! It is this reason why I have not put in a short shifter kit on the car. I want all OEM parts that I can blame on the manufacturer.

Good luck, and as C-Kwik said, be observant.

Keep us posted!

Adrian

vula

i went to the dealership again.initally the consultant denied he got the "jolt" from 1st-2nd gear.he finally admitted that he got it on the 2nd time i had him drive it again...according to him,it's "normal" to have that...and i strongly disagree! i got the car 5 mos ago and for the first 2 months i did'nt have the problem...besides,our cars are equipped with synchornizer in between gears which suppose to make shifting smooth.recently i made a research and found 2 things that may cause the problem...1. cheap tranny oil that is so slippery that it prevents syncronizers to properly engage the gears...and temperature plays a role into this...the lower the temperature the more it gets viscous and the more it makes shifitng harder...i hope this is the case...otherwise we have the worse problem2.we have the bad/worn out synchro which possible caused by this oil.

this problem usually starts from 1st-2nd gears since they are the most used gears.it can also be caused by hard/fast shifting not allowing enough time for the syncro to engage properly.how much time? i don't know...i started driving stick @ age 16 and i've been shifting even without thinking and i never had the problem( not nissan)..i'm going back to the dealership and and bug them about this again...oh and what makes the symptoms intermittent could be the uneven wear of the synchro teeth(my theory)thanks

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

vula wrote:at times it's harsh to shift from from 1st to 2nd gear regardless of rev range but i never had it with downshifting to 2nd(it gives like a "crunch" sound on the shifter...i think)
Ever try double clutching?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

vula wrote:1. cheap tranny oil that is so slippery that it prevents syncronizers to properly engage the gears...and temperature plays a role into this...the lower the temperature the more it gets viscous and the more it makes shifitng harder...i hope this is the case...otherwise we have the worse problem
Actually, it is the expensive synthetics that are slipperier at greater temperature range extreemes.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”