Hardbody transmission interchangeable?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Madgreek
Car: 1996 Nissan hard body

Hello!

I have a 96 hardbody xe single cab short bed 4 cylinder 4x2 5speed manual trans.
Unfortunately the transmission went out on my way home from work one night. As I was driving, first gear was fine, once I shifted into 2nd I heard clanking so I went to 3rd and it was still clanking so I went to 4th and it was fine so I drove home in 4th. After I got home I tried to engage 5th and reverse but nothing.

I pulled the trans and saw the counter shaft was broken and what I’m assuming is 5th gear with a broken tooth.
Now that you know the story, I’m looking for a transmission and need to know what years can fit my truck. Thank you for your time and interest.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

According to the interchange - 1996 -1997 ONLY. Go online - Car-Part.com. Used auto parts market There is a rafter full of rebuilt and used transmissions at numerous salvage yards throughout the U.S.

alexg89
Car: 95 Hardbody
07 Frontier

any 4cyl Z or KA trans from 86-00 will work
Being you have a 96 you have a crank trigger hole in the bellhousing. As long as you retain your bellhousing you can use any of those year trans.
86-93 has a speedo cable so you will remove that and use your sensor . All the plugs will be the same also

have done this many of times . .had a 98 frontier with a 87 trans in it.. worked just fine

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

alexg89 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am
any 4cyl Z or KA trans from 86-00 will work
Being you have a 96 you have a crank trigger hole in the bellhousing. As long as you retain your bellhousing you can use any of those year trans.
86-93 has a speedo cable so you will remove that and use your sensor . All the plugs will be the same also

have done this many of times . .had a 98 frontier with a 87 trans in it.. worked just fine
Thanks for your response. According to the interchange the only difference I can see is the speedometer. Wasn’t sure if they were interchangeable. Thanks for your input.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”