hardbody cold air intake

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
paul1217
Car: 1990 Jimmy

ok, ive got a customer with a 95 hardbody show truck and awhile back he bought an APC "Intimidator" (i think) cold air intake and it made his truck run real crappy and everything was installed correctly. he called APC and they said that he had to buy a new MAFS and fuel regulator, another $350ish. why would that be needed? ive seen it work on a lot of domestic cars and havent seen any porblems. is there some technical reason or is it some nissan quirk?

NISTECH

I have never heard of that either. I get lots of aftermarket CAI's installed on nissans and all their other equipment is factory. Is the air filter oiled. If so its possible oil got on the hot wire in the airflow meter causeing the drivability problem.

LLPappa

I know this is a little late but better late then never.

I have experience with this intake myself on my truck. The problem is not any of that which you have listed. And APC is wrong.

The problem is not a malfunctioning sensor. The problem is that the sensor is seeing to much air. Very common with this intake experienced it myself.

On the back side of the intake adaptor there should be a small tube and a air sensor that screws in. It is that sensor reading to much air.

How do you fix it? Well APC in their infinite wisdom I think is now selling a air divertor. But basically what you need to do is take the factory piece that hold the adaptor in place and weld a little piece of metal to it on the passenger side front of it. I can give you pictures if you would like it is cheap aluminum so becareful.

Hope that helps you out.

paul1217
Car: 1990 Jimmy

well, its not too late cause i just started coming back to this site with another problem.

but send me pictures so that i can see what your talking about, very interested cause i want to improve the performance, not make it run like crap. i still plan on getting the fuel pressure regulator cause i think im running a bit rich right now, but thats $120 that ill need to get later.

my email is [email protected], send me what ever pics you got.

thanks a lot!!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”