Hard starting after head gasket change

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
gsoh2oman1975
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima S 2.5

I'm having an issue on my 2007 Altima 2.5 after I changed the head gasket (also changed the head out with a remanufactured head because my exhaust valves were leaking) getting it to start. So after I put everything back together I hand cranked the motor a couple of times and then cranked it with the starter a few times with the fuel pump fuse removed to let the oil pump circulate the oil around before I ran the car. Once I put the fuse back in the engine did not want to start but after waiting 20 minutes or so I tried again and it fired right up and ran smooth. I let the engine run a good 10 or 15 minutes and I shut it off and waited another 20 minutes or so and now it will not start at all. The battery is fairly new and I put it on the charger before cranking it. Also when I'm trying to start the engine all the dash lights black out on me and then come back on when the starter cuts off. I also did get it started yesterday for a few seconds and it did give a fault code of P0340 so I changed the crankshaft position sensor but it still is doing the same thing. Any ideas what might be going on? I could see if it didnt start at all after the head job that my timing might be off but since it did crank and run good im thinking its not that? :gotme Im stumped. Thanks in advance!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You can charge a dead battery until the end of the earth and still it is dead. LOADTEST it at the parts store, all the dash lights going out say bad battery or power supply issues (cables).

If you knew how many batteries I changed that people said were 'new', ..............it literally means nothing.

gsoh2oman1975

Thanks but it's not the battery it tests good. I actually think the dash lights going out is normal it just has always started in the past and I never noticed it. Anymore ideas?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Uh, p0340 is a CAMSHAFT sensor code not crankshaft..............

gsoh2oman1975

I meant camshaft position sensor. I changed the camshaft sensor, duh my brain sometimes.

gsoh2oman1975

Well I think I finally found the problem. I am apparently a tooth off on my cam timing. After doing some more research I found someone in another forum say they were a tooth off and they unplugged the cam position sensor and once they did they could crank the car so I tried it and low and behold it fired right up. I will start on it tomorrow and see if I can get it timed right and hopefully get it back on the road soon.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”