Hard start idling issue

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Dunsparth
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

Just picked up a 96 s14 all original with 207k miles for a great price.
Car has a bit of a hard start does like 5-6 cranks than it starts
Has a new battery and isr fuel pump in it.
The car also has a little bit of an idling issue to where it will idle above 1k but the idle fluctuates up than drops back down.
Also noticed the smell of fuel while sitting in traffic or keeping the car idling like it's running very rich or leaking fuel any ideas on where to check before I just start replacing stuff?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Mine had issue with starting and it was the starter itself. Mines a '95. The car is so old, the contacts inside the starter motor were worn off. Mine was a slow downhill. More and more cranks to start, until finally nothing. Could be other things. Do some further diagnoses before buying parts. Like, check your fuel pressure. Also, check the seal of the fuel tank cover. Could be leaking fumes there into the cabin after installing that fuel pump.

Idle fluctuation is probably a vacuum leak in your intake system. You'll want to find it and fix it. Such a leak could be related to your fuel smells, so work on that first. If still smelling fuel after fixing your idle, then check fuel filter, hoses, fpr, fuel rail and injectors for visible issues.

Welcome to NICO Club! Download your FSM to your device to have and hold (service manuals link at top of page).

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”