Hard decisions....

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Well, I have been bartending on Saturday nights lately. My wife says that all the money I make bartending is mine to do with as I wish so, the question is;

FWIW, the kitchen sink and dishwasher that I have now are both great, but the new ones are really nice.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Hey Bean

Go exhaust brother!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Exhaust, Fo Show

or

Save up for FI...

goneracin
Car: 2004 G35X Sedan 1990 Mustang conv.

I have a similar situation. I sell cars from a local auto auction for some "play" money. Most of the money goes for car stuff, but I allocate about 30% to home stuff(appliances, building a house, etc.) +1 on the ground wires, then exhaust.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I've run "The money is yours" through Bablefish, female to male translator. This is the translated version of what she told you;"If you buy another thing for that damn car, I'll never speak to you again."

Suggestion. Give her your tips, and keep the checks.

Jacko3

Bean:

Do the exahust. Then, give her tips and keep the check, as rn79870 had suggested. Well worth it!

Beancooker

I give her over $50k a year in checks, this one, the tips and check is mine. This equates to about $200-220 a week, and is only temporary, until a permanent 4 day a week bartender is found. Not being greedy, but I know that of my regular 40 per week job, I don't see much (if any) $$$ from it, so that's why I will keep all of this. She has plenty of $$$ to get herself whatever she needs.

Why exhaust? Is there really that big of a HP gain?

I have a local guy that has done a lot of exhaust work for me in the past. He said he can put a true dual on for $600.-$800. depending on what mufflers I choose. He is even willing to let me "test sound" different mufflers in his garage, so I can get the sound that I like.

Or is it really worth shelling out $1300. for the Stealin?

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Beancooker wrote:Why exhaust? Is there really that big of a HP gain?
I say go with the exhaust 'cause that's going to give you the most bang for your buck. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet offer from your local guy so you may want to give that a shot... I don't think you have to go with Stillen, but I'd definately go with a name brand that has put a lot of design into the G... Look at it this way, for an extra couple hundred bucks you can get a quality product that has proven results. You can't put a value on peace of mind in my opinion.

I wouldn't buy rims if I were you... you get no performance value and living in the pacific NW where it rains ALL the time and your roads have more potholes than a jamaican graveyard... you're going to ding those rims in no time and buyers remorse is immenant.

Even though the home inprovement is the smartest choice... it's your FUN MONEY! Enjoy it!

Just my thoughts...

Beancooker

ArizonaG35 wrote:
I wouldn't buy rims if I were you... you get no performance value and living in the pacific NW where it rains ALL the time and your roads have more potholes than a jamaican graveyard... you're going to ding those rims in no time and buyers remorse is immenant.
I wouldn't go all blingish, I'd stay at 18". As you said, too many potholes, and big wheels make for a s**tty ride.

As far as the local guy, he said I choose the pipe material, gauge, and so on, so I might go with him... And he has done a lot for me in the past

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

this is a question i consider quite heavily as well.

I just talked to a rep at one of the retailing joints and he said that the exhaust really isn't going to change much. '

I know that Stillen claims 21-23 HP/ft. Tq for the Sedan, but that seems awful generous on their part from an exhaust.

joe603

There is a jump in HP, but as with all breathing mods they work together. You'll probably see 8-10 HP. If you got a local guy that will do a custom fitted exhaust, go for it! The Stillen does not have a resonator and is true dual all the way back, with an X-pipe just after the CATs. I think HKS makes a muffler that is seperate from the CAT-back kit...

I would go with:

HKSNismoInjenStillen (if they sell just the muffler)

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I was wondering if either the 2 or 3 chamber Flowmasters has made it to the G world. Has anyone tried Flowmaster mufflers on their G? I put them on one of my Mustangs and the sound was awesome. Good sound and very light mufflers.

joe603

Flowmasters sound best with higher displacement engines...I don't think our 3.5L would sound good. Anyone try it?

Beancooker

Flowmasters is something that I'll definitely be trying on. If I decide to have it done, I'll let you know how it sounds.

My bro has a Pontiac Grad Prix with a 3.5 or 3.8l V6. He has Flowmasters on his, and it sounds pretty good. Just not that loud, really muffled.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

voted to keep the wifie happy! granite & no dishwasher & grounding kit & extra $$ toward exhaust fund.

brizanden
Car: thrased kouki ftw

joe603 wrote:Exhaust, Fo Show

or

Save up for FI...
exactly my thoughts exhaust for show or gram lights ftw .only u can decide

Beancooker

SVTCOBRA wrote:voted to keep the wifie happy! granite & no dishwasher & grounding kit & extra $$ toward exhaust fund.
Um, as ghey as it sounds, the Granite sink and SS dishwasher are things I want, not the wife... Plus, the sink costs a little more than the dishwasher.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I'd personally pass on the granite sink. Maybe a Corian sink, but not Granite. The stuff is too brittle and porous.

As for the performance of the Gram lites that someone mentioned earlier? Actually a lightweight rim does have performance benefits, they come by way of less rotating mass, meaning more HP to the pavement.

How about you keep saving until this temp gig is over. Once you have a definative sum, then buy a floor model dishwasher, and see what's left over, then you can make the mod decision.

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Beancooker wrote:
Um, as ghey as it sounds, the Granite sink and SS dishwasher are things I want, not the wife... Plus, the sink costs a little more than the dishwasher.
oh, not ghey at all. We are also looking at upgrading the kitchen with granite.

Recently got excited about finding a 12 inch henkle chef's knife on clearance + 25% off at a local store (Tuesday Morning) frequented mainly by womens!!! Need big knife to chop up Eastern Style BBQ (grunt..grunt..) 10 inch just wasn't cutting it....

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Beancooker wrote:
Dude, Don't feel like a Nancy for wanting to upgrade your house... it's a sound investment (Although less in this market) and it's very satisfying to have a nice home. We have Granite throughout the kitchen except the sink. I agree with sentient that a granite sink is a bit brittle and porous to have as a sink, but if you dig it then

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Beancooker wrote:Well, I have been bartending on Saturday nights lately. My wife says that all the money I make bartending is mine to do with as I wish so, the question is;

FWIW, the kitchen sink and dishwasher that I have now are both great, but the new ones are really nice.
My vote

Fully fund your 401K retirement plan and or IRA

529B College fund for the kids

Telcoman

Beancooker

telcoman wrote:
My vote

Fully fund your 401K retirement plan and or IRA

529B College fund for the kids

Telcoman
I already invest the maximum allowed in my 401k.

Stepson works at a hospital, Stepdaughter is in the Air Force. College isn't a concern.

I like the granite sink, because it will work perfectly for my kitchen, and my 2" chopping block actually fits in the chopping block space built into the sink. That's why I like that peticular sink. A far as a floor model dishwasher, no offense, but no way. I want something that is really quiet, and decent on annual cost to operate. I am really really picky as far as my kitchen goes. I used to be a chef in a 5 star Italian cafe. So picky is a huge understatement.

I understand about the performance advantages about lightweight wheels. I am all for it, but split between that and exhaust.

The other side of me really wants 75 extra HP, at the flip of a switch and the WOT of the pedal.

The temp gig could go as far as 1 more weekend, or 6 more months, I am way too impatient to wait.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I was referring to the salesfloor dishwasher.

My wife and I bought a very nice range just recently. Retail at lowe's was around $700, we paid $400 delived because we took the floor model (they ended up giving us a brand new one by accident).

My point is that a little scratch on the kick board is worth the discount to me.

I wouldn't buy a low-end appliance. It's just not my style. I was raised as an only child and some how ended up with much finer taste than either of my parents raised me with.

Getting over 40% off and having $300 to spend on mods is a whole different story.

Prozac
Car: 99 QX4, 03 G35 Coupe, 08 MB C300 4matic

Sentientbydesign wrote:I was referring to the salesfloor dishwasher.

My wife and I bought a very nice range just recently. Retail at lowe's was around $700, we paid $400 delived because we took the floor model (they ended up giving us a brand new one by accident).

My point is that a little scratch on the kick board is worth the discount to me.

I wouldn't buy a low-end appliance. It's just not my style. I was raised as an only child and some how ended up with much finer taste than either of my parents raised me with.

Getting over 40% off and having $300 to spend on mods is a whole different story.
I work for an appliance wholesaler in chicago. I second this approach as sound advise. Dealers usually have some killer deals on high quality but damaged dishwashers. Most will mark them down below cost just to get them out of their stock. Average markup on a Bosch, Gaggenau, Thermador, Jenn air or Kitchenaid will be in the 20% neighborhood. The mark down below cost can be as much as another 20-25%. That saves you 40-45% on a $600 dishwasher. Just make sure you still get a full warranty.

danielekfuj
Car: miata, rocket ship

i vote nitrous. granite is overrated.

brizanden

Sentientbydesign wrote:I'd personally pass on the granite sink. Maybe a Corian sink, but not Granite. The stuff is too brittle and porous.

As for the performance of the Gram lites that someone mentioned earlier? Actually a lightweight rim does have performance benefits, they come by way of less rotating mass, meaning more HP to the pavement.

How about you keep saving until this temp gig is over. Once you have a definative sum, then buy a floor model dishwasher, and see what's left over, then you can make the mod decision.
thts wht im sayin less rotational mass = > 8hp to flywheel from exhaust

Beancooker

Sentientbydesign wrote:I was referring to the salesfloor dishwasher.

Ahhh, now I see what you're saying. And that's how I was able to get my Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. They werre the displays...

Wheels or exhaust... The dilemma continues.

brizanden

wheels ps my $200 cpu will toast ur 75$ cpu cuase mine is pretty nast oc'ed as well : P

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

between the two, go with the bigger performance, which is the exhaust. Save up for the rims when you need to get new tires.

brizanden

^ bigger performance is probably the wheels actually. less unsprung weight requires less power to start and stop. its somethin around like each ounce of unsprung weight counts as like 10 lbs elseware from the car

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”