Hard decisions....

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

A pound of unsprung is equivilant to 20 of sprung.

The difference that I am seeing right now, is the fact that the cheapest I can find a set of Gram Lites is about $1800 for a set + mount and balance. Looks like it's exhaust, but Nitrous is still a good contender.

Screw the sink and dishwasher...

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

You'll love the exhaust Noah... trust me.
Beancooker wrote:Screw the sink and dishwasher...
I wouldn't but this guy might

http://www.fox19.com/Global/st...u63_2

Beancooker

brizanden wrote:wheels ps my $200 cpu will toast ur 75$ cpu cuase mine is pretty nast oc'ed as well : P
okay

I'm running 3.6 Ghz all day long baby... For $75.

Re read my sig...

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

G_whizz wrote:You'll love the exhaust Noah... trust me.

I wouldn't but this guy might

http://www.fox19.com/Global/st...u63_2

What is wrong with people??? Maybe we should hook him up with some of Brian's "toys".

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

brizanden wrote:thts wht im sayin less rotational mass = > 8hp to flywheel from exhaust
I was referring to ArizonaG35 who said there was no performance benefits from gram lights.

There was another company I came across recently that offered 15-16lb 17s, but they never responded to my email.

brizanden
Car: thrased kouki ftw

Beancooker wrote:
okay

Re read my sig...
ok wht u did is more impressive to, but mine is still faster 3.8 ghz and probably more stable due to the fact i am not completely raping my factory rated 2.66ghz duo

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Beancooker wrote:
okay

Re read my sig...
Intel or AMD?

Beancooker

Intel.

It's stable enough to run Prime95 for 26 hours, and was folding for almost a week straight after the Prime95 test...

I'm pretty sure she's stable. But you are 100mhz faster! And second place is the first looser, so you got me there.

BTW, you realize that we are total fuggin geeks, right?

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

*in a british accent* I prefer to be referred to as an individual with extensive interests!

j/k

Yeah, check out my profile. I've never been normal.

Amature radio, computers, bowling...etc.

I miss my old Asus A7N8X deluxe with an AMD XP 2700+. I built it from scratch a few years back and it's been more stable than everything I've used since. My mom bought it off of me when I moved out. I still miss that rig. All aluminum Full Tower ATX case with a plexi side panel and support for 6 or 7 fans. 4-7 1/4" bays and 4-3.5" with semi- hot swap cages.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

LoL

I'm still using my A7N8X deluxe with my Athlon 2700+

I have no reason to overclock it.

As far as overclocking goes, just because a CPU is running a faster clock cycle doesn't always mean faster performance. MB/CPU architecture is very important as well.

brizanden
Car: thrased kouki ftw

^yoooo computer techies unite. we run the world lol idc who thinks im a geek i will always know more about the equipment they are using then they do hahaha

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

tollboothwilley wrote:LoL

I'm still using my A7N8X deluxe with my Athlon 2700+

I have no reason to overclock it.

As far as overclocking goes, just because a CPU is running a faster clock cycle doesn't always mean faster performance. MB/CPU architecture is very important as well.
No fair!!! I want mine back. I'm assuming you built your own machine?

I think the premise behind overclocking is the same as larger injectors and a faster fuel pump. If the architecture is good, then scaling it should great (at least in theory).

tollboothwilley

Sentientbydesign wrote:
No fair!!! I want mine back. I'm assuming you built your own machine?

I think the premise behind overclocking is the same as larger injectors and a faster fuel pump. If the architecture is good, then scaling it should great (at least in theory).
Of course. Haven't bought a computer built in my lifetime! haha

As for overclocking, you'll note that AMD has historically (not with some of the newer ones) outperformed Intel in a lot of independent benchmarks. The reason for this is Architecture of the CPU. The clock cycles are used much more efficiently so that in 3 clock cycles then can do what other CPU's took 4-5 cycles. By overclocking the cpu, you increase the clock cycles per second but may not see much of an increase as the cycles per process will likely increase as well.

I'm not saying it can't make it faster, just saying that a lot of times people think they are getting more than they really are

Beancooker

[/threadjack]

Well, guess it's going to be exhaust. I have a call out to a company on the price of their headers too. They list at $348. but I want to make sure that is for a pair, and not eaches. I am almost sure it is an each price, since $348 is too cheap for a pair of SS headers, but we'll see.

Sean/Joe, did you guys take the resonator off or leave it on...

tollboothwilley

What brand of headers?

I saw some HKS ones for sale, used....for like $400-450 for the set

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Beancooker wrote:I have a local guy that has done a lot of exhaust work for me in the past. He said he can put a true dual on for $600.-$800. depending on what mufflers I choose. He is even willing to let me "test sound" different mufflers in his garage, so I can get the sound that I like.

Or is it really worth shelling out $1300. for the Stealin?
Before you dish out any money on a custom exhaust, consider that manty of the exhaust companies struggled with the exhaust design for the G and Z. The typical mandrel bent pipes and larger pipes approach to gaining HP didn't work. They actually had to engineer the exhausts and/or go through some trial and error to make any decent power.

As for the mufflers, I tend to avoid Flowmaster. Some magazines have done flowtesting and they are loud for the amount of flow they provide. In fact, they found straight through muffler designs to flow better and were quieter. If more power is your goal, I probably wouldn't start out considering a Flowmaster...

joe603

I agree with Chano, avoid the flowmasters...I had a set on my 97 V8 firebird and they were A N N O Y I N G!!! Very loud, droning sound at highway speeds. Bite the bullet and go with Stillen...or HKS if you like the look of the tips.

To answer your question, the Stillen kit deletes the resonator with an X-pipe.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

USED BORLA HEADERS ON EBAY FOR $100

Beancooker

5 days left on the auction. I'll bid when there is less than an hour left, if they haven't gone up too high in price.

G_whizz

Hey Bean... it's off..

Beancooker

WOOT WOOT MOTHER****ERS!!!! The pair is stainless steel, brand new, and $348. Guess what I'm ordering when I get home tonight...

G_whizz

Sweet!

What kind of gains are you looking at?

Beancooker

11.5 hp at @ 6200 RPM and 18.5-lb.ft @ 3800 RPM at the wheels.

Couple this with the true dual exhaust, and damn, I think I have a chubby... I gotta go back to work.

G_whizz

That is eff'n sweet!

18.5-lb.ft @ 3800 RPM at the wheels will make a REALLY nice improvement!!

Beancooker

Yeah, I'm stoked about getting the headers, but I'm not at all stoked about the install of them. I think it will be a day of teh suck.

joe603

We could really use a write up on a header/exhaust install....I feel for you already on the headers. Hopefully it won't be a weekend of suck! I'd help if you weren't on the other side of the friggen country!

Beancooker

Well, the local guy isn't going to be doing my exhaust. He didn't want to listen to anything that I suggested. I tried to explain that Stillen has a lot of R&D in that system, and it's probably a good idea to rip off their design. He wanted to do something totally different, which may have had great results (he's been doing exhaust for 37 years) but not worth the gamble of my $1000. It looks like I'll be going with Stillen when I save up enough.

Which brings up another point. My rear tires are shot. A set of stock size is actually $60 more than a set of wider tires. I can get 275/40/18 for less than the uncommon 245/45/18. The best part is that the 275's are the exact same height as the 245's when you swap out the 45% for a 40%. That means no need to calibrate the speedo.

My Yokohama's were so crappy, and I am so unimpressed by them, that I'll go back to my old favorite of Falken. They lasted forever on my Maxima. I wasted so much of them smoking them at the dragstrip, and those tires just wouldn't die. They were also nice and grippy.

Crappy part is that it means another few weeks of bartending to pay for the tires. Guess exhaust is on hold for a little while.

All in due time.

G_whizz

That blows Bean.. but... you will like the Stillen. Are you going to go dual wall or single? I prefer the wider look of the single myself.

As for ties.. I did suggest the 275's to you (in another thread) that's the route I'll be going when the time comes. Love the wider stance. I think Joe has that exact size your looking at. I'm surprised to hear about the Yoko's being crappy as I had them on my Maxima and loved them.

Out of curiousity, what's the weight difference with the wider tires?

Bartending for a few more weeks?? I hope you make more in tips?? The Stillen isn't that much more expensive then 1k.

Maybe un button your shirt a lil more for the ladies..

Beancooker

Single wall.

Yoko's suck. Semi sticky, and worn out in 11k miles. They were brand new the day I got the car, and despite my sig, I really haven't roasted the tires that much. Like I said the Falkens lasted a lot longer, and were roasted a lot more.

I'll weigh them when I go to the shop.

Hopefully for a few more weeks.

My wife would kill me if I unbuttoned my shirt... Plus, there are too many filthy skeezers that would be looking... Eeewwwwww...

I have a cold and feel like poop. I'm going to go watch Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Beancooker wrote:Well, the local guy isn't going to be doing my exhaust. He didn't want to listen to anything that I suggested. I tried to explain that Stillen has a lot of R&D in that system, and it's probably a good idea to rip off their design. He wanted to do something totally different, which may have had great results (he's been doing exhaust for 37 years) but not worth the gamble of my $1000. It looks like I'll be going with Stillen when I save up enough.

Which brings up another point. My rear tires are shot. A set of stock size is actually $60 more than a set of wider tires. I can get 275/40/18 for less than the uncommon 245/45/18. The best part is that the 275's are the exact same height as the 245's when you swap out the 45% for a 40%. That means no need to calibrate the speedo.

My Yokohama's were so crappy, and I am so unimpressed by them, that I'll go back to my old favorite of Falken. They lasted forever on my Maxima. I wasted so much of them smoking them at the dragstrip, and those tires just wouldn't die. They were also nice and grippy.

Crappy part is that it means another few weeks of bartending to pay for the tires. Guess exhaust is on hold for a little while.

All in due time.
Did you check out the sponsors marketplace? There's an Injen?...I forgot...The titanium burnished tips for $800 including shipping.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”