hand brake light stays on!!!

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
vividance

hi,

my hand brake light stays on even when I release it fully, any one knows why ?it's on even when driving :(

drjohn

The wire could be pinched but also check the fluid level in the master cylinder it will trip the brake light on if low. Sometimes the level float goes bad in the master cyl. or sticks low in the res.to check either the e brake or the master cyl. just disconnect each one one at a time so see which puts the light out. If this doesn't do it check the alt. output low chaging from the alt. will cause the brake light to stay on but this usually has a charge light on with it.

vividance

hi thanks :) it is as u mention the brake fluid VERY LOW, bought one litre, that should last me sometime:D

may i ask , why did the brake fluid drop, I reckon the pads are still thick and there's no leakage.:confused:

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Did it just get colder were you live?May cause fluid to shrink just a tad and seals to shrink as well, with the second item causing some leakage.

Fred...:)

drjohn

The fluid does go down when the pads wear but this happens slowly. Keep an eye on the fluid and if it goes down quikly you have a leak. Check the calipers for leaks and the master cyl. at the booster. It will leak down the booster and is sometimes not noticed. A good sign of this is paint bubbling up under the master on the booster and the frame rail under the master cyl.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”