Halo 4 is freakin insane!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
Xdisaster240sX
Car: S13 Hatch, R32 GTS4

My son has off school so we went and grabbed his birthday gift tonight. I must say...this Halo may be the best game Ive played in years.
Waiting for his copy

After he got it.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

I'm actually really looking forward to playing this one...I'll probably just rent it though. My girlfriend really loves the halo series, so she'll actually play this one with me.

how's the story line? Does it live up to the first and second ones?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

orangeNblue wrote:how's the story line? Does it live up to the first and second ones?
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

bigbadberry3

I hate the button layout.

B stands for BASH.

bigbadberry3

Maybe this game would of made sense if I had played reach?

It's an average FPS by my standards.

Bashing animations are pointless.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

bigbadberry3 wrote:I hate the button layout.

B stands for BASH.
RTFM...there are multiple controller layouts. I don't even own the game and I'm aware of this. :facepalm:
bigbadberry3 wrote:Maybe this game would of made sense if I had played reach?
In what sense? You can't be talking about the storyline, the story of Halo: Reach takes place even before Halo: Combat Evolved. Are you talking about the control layout? If that's the case, both Reach and H4 allow for multiple controller configurations. RTFM
bigbadberry3 wrote:It's an average FPS by my standards.
The large discrepancy between the critic and user scores for H4 on Metacritic, and the game's price drop to $40 pretty much everywhere made me pass it over when I had ample opportunity to buy it over the holiday season. I saw it and just felt like it looked like CoD in space...not what I was looking for.

So, what exactly are you criteria for a quality FPS?

Maybe you should have listened.

bigbadberry3

BusyBadger wrote: RTFM
Yes,I cycled through the options for controller layouts. Not a single one I liked no matter what I tried and no I will not learn how to claw.

I've been spoiled by my years of PC gaming with custom key layouts.

Horrible ending to H4 BTW.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

bigbadberry3 wrote: Not a single one I liked no matter what I tried and no I will not learn how to claw.
So then, B isn't always for bash. ;)

I wasn't excited for any of the story for H4 when I heard that MSFT had Greg Bear on staff as a writer (never was a fan of his) and then heard in various articles and interviews that he had to learn about the world before writing content. I'd prefer someone well versed in the world, connected to the community and aware of details great and small to be working on the story, not an outsider that has to study to get things right.

So, you never said, what are you looking for in an FPS. I'll only recommend console stuff since I don't game on the PC anymore...spend too much time in front of them foot work to come home and sit in front of one when I'm not getting paid.

Face it though, the multiplayer portion of the FPS genre isn't going away. It's too easy and too lucrative for developers/publishers not to make it a (significant) portion of the game(s).

One that I highly recommend that sailed underneath a lot of radar is Dishonored, no ta typical FPS, but great gameplay that rewards out of the box thinking and can be played through a variety of ways. It's the best title I picked up this year...that includes Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3.

/threadjack

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Dishonored was fantastic. Easily the best console-available game I've played all year (it's still 2012 for a bit). I passed on it for a long time because I was strongly put-off by the the game's hype-machine marketing, which completely ignored the game's attributes in favor of "WE MAKE VIDEO GAME YOU LOOK AT VIDEO GAME CALL OF DUTY IS NOT THE ONLY VIDEO GAME WE MADE ONE TOO IT COST LOTS OF MONEY YOU BUY OUR GAME." Which is unfortunate, because the game does a LOT of extremely excellent things. It's short, a bit narrow in scope, and very very linear. But boy is it a fun ride.

However, next to Borderlands 2 the amount of content is microscopic, and the first DLC is a pathetic collection of standalone challenges. For the money, I'd recommend Borderlands 2. ESPECIALLY if you have friends to play it with.

But the best game (not shooter, not console-limited) I played this year was FTL. Suck it, AAA budgets.

Return to “Gaming”