HALF LIFE 2 GETS 98% FROM PC GAMER!!!!!

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Heh...that's pretty cool. I haven't seen that before. 45 minutes is pretty good. I think my record is about three hours, but I screw around a lot...you know...break ALL the crates, kill eveything that moves that isn't necessary to get me through a door...that. I never really hurried much.

But the thing that gets me about that site is:
Speed Demos Archive wrote:Released in Late 1998, Half-Life used a heavily modified Quake engine to create a very immersive 3D FPS experience.
HUH?? The quake engine was ditched in early development because it was too limiting. I have some of the demo videos of early Quake engine based Half life and it looks like CRAP. I'll upload them and like over to them from here so you can check them out. Half Life was not based on the Quake engine. It used the Half Life engine. Kind of scares me when a site dedicated to a game screws up something that major...

Sorry, I don't mean to say this is a stupid site (its not...I should do a demo and see what I can do)...But as I said...Half Life is my favorite game ever, so I catch little things like that.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

how the hell did i miss this thread >_<

3 more days guys. BTW is there anyway to take an old mod from half life 1 and convert it into half life 2 graphics?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Valve says they are working with most of the more popular HL mods to convert them over to the Source engine. As it stands, HL and CS are already converted and come with certain pre-order packages. But I'd bet that we'll be seeing DoD and the like converted over sometime soon.

When HL2 comes out, I'm going to be camped at my parents' place for a while. My computer is dead and I need one that can make it look really good. They've got a very nice one.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

so, for you to convert a mod you would just need to start over? I wanted to convert that DBZ mod over to hl2

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm not really sure of the backward compatibility between the Source and Half Life engines. What I do know is that HL Source still uses the Hi Def models for characters, weapons, and enemies, while the environment uses new Source materials. So I assume that means that a lot of the Half Life engine based items should work normally in Source. Now, if you wanted things to look better, you'd have to re-build the models and such.

sanioll
Car: 240SX SE - Toyota Camry

OKAY BIG KIDS,

IT IS 11/15/04 AND THE GAME WAS AVAILABLE AT BEST BUY SINCE SATURDAY.

SO GO TO BEST BUY AND GRAB IT FOR $55 BUCKS.

I DIDN'T BUY IT, AND PROBABLY WON'T. WHY? BECUASE I DONT LIKE VALVE'S MARKETING STRATEGY AND BESIDES I'LL JUST BORROW IT FROM A BIG KID FRIEND OF MINE.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Just curious...what is it about Valve's marketing strategy you don't like?

I can't not buy it. I have an obligation as the single most obsessive Half Life fan ever to be waiting outside the doors of Gamestop when they open at ten tomorrow morning.

And I have an obligation to myself to not wait one single second longer for the joy that will be playing HL2.

EDIT:

Here, enjoy vicariously.
Modified by MinisterofDOOM at 1:14 AM 11/17/2004

sanioll

i just wasted 57 bucks on HL2, so i will take my words back on marketing of valve.

game sucks and it is perfect, after all its just a game. maybe i am a lil depressed, since at work iam at the edge of getting my paycheck almost cut in half. damn low intelligence low class coworkers, get a life.

got it today, and it was a pain in the *** to get it started. game overall is good, gameplay is waht i like about half life

graphics almost suck. i wanta magic. they r good, but i want it to look like in real life.

i played it in full quality 1280*968 resolution, didn't have time to experience antialiasing yet.

played it only up until that erotic female, (what is her name?) opens that soda machine secret door. then i came to work, and also, i didn't get any sleep before coming to work, just because of HL2. its that good.

game crashes a lot. it starts looping small segment of sound, then i have to quit. or do alt+tab then come back again, then it works. maybe its my pc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------i donno, im just really excited that i have HL2 now. let see how it looks. i also dont feel the plesure of it, i have lost interest in video games.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The crashing is your PC. It's running beautifully at 800 by 600 with full settings and FSAA on my roommate's 2.4 Ghz Athlon 64 with 512 mb RAM and a 128mb Radoen 9600. It's a dated system, and it still runs fine.

The girl is Alyx. I like her character (as in, not just the looks--she'a a bunch of pixels for Hell's sake!), very entertaining and sarcastic. She's amusing. Plus, she's actually intelligent (gasp!). Wait 'till you meet her pet robot, Dog. I can't wait to fight along side that monstrosity!

I didn't get any sleep before work because of Half Life 2 either. I came home from work, dealt with the transmission shop people, tried to get my truck registered so I can finally sell it but was told to get new tires which I can't afford 'till friday, then spent an hour and a half dealing with Steam. Then I FINALLY got the game running. Played nonstop from about 2:30 'till 10:00 when I had to leave for work. Then I slept for an hour at work. Slept from 7:30 'till 7:30 (as in twelve hours of sleep, not zero hours) today. Only got to play (HL2) for about 2 hours today.

I like how you put that: "The game sucks it is perfect."

It's sad that you have lost interest in video games...why?

Why are you at the edge of getting your paycheck cut in half? That really sucks, dude.

sanioll

the game is nice. i really wish i had a dual 6800's so i could play it on plasma or some projector.

i already got to that Alyx's robot dog, Alyx gave me the gravity gun and i played cannon ball with that dog, with really heavy stuff.

really sad i had to leave to work just after 2 mins of pleasure of gravity gun.

graphics SUCK, they actually do. water is good. i say it has better refraction than far cry but far cry had better reflectiviness.

bump mapping is wayyyyyyyyyy worse. i hoped to see somthing like doom3 bump mapping. halo's bump mapping when light projected is the way it should be.

BUT we not concerned about taht right? games like doom 3 which was built around graphics, and that was the flaw that brought it down. it was boring.

but this game is stunningly addictive. the environment, the feel, the music, everything adds to the realism of the game and raises it above the crowd.

reason it doesn't look good is taht it is intended for everybody.

i'm not happy with steam activation either, also when you start teh game it says connecting to your user account, then start offline. I mean COME ON!

just start it up!

OVERALL I WILL GIVE IT A 96% FOR SATISFACTION. ORIGIONAL HALF LIFE MADE ME MORE HAPPY AND SCARED THOUGH. MAYBE I WAS TOO YOUNG BACK THEN.

sanioll

SO OVERALL THE GAME IS BETTER THAN HALO, CALL OF DUTY, FAR CRY, DOOM3 AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Just wait until you get to fight along side Dog and he starts flinging cars and tanks at Combine soldiers.

Example:

I'm hiding behind a car shooting it out with three or four Combine soldiers. then I realize Dog hasn't been helping.

I look around, but have to fight, too. I can't see Dog.

I ask aloud, "Hey, boy...where'd ya go...?" ( I actually found myself actually feeling some connection to both Dog and my Antlion herd...very cool)

WHOOSH!! As if in response, a Combine APC goes flying just inches over my head and crushes the Combine soldiers.

Oh yeah...very cool!

sanioll

Alyx: Gordon, I think we have slow motion explosion "Timeee?, Mr. Freeman"--G-Man.

I am not feeling well. I have finished Half Life 2 under 20 hours of play time.

I've finished the game at 8:58pm on 11/21/04

i dont know waht to say. im stunned. i have to relax, take a shower, eat. oh yes, most importantly, eat. im very hungry.

the game? its like everything i wanted it to be. it feels like any other game out there. it has that fun factor of halo. cold cloudy environments of call of duty or medal of honor. it has everything

It is boring and at the same time very interesting. it is easy and very hard to play.

It is Half Life 2!

i have 2300 screenshots. thats great. i gotta make some movies to capture the nonstop action.

i have dissembled my whole pc while playing the game 'cassue i thought my mobo was fried. so i had to take out everything. turned out that my cheap power supply went haywire. replaced for $70

im so hyped up now. i have to get some food now.

oh by the way, did i mention i finished the game first!

sanioll

HAVOC ENGINE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! for now.

sanioll

im still waiting here you know, when are you people gonna finish it.

I have finished it first. HeLL YeAh!

one thing i enjoyed most was capturing those flying razor sharp cutting robot bugs in the air with gravity gun and than catapulting them onto the tarmac or wall.

you suckers wait until you get your gravity gun charged and get energized with holy spirit, lol.you gonna be able to lift the souls of the ground. ha ha ha haaaaaa haaaa.

I love HL2 and hate G-MaN and sophisticated non simple explanatory ending.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I finished easy. Time for normal. I'm going through it on all three modes. God I love the blue Gravity Gun. And I WANT HALF LIFE 3!! That was the single best video game ending of all time! The whole last sequence inside the citadel, but especially the ending G-Man monologue.I actually like the G-Man now. Or at least, I don't hate him anymore. I've got my own theories about the whole thing, but I don't want to post them until I have a better look and go through HL2 again. I may have missed some things.

have you read Half Life 2: Raising the Bar? Its a Hardcover book chronicling Valve's History, the development of Half Life, and the development of HL2, with some very cool pics and stuff that even I, the worlds biggest Half Life nerd, did not know. For 30 bucks, its definitely worth it. It was written by the Valve guys, and it's got notes and scrawlings and all sorts of cool stuff. Did you know Half Life's original name was to be Quiver? Neither did I.

sanioll

I have finals coming in two weeks and i am still stuck with this game. WTF??

this is how media and entertaiment controls young kids like us. stupid young kids i meant to say.

i have 2500 screenshots now.

also. i turned off antialiasing and anisotropic filtering off and now im running the game at 1600x1200 resolution and it seems it is giving me decent playable frame rates of at least 25. not bad at all.looks really good.

this game is simply awesome and very cool. <---sounding like a kid there

but i didn't like the parts where you had to fight with your squad. it reminded me boring parts of Call of Duty.

If this game had light/shadow rendering of Doom3 and texture detail/quality of Unreal 2, it would've become the best game of all times(which it already is) and I wouldn't hesitate to pay even $200 for it. ================================================

do u have problems with your pc while playing HL2??

i load the game and sometimes my pc suddenly shuts off. it just cuts off, like you held the power button for 5 secs. that kind of shut off. wonder why. i recently fried my power supply and got a new better one for $70.

is it my mobo. its ASUS, it shouldn't be. (asus p4p800)

got bored with HL2 already? what am i saying? you can't get bored with it.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I would have gladly paid $100 for my collector's edition. I love this game!! I'm going through on Normal difficulty now, but I haven't had a lot of time to play in the last few days.

Man...I'm glad I'm not in school this semester or I'd just end up failing all my classes. Good thing I'll have finished it on all three difficulties by the time spring semester starts!

Of course, at that point I should be deep into building my MOD and that will kill my grades even more...oh well, its a worthy cause.

This game makes me feel like more of a silly little kid and a nerd than anything else out there. I'm such a huge Half Life geek...I have to go wash my HL2 shirt because I got spaghetti sauce on it...dammit I can't show off my HL2 pride!!!

sanioll

i wonder what happened to those stuff that i saw in preview movies.

i have seen and own couple cds full of half life 2 movies. in full game some of the details, maps and especially one thing i was looking forward the Hydra (not the high quality weed ) which comes outta water and kills that soldier.

what the fck happened to it? i didn't see it in the game. nor i saw the same car like inthe movies. this is bull****.

see pic below for hydra. if you have seen it anywhere in the game, let me know.

logical explanation of some stuff missing IS:

1. expansion pack is coming up

2. they had too much trouble implementing those stuff so they took it out.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

As far as the Hydra is concerned, it is the latter.

"The hydra was my pet feature, a monster I wanted in from the starte. We designed whole areas of the game around it. I personally spent about six months on and off getting all the movement algorithms and physics to a working state. Everyone was pretty skeptical it was even possible when I started, so I kept a pretty low profile, but oneceI got some of the early fought AU drafts up and running people would sneak one into a map and check it out and get all excited and start pushing me to hurry up and finish it. However, the closer it got to being done, the more its fatal flaw was becomeing clear: it was amazingly cool to watch it fight other characters, but it was zero fun to play against it in first person. When it attacked others, as the player you could see this great big glowing giant worm snaking through the map, knowcking stuff over and putting on a great show, but when it attacked you, the player, you'd just see this non-descript blob doing something vague, then you'd be dead. Cutting it was personally very painful, but I had to do it: when a design just isn't working, it just isn't working. I'd still like to see this in the Half-Life universe somehwere, maybe rething its AI more along the lines of an Antlion."

-Ken Birdwell

From "Half Life 2: Raising the Bar"

As for the car, there were some other designs that were being considered for player use, but they were either discarded or changed to Combine use because of gameplay issues and storyline changes. The APC you see driving around was initially going to be a player controllable vehicle, but it didn't work out. Plus, it makes more sense to have the player restricted to a home-made buggy when he is part of an underground resistance. The APC and other Combine vehicles respond only to Combine armor, so at least a valid explanation is offered story-wise as to why you can't commandeer one.

The creature I am most disappointed about not seeing in the game is the Bullsquid. I mean, it was promised to return in HL2, and it was always one of my favorite monsters from Half Life, so I was excited to see the new Source version, and see what the new AI would be like. But there's never a Bullsquid in the game.

There were a lot of changes to the story in the last little bit of development due to parts of the game being built around a single item, and then having the item not work well in gameplay, a la the Hydra. It sounds like we'll be seeing Hydras in HL3, though, unless they are abosolutely un-workable.

As for an expansion coming soon, I would bet money it's through the eyes of Alyx, and will be out in less than a year. I gather that you haven't finished the game yet, but I'll just say that after that incredible ending, the biggest question in my mind is, "What happens to Alyx?"

See, this is why I feel like a nerd when it comes to this game. I have yet to be asked a question about Half Life 2 that I could not answer right away. Makes me proud!

Oh, and...No. I do not have ANY problems running Half Life 2 on my PC. I can even run it and then shut it down and run other games and then go BACK to HL2 without the system getting sluggish. There is a tiny bit of choppiness after loading for about three seconds, and that's it! It runs BEAUTIFULLY with FSAA and Anisotropic Filtering enabled at 800x600. Not the highest res, but low res with FSAA and AF looks much better than high res without. I'm not sure what the mobo is (its actually my roommate's computer) but I know its a 2.4 ghz Athlon 64 with a 128 mb Radeon 9600 Pro and 512mb RAM. That's an awful low-end system to be running a game like this so well...I think Valve did a very good job making the game backward-scalable. I can't wait to see what it looks like on my parent's computer when I stay with them over Christmas!

sanioll

from the overall storyline experience it feels like gordon freeman is not real. maybe he is a super soldier being trained in a virtual world. and his client contact is G-man.

yes i wonder what happened to Alyx? i got the game with her on the cover. she is one good piece of a meat.

i definitely need an expansion pack NOW!! it shouldn't take a year for expansion pack. And i do hope that hydra shows up on next one.

DUDE, did you just type all that crap from the HL2 raising the bar? YOURE NERD, you really are.

sanioll

Even though it is gramatically incorrect, but:"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR!"

it is true. when you build your own PC, you better damn make sure to get best graphic card in the world. and i do hate when fans constantly fail on exotic cards after couple months. BUT Heres the result of having a monster PC.

sanioll

You know i need a good projector for free, with at least 1024*768 resolution. or a big TV. at these settings game runs extremely flawless, well at least 40fps.

so 1024x768 resolution and all the filtering turned onto insane levels. connect it to a projector and see Gordon on the wall bigger than your size.

heres a screenshot for ya to see filtering antialising and anisotropic filtering doing its job. very smooth and high FPS. I LOVE HL2.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

40 fps is flawless? No...I'm averaging about 90 fps. THAT's flawless! I regularly see as high as 120. I've got some wierd videos from the game that I'll post is just a minute once I have them uploaded...

...ok they are uploaded... 56k WARNING!! These are 10 meg and up!!!

I was screwing around with the crossbow and its "pin to wall" effects. This first one was a guy who I shot in the foot. Since his foot was pinned to the ground, he fell wierd. But the best part was what happened when I hit his corpse with the crowbar. Observe:

O, and pardon the framerates, the software I used was only set at 25 fps to save on file size.

Pinned foot

The other end of that same guy...inside the building. If you look close at the guy next to him, you can see his hand is pinned inside his body, but the fingers are protruding from his ***...

And a nice pan around of all my sadistic wierdness. See why I like Half Life 2?

Heh...I had some others and a wierd secret from the game but they were over a gigabyte each, so I just deleted them.

As for the secret, after you destroy the Hunter Chopper in the airboat, and before opening the gate second gate (the one you must use the jump to get through) and leaving the area, head around past the little shack and helipad (past the first gate) and there will be two pipes with grates a little ways off. Head over to them and use the airboat to climb in the one on the left, which is slightly ajar. I recommend using God mode, since the goo on the floor hurts you. But I made it fine without. To use god mode, go into advanced keyboard options and check the "enable developer's console" button. Then in the game hit ~ (tilde) and type "sv_cheats 1" and then "god." While you have cheats active, you can also use noclip, which can be nice for people who suck at the game and are not cabable of climbing the airboat to get in the piple. Type noclip again to turn it off. Head down the pipe and turn left. There's a Vortigaunt reciting poetry in "phase shift" which is the method of communication they use. Talk to it (Use it with "E") and it'll say some things to you about Black Mesa and the Nihilanth, their former slave driver, who you killed at the end of Half Life. The Vortigaunt is roasting a fast headcrab on a rotissary, and has a few more around a box. There's some health and ammo in the corner.
Modified by MinisterofDOOM at 9:07 PM 11/28/2004

sanioll

Aside from being the best game of all times and best game in the phuking world, i would like to show some examples of the game.

best facial animations to date. 32 facial skin movements w/lip syngkng to desdcribe emotional feelings.

sanioll

sanioll

BEST AI EVER, AND STUFF FROM EVERY FREAKING STUFF WE READ OR SEEN IN THE MOVIES. BUGS, MATRIX CRAP, STAR WARS YOU NAME IT. ALL KIND OF IMAGINATIVE WEIRD STUFF IS LOADED HERE WHILE STAYING STRAIGHT ON THE STORYLINE.

HERE SOLDIERS IGNORE YOU TO PROTECT THEIR OWN LIFES FROM ATTACKING BUGS.

sanioll

I DONNO WTF IS GOING ON HERE. I MESSED AROUND SO MUCH AND BROKE TOO MUCH CRAP THAT WHEN NEXT LEVEL WAS LOADED I HAD A CLONE OF ALYX BESIDES ALYX.

sanioll

GRAVITY GUN, HEH! REALLY ENJOYED JUST ELECTRICUTING HTE SOLDIERS. HERE THE BODY OF THE SOLDIER SHAKES FROM THE SHOCK. TOO BAD CANT CAPTURE IT ON A SCREENSHOT, WE NEED MOVIE HERE TO SEE.

sanioll

YOU PLAY HL2 IN 7.1 MODE REALLY LOUD AND TURN OFF HTE LIGHTS; WHEN ACTION STARTS YOU ARE SIMPLY IN THE MIDDLE OF IT. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF EXTREME ACTION. NO WAY TO HIDE. YOUR *** WILL BE SHOT!!

THE SOUND, ENVIRONMENT, AI, EVERYTHING MAKES THIS GAME, WELL EXTREME! HALO FALLS WAY BEHING THE FUN FACTOR IN THE ACTION DEPARTMENT.

Return to “Others”