Hair-Puller!! Need experienced electrician!!

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Noah10267
Car: 1979 Datsun 280zx

Alright guys, I have a real bad problem that has been kicking my butt for about a week and it's the same problem that I can't seem to solve. I have a problem that occurs whenever the ignition switch is turned to the "On" position which is the position right before the "Start" or the position that the key rests in once engine is started. The problem is that when the key is in the "ACC" position, all of my accessories work, however, the moment I engage the ignition, the accessories all shut off and don't work while the car is running. Please only reply if you have experience with electricity and can also tell me how to find the Acc/Ign relay... I have a 1979 280zx. I really need help because I'm a 17 year old kid who's trying to restore this car to its former glory and trying to do so on my own.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO!

First place I would check is the ignition switch itself. Obviously the wiring from the switch to the accessories is fine, and any associated relays also work. It's possible that when you go to the "on" position, the switch loses contact.

You'd want to check continuity between the appropriate pins to see if the switch is acting the way you'd expect. Normally there's a "always hot" terminal that goes from the battery to the switch, so you could locate that by putting your meter between that and ground with everything off. All the ignition switch does is connect other pins with this "common" pin based on the position of the key.

Noah10267
Car: 1979 Datsun 280zx

Thanks Elwesso, I will get on that ASAP and post the results here

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”