Hagerty Bull Market picks

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I just came across Hagerty's updated list of their Bull Market picks, as in cars expected to accelerate in appreciation.
Here they are with my unsolicited comments as I've driven all but 3 of them:

Nissan 350Z: They showed the more "looks" challenged version with the NISMO package, but my thanks to the drift community for liking and destroying so many 350Z's, which has helped sparked the values. (j/k)

Corvette C5 Z06 : I think AZHitman would agree with this. It's always been a huge performance bargain, and a fast, fun track day car even today.

Suzuki Cappuccino: Think a 2' shorter Miata. They never sold it in the US, but they're now 25 yrs old so they can be legally imported. I've only ever seen one.

Audi R8 with manual trans: Great cars and on my short list of sports cars I'd consider buying, if I were in the market.

Lamborghini Murcielago with manual tranny. Sexy, but a bit too fragile for my taste.

Mercedes SLR-McLaren: Gorgeous car, but out of my price range, plus it needs a man-pedal,

AMC AMX: Hagerty meant the first gen. Brutal fast acceleration in a straight line in the 390-ci version, but gawd-awful brakes, and handled like a typical 60's American car. In other words, a traditional muscle car. But I personally preferred the more sexy looking 2nd gen Javelin AMX.

Hummer H1. Yep the poster child car for conspicuous fuel consumption yet a cool vehicle. FWIW, I'd choose an old Land Cruiser before an H1 but that's me.

Toyota Pickup SR-5. In Europe, the Hilux. Pretty much indestructible if you can find a non rusty one.

Saab 900 Turbo. I agree with this one having worked at a Saab dealer when they first came out. Thoughtfully engineered and well built car. Ahead of its time.

Thoughts, comments? Anything they got wrong?

I think I would have removed the Suzuki and replaced it with a Honda S2000.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I think more modern manual transmissions in general will command a premium.
The S2000 is already pretty high up in price, I can't imagine it "accelerating" in appreciation.
The H1 could go either way. People think they are cool until they actually try to drive one haha.
Other than that, I agree with you/them.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Bubba1 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:38 am

Toyota Pickup SR-5. In Europe, the Hilux. Pretty much indestructible if you can find a non rusty one.

Just found out the Toyota Pickup SR-5 didn't have an actual name! Seems crazy now. They just called it a Toyota pickup. Learned from this video

And it was Marty's truck in Back to the Future. Loved that thing.

Return to “General Chat”