Gutted Evaporation Canister

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
missionstreet
Car: 98 Pathfinder

Just to be sure, my evap can was breaking up into pieces inside so I temporarily emptied it pretty much completely while I was replacing lines to it.

Question, will this somehow allow outside, unfiltered air to be drawn back up into the system, I have P1447 which I believe is control purge flow monitoring.

I had a can crack at the seam on a VW once and not getting on it immediately, evolved from a small to large evap leak. I was burning oil at an increased rate ever after that.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If the canister still has proper seals and all the valves are still working, you'll just be venting hydrocarbon fumes from the tank into the air when it's parked. However, if the bag came apart, it's very likely you have a complete mess of charcoal particles gumming up the plumbing. P1447 is sort of a "jackpot" code because there are a zillion things that can cause it.

If I recall correctly, Nissan went from a stepper-type purge control to a duty-cycle type someplace in the '97~'99 timeframe, and made numerous other changes along with it. So exactly which valves you have and which types, I don't know. In addition to the evap vent and purge control valves, you may have a purge cut valve, vacuum cut valve, and vacuum cut bypass valve.

missionstreet

Thanks for this info, while replacing brake lines with OEM sections (amazingly were still available) yes I had the entire evap line (along with the fuel/brake bundle of lines) from the passenger wheel well to the rear axle dropped and I blew out all the little pieces with shop air.

I believe there was a valve that went bad near the can and I replaced that while in there.

As far as outside air drawn in, I guess the lack of a small/large evap leak code is a good thing?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, it should mean the system is still sealed, just not purging or venting properly.

missionstreet

Ahh so now ill get that pressure release when I open the gas cap as I had missed that for a short while

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”