Guns

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

Cold_Zero wrote:
I don't know, my 454 gives me the tingles and I get a big smile on my face when I shoot it. Large frame revolvers are fun to shoot I guess.
can I get an Amen from the choir?

<---needs to send the Model 29 in for an action job.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Hehe, I don't mind, use it all you want.
Nismo_Freak wrote:The revolvers I would argue can contain more than capable rounds. The energy of a .454 Casull, .44 Magnum, and some of the others are up around the same energy as .223 and other rifle calibers. That's going to send a message at 5 yards, hell the noise alone is enough to make most people flinch.
Nope, even those rounds pale in comparison to a real rifle round. I do not consider the .223/5.56 to be a real rifle round. I've always felt the M16/M4 was a pop gun. It was nothing like the satisfying thump from the M24 Sniper Weapons System which chambered the 7.62 NATO. The interesting thing about those rifles is that they had the long action, instead of the typical short action, so that they could be easily rebarreled for SF to use the .300 Win Mag. This is the round I really wanted to use, but was stuck with the 7.62, which is still far and away better than the 5.56.

There is no handgun round that even comes close to touching something as mundane as a 7.62 NATO, much less a .300 Win Mag.

Please keep in mind guys I am talking handgun rounds, not handguns built around rifle calibers.

Mr1der

next rifle I buy I think will either be a M1A SOCOM or a Savage Tactical in .300 Win Mag

bobotech

My newest acquisitions for the month:

An RPK with a Chinese drum and a Cimarron Thunderer in 45LC with the birdshead grip and 3 1/2 barrel.

I love AKs and cowboy guns. Odd mix but fun!

The weird range officer thinks I'm strange, I will bring out a couple of Ruger Blackhawks in 357mag, a lever action of some sort and a couple of AKs to shoot.

JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

bobotech wrote:
An RPK with a Chinese drum and a Cimarron Thunderer in 45LC with the birdshead grip and 3 1/2 barrel and food for Jesda.
Fixed.

bobotech

bobotech wrote:An RPK with a Chinese drum and a Cimarron Thunderer in 45LC with the birdshead grip and 3 1/2 barrel and food for Jesda.
JimmyMethod wrote:Fixed.
LOL!!!

Thats just a young kitten, it would be veal to him.

Mr1der

I'm still not sure how I feel about birds heads...

I had a .22LR at one point...I might get another...dunno.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Repo Man wrote:Nope, even those rounds pale in comparison to a real rifle round. I do not consider the .223/5.56 to be a real rifle round. I've always felt the M16/M4 was a pop gun. It was nothing like the satisfying thump from the M24 Sniper Weapons System which chambered the 7.62 NATO. The interesting thing about those rifles is that they had the long action, instead of the typical short action, so that they could be easily rebarreled for SF to use the .300 Win Mag. This is the round I really wanted to use, but was stuck with the 7.62, which is still far and away better than the 5.56.

There is no handgun round that even comes close to touching something as mundane as a 7.62 NATO, much less a .300 Win Mag.

Please keep in mind guys I am talking handgun rounds, not handguns built around rifle calibers.
I disagree, look at the energy contained in a 7.62 NATO at 200+ yards. It's roughly the same energy, or less at 250+ yards, as a .44 Mag at typical pistol range. So it has the same power as a 7.62 NATO at normal effective rifle engagement range.

If you were shooting people at 50 - 100 yards with the M24 then it'd be different, but the entire principle is that you engage targets well beyond those ranges. And people, including you, hold it to be effective, because it is.

I suppose it's a bit moot as 98% of the handguns out there are lucky to have 1/4th the power of either round. I'm just arguing for the hell of it.

Nismo_Freak

This thread makes me want .500 S&W

bobotech

I never liked the birdsheads much until I tried it.

Now I really like it.

Plus I can use it as a conceal carry piece if I so wanted to.

bobotech

Nismo_Freak wrote:This thread makes me want .500 S&W
I would be plenty happy with just a 460 S&W. Then I could shoot 454 Casull and if I wanted to shoot economy rounds, plain ole 45LC out of the same gun.

Repo Man

Nismo_Freak wrote:
I disagree, look at the energy contained in a 7.62 NATO at 200+ yards. It's roughly the same energy, or less at 250+ yards, as a .44 Mag at typical pistol range. So it has the same power as a 7.62 NATO at normal effective rifle engagement range.

If you were shooting people at 50 - 100 yards with the M24 then it'd be different, but the entire principle is that you engage targets well beyond those ranges. And people, including you, hold it to be effective, because it is.

I suppose it's a bit moot as 98% of the handguns out there are lucky to have 1/4th the power of either round. I'm just arguing for the hell of it.
This is just stupid Alan. I'm not even going to justify this with a response. Now, get up here and help me with my damned SR...

Nismo_Freak

Repo Man wrote:
This is just stupid Alan. I'm not even going to justify this with a response. Now, get up here and help me with my damned SR...

I'm seeing how long I can drag this thread out. I figured you would make some long diatribe.

What's wrong with your SR? ... I guess that'll keep this thread going for a while, damn SR engines.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

We just got a call over the intercom at work. Police are looking for a shooter (suspect) in our area and they are locking down the buildings in the area.

I get a phone call 5 seconds later from a buddy here at work.. Do we need to go out to our trucks and get something?

Repo Man

Police seek Fishers robbery suspect

Updated: April 2, 2008 11:19 AM EDT

Fishers bank robbery suspect search Fishers - Police are searching for a robbery suspect and have a perimeter set up from 96th to 106th and Lantern to I-69.

Police were responding to a call of a robbery outside a National City Bank on 96th Street shortly after 9:00 am.

They say the suspect approached a Wendy's manager in the parking lot of the bank as he was preparing to make a deposit. The manager got back in his car and tried to drive away when the suspect shot him through the driver's side window and ran without any money. The victim pulled around the parking lot to the drive-through, and bank workers came out to assist.

The victim was taken to the hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8106266

What kind of random dumbass robs a bank and takes off on foot?

Cold_Zero and I can see the news helos from where we work if that indicates our proximity to the crime scene.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Heck, they had Indiana State Troopers in the parking lot going through the lines of cars here at work...I hope they catch this scumbag

Return to “The Great Outdoors”