Gun question. Should students be allowed to carry guns on campus?

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

ArizonaG35 wrote:In Arizona, our law states that you cannot carry a firearm into any establishment that serves alchohol by the drink (Bars) and any establishment that has a posted sign at it's entrance stating "no weapons allowed"... I don't carry in bars or restaurants, but often times I don't see the "no weapons allowed" sign... They're not always clearly posted... Oooops! My bad! Since my weapon is concealed, no one is the wiser... what they don't know won't hurt them. I carry a slim Walther P99 tight on my hip so with a shirt untucked, you'd NEVER be able to see it.

If I were ever in a place (Like a mall) and some disturbed individual decided to shoot the place up and I stop him by shooting him, I highly doubt the prosecutor would press charges against me for carrying a firearm in a prohibited place. Even so, I'd GLADLY take the misdemeanor charge if I knew that my "illegal" actions saved mine or someone elses life.

Please know that I am a licensed and certified concealed weapons permit holder and I do not condone illegal possesion of a firearm and would never recommend anyone partake in wreckless or improper behavior. As a gun owner though, I would not be able to live with myself if I knew that I could have potentially stopped a murderous rampage and did nothing about it.
Brilliantly-stated.

Here's my [uneducated] take on the matter:

One: If you're going to carry, carry openly. There's something in our psyche that recognizes a person with a sidearm strapped on as "he/she who is not to be jacked with". I see that as a good thing.

Two: Permits should require extensive training. The ONLY reason I don't carry (in a state that has very liberal [meaning lax] gun laws is because I am not a gun expert, and I believe one should be an expert before one carries.

Three: I completely agree with the "Who is more likely to break the law" argument. Banning weapons on campuses serves NO ONE but the bad guy.

I'd feel perfectly safe and secure in a classroom full of guys like Repo, ColdZero and ArizonaG35 packing heat, and I'd probably be LESS likely to carry - knowing they've got my back if the poopie hits the fan.

fayceoff

rn79870 wrote:It scares me to think that someone responsible enough to get a permit to carry a gun would be irresponsible enough to do drugs. Any conviction for drugs should be an automatic bar to gun ownership. I'm not sure about that but isn't that the case?
I agree with the sentiment, but the answer is that it depends on the type of drug conviction and the state you live in. Most states only block gun ownership for convicted felons, but you could theoretically have a marijuana possession charge (for example) and maintain your right to firearms... I was mostly thinking about the law here in VA which says that even if you have a valid CC permit, you can't carry your weapon into a bar. I think if I'm carrying, I'm out with my family and we decided to stop off at Chili's for a bite to eat, whether or not I'm armed should not be an issue. If I'm getting drunk while armed, that's a problem.

fayceoff

AZhitman wrote:One: If you're going to carry, carry openly. There's something in our psyche that recognizes a person with a sidearm strapped on as "he/she who is not to be jacked with". I see that as a good thing.
I agree with that to a degree, but one of the things you learn in my line of work is to think like the bad guy. If a terrorlst or some other type of career criminal sees you with your gun and he's absolutely determined that he's going to do his dirt, then you, as the person who might be likely to interfere with his success, are the first person he's going to target. That's why I prefer concealed carry and why you'll never see me wearing any Law Enforcement or AntiTerrorism t-shirts outside of the gym...
AZhitman wrote:I'd feel perfectly safe and secure in a classroom full of guys like Repo, ColdZero and ArizonaG35 packing heat, and I'd probably be LESS likely to carry - knowing they've got my back if the poopie hits the fan.
Damn, dude, you always leave me off your tough-guy lists... That hurts.

Modified by fayceoff at 5:58 PM 4/24/2008

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

fayceoff wrote:Damn, dude, you always leave me off your tough-guy lists... That hurts.
I here by decree you are the #1 NICO tough-guy. All those in favor say Aye, All those opposed click Nay

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

Cold_Zero wrote:
I here by decree you are the #1 NICO tough-guy. All those in favor say aye, All those opposed <click the browser back button>
Here here! You go toughguy!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Cold_Zero wrote:
I here by decree you are the #1 NICO tough-guy. All those in favor say Aye, All those opposed click Nay
AYE! (don't hurt me)

Return to “Politics Etc.”