[DIY] Guides to Switch AWD to RWD -and- Disable Sunshade Lower on Reverse

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Brian35XR
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

Ordering the Sprint Booster for my car got me motivated to finish some hacks I've been wanting to do but have not been done yet as far I am aware so there were no previous threads on these. I finished them both and wanted to provide guides for anyone else interested. :bigthumb:

The prerequisites to both of these mods is to remove the Trunk front finisher (TOP PANEL) and the Trunk side finisher LH (DRIVER SIDE). I didn't take pictures of this part as it's just removing those plastic clips. You don't have to disconnect the battery for either of these mods.

DIY AWD to RWD Switch:

This was inspired by this thread from our G37 cousins: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-inst ... witch.html. Unfortunately the location of the AWD control unit on the M isn't behind the glovebox like the G, and it doesn't have the same color sequence on the wire harness.

1. Per page DLN-11 of the service manual, our AWD control unit is listed is listed in Figure E as Item #6. This is behind the left trunk panel.

2. It might not be clear from the service manual, but the AWD control unit is BEHIND the metal panel near the clear run-off tube. Follow the black wires and and unclip it from the harness.
-
-

3. On the G37 forum, some people cut the ground to the Power supply (AWD solenoid) but this caused burnt fuses. We're looking for the ground wire to the Ignition switch instead which is green on their cars, but per the service manual ours is the #7 (YELLOW) wire:

4. Cut the yellow wire with enough slack to tap (splice, soldier, etc..) to an I/O switch like shown (tape exposed ends on the wires/switch terminals if needed):
-
-

5. Pick a good spot to mount the switch and you're done!
-

When the switch is ON the AWD on the dashboard will be ON. The car must be OFF when flipping the switch ON/OFF else people have reported burnt fuses.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I don't believe this mod to cause any ill effect to the actual AWD system. The ATTESA system is set to activate a fail-safe if any malfunction is detected in AWD system which locks the wheels to a (0:100) ratio even in normal operation. (High load, transfer case temperature too high, front wheels are larger than rear wheels, etc...)

Disable Sunshade Lower on Reverse:

This is for the peeps with the Technology (Touring pkg?) and never use their sunshade because of the hassle of having it to put it back up every time they go into reverse. This is a much simpler mod and does not require any switches (unless you want to be able to toggle the effect). I don't have good pictures for this one but it is very simple:

Per the service manual, the Sunshade Control Unit is located in the rear deck behind the actual sunshade and under the sunshade motor. However this may require removing your rear seats, seatbelt anchors, rear deck, and you still may have a hard time getting to the harness. There is a simpler way below:

1. Remove the TOP Trunk Liner and locate the BOSE AMP on the left hand side. You will spot a 4-pin harness which is the ONLY wires going through an opening up into the rear deck:

2. We are looking for the wire which is 12v when in Reverse only and 0v all other times. This was the GREEN wire on the LEFT side of the harness. Note: The colors change on the right side and GREEN changes to PINK which goes to the sunshade control unit. Pay attention that you cut the green wire on the LEFT side, not the RIGHT. Make sure to check voltages in/out of reverse if needed!

3. Cut the green wire and you're done.. Your sunshade will no longer retract on reverse!

I'm sure some members will come up with good reasons not to do this (specifically the AWD mod) but for people that like to tinker with their cars I thought these guides would come in handy. Hope these will help some new owners or people that search for these on google. :bigthumb:

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So I can whip the rear end of my M56x out now!?

AWD light on = AWD enabled
AWD light off = RWD

Correct?

This is interesting...

Brian35XR
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

Ahh looks like I said that backwards..

Switch OFF: AWD light is ON, the AWD is DISABLED.
Switch ON: AWD light is OFF, normal operation.

Don't see that I can edit the post but should be clear. (Fault to the AWD system causing warning light to illuminate)

ibc
Car: Infiniti M56x

What's the benefit of disabling AWD? What's the difference when driving? Does it shift any better? Faster takeoff? Anything noticeable?

EdBwoy

Thanks for sharing these tips. This is the kind of stuff that helps forums thrive.

I especially like the sunshade-disable. I was planning on doing it to my other M before I sold it. That sunshade was noisy too, so you'd think you bumped into something when in reverse. Little heart attacks every weekend.

For those curious but not willing to commit the time to the full AWD mod quite yet, you can achieve the same result by pulling your AWD fuse.
I tried it in my M56x and I didn't like the way the car handled, so back it went! YMMV

Brian35XR
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

I'm surprised these guides didn't get more traction here! Then again only someone that was REALLY interested in doing either of these would actually be seeking out this information.

I've noticed that with the Switch OFF on the AWD mod, the AWD light on the dashboard would eventually go out by itself after a few weeks. To my knowledge the AWD system was still disabled as the rear tires would be able to spin out with minimal effort. The light can be reset by simply flicking the switch ON/OFF with the car off.

Also the Sprint Booster I ordered ended up causing fuel pedal engine codes after a few months of usage. It was a blast in that time though!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”