Guess who's back? back again! in a Skyline!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Well hey guys.
It's been a while.

So, I fell out of love with my Yota, and the lack of shifting in my life as my project was just coming out of a standstill. 2JZ + bigger turbo & wastegate is nice and all, but I've always been a Nissan fan at heart (can't afford the Ferrari yet LOL). I've now come back into the Family and finally gotten my first R-chassis; I've had 6 S's and a Y33. I'm going to keep it as stock-ish as I can for now and use it as a fun daily driver. My lil' bro(Turbosauce)'s V35 250GT is a great (powerless) daily, but it's still HIS vehicle and non-turbo.

Oh, suspense getting you by now huh? No?
It's a 1992 HR32 Skyline with an RB20DET swapped in (I call her Skywalker :cool: ). Just minor upgrades, and needs some TLC which is really more labour intensive than cost intensive. Plan on making it a nice clean car to keep for a very long time unless an R32 GT-R wants to replace her because there can only be one...But I'd rather have both :D. But the first addition is going to be a Nissan Truck (probably gonna have a turbo KA/SR/RB as I've now had all of these engines) as I will soon be at a point of needing one for work purposes. Anywho, I'll be updating as I work on her, bring her back to 100% functionality before I start upgrading/tinkering.

Major issue:
Needs a new clutch
I want 5-lug hubs :poke:

Small issues:
Starter is rebuilt, sometimes it just spins without engaging
RF headlight isn't working (someone poorly wired in HID's, then someone else poorly started ripping them out :facepalm: )
PS line needs a copper washer :squint:
Needs to be timed
Needs new exh gaskets..to be expected I guess
The interior needs love. a good bit of love. :inout:
The paint is oxidizing, and stickers...so much stickers...
inst cluster seems to be in/out

The DET is swapped in, so I guess there was bound to be an issue or two. Overall I'm happy with it. :dblthumb: :woot: :bigthumb:

PantherRacer

Some updated pics of the engine (At least I think it's an RB20 afaik). The other one was before I got it, heh. I have some high res pics from my Digi cam...but I left that in a friends Altezza. :(

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

NICE! Paint isn't oxidizing, that's the clearcoat failing. Will have to be wetsanded and sprayed. Looks like you'll have a good time working on her!

PantherRacer

Ahh, well that eases a bit of my concerns about the paint. Probably going to get to sanding her down this week as well. Once my friend gets his new spray gun I should be able to clear it myself.

Gave the interior and Exterior a good cleaning today; tomorrow I'm most likely going to sort out the headlight wiring, put a washer on that Power Steering line, and paint these tiny rims.
I'm kind-of thinking of spraying them a gold/bronze color to go with the blue... Once I get the 5-lug conversion on it I have a set of Work Euroline DH's I'm going to throw on as my "VIP" rims. Which will mean I'll need a set of 5-lug racing rims... I'm Going to shoot for a balance of Vip style looks and raw performance.

PantherRacer

Back at it today, chipping away at wiring issues, cleaning (this car was DUTTY! I mean... Neglect is a serious thing.)
Felt good to get a lot of that dirt, dust, and rat poop out of it :)

But, back to these wiring issues. RF headlight is non-functional: Of course, as with all other R32's I've read about on forums, it was the rotary switch. Found that out when I decided to take the dash surrounf off to try and fix the buttons that were falling inside of it...unclipping all the plugs, the headlight plug didn't want to come apart. I had to take a pick tool and break the fused/melted pieces of plastic. :ohno:

So, after that, still getting connectivity between all of the pins in the headlight, so I'll need to replace that melted connector and make sure the wire is still good.

while I had the dash down, I found something very interesting...
See that green wire? the really long one? That's going from the ignition switch, to one side of a fuse, and if it's removed, there is NO power going to the ignition switch... WTF? W.T. Actual F? :squint:
:inout:
the culprit:
Lonza T.T.C. Turbo Timer...unfortunately my scouring the web has not turned up any instructions... I've been trying to navigate my way through the GT-R/GTS-4 wiring diagrams but they're not in t he best resolution for me to actually see the wire colors.... ugh.
I don't know if it's because I moved that janky crossover pink wire, but it doesn't keep the car on while it counts time (then WTF is the purpose of this turbo timer?????) So, I want to just yank it all out and put in a working TT...

The other issue is the Horn. The Relay is getting power to pins 1 & 2, but when the button is pressed, B+ voltage isn't coming to pin 3, and thus, no power makes it to the horn. Need to find a relay to test with/replace it. One of the 2 horns work, one died today lol that one final, pathetic squeak is all it ever did in life.

I'm still looking forward to working on it though. This is a great project. Lots of face-palm-worthy, baffling, and interesting things to uncover and fix.

PantherRacer

Oh yeah, took out the driver's seat to clean under it today... JEEZ-SOLE these things are HEAVY! I mean WOW! I now think S-chassis seats are lightweight deals...Definitely on the lookout for Racing/bucket seats now. Weight reduction and some Good Suspension will have this Sedan just right :D

PantherRacer

So, been too long since an update, here's how things progressed:
*Got my clutch changed and the gearbox back on, replaced missing bolts from the trans mount and a few bellhousing bolts. Still missing the lower bellhousing cover though. Need to locate one. Also need to bleed the clutch system. The fluid is dirty as idk what.
*The power-steering leak that was caused by a missing copper washer has been rectified, but I guess the time the pump was low on fluid has caused a few things to go out in it.
*There was a stud for the driveshaft carrier that had busted through the metal, So got that welded back in place.
*Got the Starter replaced, have to take apart the older one to see what's wrong with it, but I believe it could've been the wrong one, the body on it is noticeably larger than the new one, and I noticed some teeth on my flywheel were a bit scuffed.

The main issue now is the misfire. I think it's a compilation of different issues, but the main ones are as follows. The engine is missing on cylinder #1; The injector is firing, and it didn't follow the coil when swapped around. After testing, determined it is an ECU issue, and using an RB25 ECU confirmed that the coil for #1 and it's wiring are in fact working. Pulled the ECU apart, noticed someone had been in it before, because the covers were on the wrong sides, and inspecting the board moisture had gotten in. Cleaned it up a bit, but most likely need to solder in a wire to reconnect the damaged circuit.
There are flat spots in the rev range. I suspect it's the TPS, but I'm holding off on testing that until I either get a new ECU or repair this one.
There are a few exhaust leaks. Will deal with them as time and funds provide. There was a boost leak (sounded like a party horn) and a few vacuum leaks (hoses just going to atmosphere), got those sorted out.
Checking the ignitor and coil wires for that miss, found two ground wires hanging out in space and I got those bolted back down. Covered the boots in electrical tape, replaced a missing spring, and straightened out one that was bent all out of shape. Car definitely ran healthier afterwards, though cyl 1 is stil d-e-a-d.

There are a few little things I want to get done, like putting in the boost & oil pressure gauges, fixing the fuel gauge (ran out of gas yesterday. D'OH!), new tires, new shocks (or some coilovers!), Getting it painted...Either spray cans or plasti-dip, a full paintjob is not really in the near future lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8TjdR ... DH4c0TVKuQ Putting my project on youtube, as much as I can remember to record lol. Going to keep it as current as possible, have a bunch of vids to upload now actually... Not to mention more picz for this thread!

PantherRacer

"Lots of face-palm-worthy, baffling, and interesting things to uncover and fix."
Little did I know just how true that statement would be...

*Not going to list problems and fixes in exact chronological order, will moreso group the similar issues together*

So, been driving back and forth to work and home, realized the car had a misfire. First thing I checked was the coils, noticed that cylinder #1's coilpack wasn't doing anything whatsoever. Moved that to cyl #2 and the miss didn't move with it. Checked all of the wiring and the igniter and it all checked out to be in working order, though a bit time-worn (and with some loose grounds). Turned out the ecu isn't sending the pulse to fire the pack. Threw in an RB25 ecu and the engine ran (not the best but it ran) and all the packs were firing... Take the ecu out to inspect it for burnt circuits/diodes/resistors, couldn't find any. Also, someone had been tinkering with the ecu before, as the front cover was on the back and vice versa. Those who know about these things know there are tabs to ensure they go where they're supposed to, so there was a sizable gap on each side. Inside there was a bit of white residue where water/moisture got inside obviously. On top of all that, after cross referencing the number the ecu is for a manual RB20DE, just great. This is where that issue remains. I need an ECU.

As for the coils, I wrapped the boots and windings, then replaced a missing spring. She definitely ran better after that. For a while.

Now, fuel... One morning I was driving to work, nice and easy, plenty of time to get there before the day starts... She sputters and dies like half a mile away. F.M.Luck. Pull into a yard on the side of the road and keep trying to get her started; mind you, she started EVERY time, just would NEVER stay on or go above 500rpm or respond to throttle at all. Visually inspect the engine, find the wire for cyl 2's pack has broken fron the butt-connector (yes, butt-connector smh) fix that up but still have an issue. In a rush, I call a friend and go get some spark plugs and throw them in...Same issue. I'm frustrated at this point, but as fate would have it, a dude who lived in the yard was waiting for his son to come and pick him up, and he mentions that it sounds like fuel. This gets me thinking, because I did notice that I wasn't hearing the Walbro whine at all when turning the key on, but didn't pay much attn. So, I check again, and sure enough, not hearing it. check voltage, all's well. Next, I pull the unit out, SURPRISE SURPRISE! the walbro is missing a filter... and there's an extra fuel level floater floating around in the tank. WTF? Turn the key on, the pump gives the littlest whine and dies. GREAT. Go looking around for another Walbro to replace it, no dice. none would be in for at least a week... By this time, a friend who has an R33 and luckily lives 2 doors down from where I shut off passes by, let's me know there's a place that has fuel pumps that have decent flow ratings. Get one, put it in, car runs for a minute at a time now, but idles horribly low and has NO power, won't move an inch without dying...*O.M.G. why me!* Get it towed to work, and start messing with it. Pull maf plug, dies. Check TPS as well... ugh...
Co-worker asks if I clamped the return line to check that...I'm like nope... Sure enough, squeeze the line with pliers, the revs instantly jump up. It's not running the best, but better than it was. While the line was clamped, we notice the rail is pissing fuel... At this point, it's 5pm and I now have to leave the car in the garage over the weekend.
Monday morning, take off the fuel line, 5/16" a bit too big. Replace it with 1/4" hose, no more leak. Car still idles and runs HORRIBLY though. fluctuating idle, lack of power, backfiring like nobody's business, breaking up over 5Krpm. Figure I need an FPR, but want to make sure before I just throw more parts at it so I start scouring the internet for solutions and looking over every misfire thread I can get my eyes on. Ask around for an adjustable FPR but didn't have the $$ to throw at that when I still need this ECU.
Skip forward to today, Another good friend has a stock FPR they let me have, throw that on and my baby is running loads better (other than the missing cylinder,yinno?) So I'm a happier camper. Now if only I can get a DET ECU for the low my year would be made.

PantherRacer

So, finally replaced the blown N/A ecu that was in the car with a perfectly good det ecu. Car sounds like an absolute dream finally running on all 6 cylinders. There definitely more power and response as to be expected, but I'm going to need larger wheels. These 16"s are way to easy to spin when you aren't even trying.
The turbo is stil blown, but I have a 25 turbo lined up to put on in a bit. After that is on I have a boost controller waiting and I plan to get an safc just to do some minor fuelling adjustments.

Also fitted the GT Wing that I had on my S13 Silvia to the Skyline. Bought it back from the cars current owner. Plan to paint her soon. Progress!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”