GtiR rebuild?

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
858slider

I can't find anything on a rebuild for this turbo. I'm getting a lot of smoke out of my exhaust but not losing oil from my dipstick reading. any thoughts what it could be? my techs are telling me piston rings and others say turbo is done. what should i do? I like the power of this turbo and want to keep it.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Does it boost smoothly and to the right pressure? If so, I'd say rings, if not, probably turbo. Given that it's just out of the exhaust, it's probably the turbo. T28's are fairly common, so it may be cheaper to find another one than to rebuild the one you have.

858slider

Man, I just got the news..the engine is fine. had compression and leak down, and it's all good. what a relief. So it's the turbo. Rebuilding the Garrett will run me 500$ and the hybrid T28/T380 is 650$ how do these 2 turbos stand up to each other? should i rebuild or go with the hybrid?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

The stock GTi-R injectors and whatever fuel pump/pressure regulator you're running ought to be able to feed a turbo that's only moderately larger. You'll see gains. Is the hybrid new or nearly-new? If you're going to have to rebuild it fairly soon then it wouldn't be worth it, otherwise I say go for it.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”